SE530x6 - Need some advice.
Jan 4, 2011 at 7:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ProjectDenz

Headphoneus Supremus
Alright, so I have just been given a really old pair of se530's with a torn cable by my friend today. I wish to remould these into a 6 driver customs. However, I have a few issues with the SE530's sound from listening to another pair that I have.

First of all the treble feels too rolled off and harsh to my ears, compared to my TF10.

Second the bass feels a little rolled off, and lacks the nice punch that the TF10 has.

Third of all the mids feel little bit too bloated compared to the TF10.

Other than that I have no issues with the SE530.

Now my question is will remoulding them into a 6 driver custom fix these issues?

Thanks.

Jan 4, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #2 of 11
From what I'm reading, I'm confused as to whether you have two pairs of SE530 or are comparing it to the TF10.

I'd suggest trying to get used to the sound before you make any lasting decisions. Neither the TF10 nor the SE530 have decently good frequency responses, but I'd have to hand it to the SE530 on that aspect.

Jan 4, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #3 of 11
Sorry I have 2 SE530's and 1 TF10.

I enjoy the sound of both it's just that the rolled off and harsh treble, the rolled off bass and slightly bloated mids are stopping me from fully enjoying the SE530. It's just these little things that bug me.
Basically I was just wondering if getting the SE530 remoulded into a 6 driver custom would fix these issues.

Thanks.

Jan 4, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #7 of 11
I have no issues with the TF10's mids. Hmm, maybe I am just itching for an upgrade when there is no real reason to do so.

What I would realllly love though is the TF10 sound signature with improved clarity and separation. Mids don't need fixing to my ears.

Jan 4, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #8 of 11
Maybe it's better to say "it's no longer possible to have any other issues with the SE530s." Because you basically didn't like the response for the entire frequency range. In any case, putting them in a custom shell might or might not have a drastic enough response. It might if the fit right now is horrible with all tips that fit these; otherwise, you can expect subtle improvements here and there but the only guarantee is either louder or more articulate bass, since customs if done right will seal out enough sound. Bass is the most problematic region when ambient noise is concerned.

Quote:
First of all the treble feels too rolled off and harsh to my ears, compared to my TF10.

Second the bass feels a little rolled off, and lacks the nice punch that the TF10 has.

Third of all the mids feel little bit too bloated compared to the TF10.

Other than that I have no issues with the SE530.

Jan 5, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #10 of 11
Hmm...maybe I just need some more time with the SE530's and stay away from the TF10s. It's probably because I have only had the SE530 for like 3 weeks and listened to them for like 2 hours while I've had the TF10 for like 2 months with about 200 hours listening.

I sold one of my SE530's today which leaves me with the one my friend gave me with the torn cable. I had a little play with it and managed to get it working by bending the cable into a weird shape and apply a lot of tape to keep it in place so I will use these to get used to the sound.

Could it also be my source? I use the HiFiMan HM-601 as my source. It sounds a hell of a lot better out of the HM-601 than the clip. IMO The clip just can't power the SE530 it properly as it sounded really pitiful and weak compared to the HM-601.

Jan 5, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #11 of 11
Why not sell all three pairs & get an UE-11. The sound you describe as wanting is very similar to the sound of the UE-11 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back