se420 vs westone um2
Aug 16, 2007 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

wanderman

Headphoneus Supremus
okay, I am in the market for a new iem and I have narrowed it down to the two headphones in the topic title. I absolutely love my e3's. I am having trouble finding direct comparisons between the two headphones in the topic title. I am open to suggestions to headphones in this range or cheaper. I really don't want to drop more then 300 on iems.

Aug 16, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by saboteur1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try snagging some E500s/Se530s on eBay... They'll only be around $320 when all's said and done.

where can you get se530 for 320? how much difference is there between the e500 and se530 (worth the additional cost?)?

thanks

Aug 16, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 14
You might even get them for $280 if you keep your eyes open.

Curious though: if you absolutely love your E3's, why are you looking to replace them?

Aug 16, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 14
I believe by the positive comments that the Livewires are better (meaning more balanced) than either the Shure E5 or Westone UM2 (I've both and while excellent in the power handling and bass, have rolled off highs). The Livewires have a 30 day money back guarantee, are custom IEMs-meaning they will be the most comfortable and are priced around the UM2. What's not to like... Well, you won't be able to let anyone else hear them as they'll be custom made for your ears and thus won't be able to sell them later either. Shure and Westone are excellent companies also in case you still decide to go this way.

Aug 17, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might even get them for $280 if you keep your eyes open.

Curious though: if you absolutely love your E3's, why are you looking to replace them?

They are starting to die and look worn. Instead of getting another pair (on my second set of e3's) I want to try something different but the same, which is why I am leaning toward these.

I saw the ebay deal pretty sweet. Hopefully the 530's won't be boomy. I really want punchy accurate base, which is what I fear may result from a triple driver design.

Aug 17, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by rabbitsfoot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe by the positive comments that the Livewires are better (meaning more balanced) than either the Shure E5 or Westone UM2 (I've both and while excellent in the power handling and bass, have rolled off highs). The Livewires have a 30 day money back guarantee, are custom IEMs-meaning they will be the most comfortable and are priced around the UM2. What's not to like... Well, you won't be able to let anyone else hear them as they'll be custom made for your ears and thus won't be able to sell them later either. Shure and Westone are excellent companies also in case you still decide to go this way.

wow, I hadn't heard of the livewires until today.

I'm going to have to consider these for sure.

Also... Isn't buying e500/SE530 on eBay a bad idea? Doesn't that basically mean no warrenty/support from Shure?

Aug 17, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, I hadn't heard of the livewires until today.

I'm going to have to consider these for sure.

Also... Isn't buying e500/SE530 on eBay a bad idea? Doesn't that basically mean no warrenty/support from Shure?

As Shure states here, "The warranty applies to items that are purchased new in factory-sealed packaging regardless of the seller." The only issue might be that you might not get the full 2 years of coverage, since they would go by the date on the earphones rather than the purchase date. From what I've read though, Shure is very generous with their warranty, especially with the e500/se530, due to some cable issues.

Aug 17, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Apparently not. Someone confirmed that Shure was fine with eBay purchases as the Paypal receipt would cover the warranty, and if the receipt was missing they'd use the manufacturer's date code on the cable, so it seems (finally) it's 'safe' to get them off eBay

Aug 17, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #10 of 14
Thats great news.

Now just to decide if the E500/SE530 is what I'm looking for.
blink.gif

Aug 17, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by bosie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where can you get se530 for 320? how much difference is there between the e500 and se530 (worth the additional cost?)?

thanks

I said it: ebay.

Aug 17, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Thats great news.

Now just to decide if the E500/SE530 is what I'm looking for.
blink.gif

I had the E500s (twice) but couldn't get on with the treble, so I've taken a pot shot and ordered the dark horse Denon AH-C700 which cost $125. From what I've read so far, the treble is where they excel, so much so that it might be 'painful' at higher volumes according to this: http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/digitalmus...9291648,00.htm
But I'm curious as to how they line up in comparison and couldn't resist buying them
icon10.gif

Aug 17, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hopefully the 530's won't be boomy. I really want punchy accurate base, which is what I fear may result from a triple driver design.

I own some E500s and I don't think the bass is boomy. But I really have no way of knowing what you would think of them. One thing I can point out is that the sound will vary somewhat, depending on the tips you use. For example, I bought some black foamies for these and those are quite comfortable and also produce the deepest bass for me. The grey soft flex tips were slightly brighter because the bass was just a little less heavy. The triple flanges seem to be another step in that direction.

Aug 17, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #14 of 14
i own the se530 and the bass is no where near boomy ive had the ue 5 pro and they boom the se530 out of the water with boomy bass,the shures bass is punchy and accurate and clean,plus with super smooth mids and nice clean highs very slighty rolled who could ask for more from an iem i honestly think they are the best iem until ue11,the ue10 i found too flat and not very musical and ofcourse we have yet to hear the westone 3,the triple fi 10 are also good but i chose the shures for fit and looks and slightly cleaner mids

soozieq if serious highs are what your after you should jump at the er4p,arguable the best highs of any iem,but ive never been a fan of them because what is music without clean bass and mid bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back