SE530s have gone very quiet in one ear - can they be fixed prior to reshelling?
Feb 6, 2011 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

drouetn

New Head-Fier
Hi

My first post here. 

I have a pair of SE530s which are truly excellent, and about a year ago I got a set of custom sleeves made for them by ACS in the UK. They've worked really well until recently, when the sound level in one of the phones has dropped dramatically (but not disappeared). This happened about the same time as I was thinking of getting them reshelled, so my questions are

1. Is this a common issue, and is it likely to be a cable issue or something simple?
2. I was thinking about sending these off to Unique Melody for a reshell and potential upgrade - if the issue is simple, would any repair work of this type naturally be part of the reshell work (i am assuming the drivers will be stripped of the existing Shure cables as part of the work). 
3. If not, how simple and expensive is it to get them repaired prior to a reshell?

Thanks!

Nick

Feb 6, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #2 of 8
I had this happen with my SE210s, and it was just a matter of earwax clogging one of the tubes. 5 minutes with a wire loop and a needle and it was all cleared away and working perfectly again. Have you checked for that, first?

Feb 6, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #4 of 8
I'd try flexing the cable joint for that side to see if it is a cable problem. If not, and there is nothing clogging it, it is very likely that the driver might be dying.

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #5 of 8
Are they still in warranty? I think the warranty from Shure is 2years.
I had a similar issue with my right earphone and it eventually died altogether. Shure were very good and replaced them within a week of sending them back to them. Unfortunately, that second pair then failed within a few months - again the right ear. Shure again replaced them without quibble. If they are within warranty, I would send them back.

Feb 7, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #6 of 8
Whilst not all companies do, Unique Melody fully tests each driver before re-shelling an IEM. Just last month we had a SF5Pro come though for a re-shell with the low driver outputting about 3db less than the right. Naturally we replaced it. We even give you the results of your finished product in a frequency response chart.

In short, yes, we would check everything and can make replacements or substitutions along with our re-shelling and upgrade services!

We dont just make a pretty shell and slap the old stuff in!

Feb 7, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 8
I found the receipt and they are 3 weeks out of their warranty (bought them in NYC but from an authorised dealer). 

I've sent an email to Shure Customer services to ask if they can be repaired. If not then I may well send them off to UM for work along with a reshell. 

To UniqueMelodyAus - roughly how much is this to replace a driver if required?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back