Scotch
Oct 19, 2004 at 5:36 PM Post #136 of 653
Tyson, you are THE MAN.

If I were to buy a $50 bottle of scotch for my father for Christmas, which do you think would be the best choice? Bowmore Dusk?

Oct 19, 2004 at 6:48 PM Post #137 of 653

For $50, I'd say Glenmorangie 15, Highland Park 12, and Laphroaig 10 are all solid choices (going from least peaty/smokey to most peaty/smokey).

Oct 19, 2004 at 7:00 PM Post #138 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
Updated Glendronach 15.

I'm beginning to think it a general principle that the initial malty sweetness present in many whiskys is mostly eliminated by adding water--even a little bit of water. The benefit of adding water is that it often intensifies the nose and the middle--and you get more to drink!

Are there any exceptions to this principle? That is, are there any Scotches that start with a more pronounced sweet taste after adding water?
confused.gif

Oct 19, 2004 at 7:27 PM Post #139 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion
Tyson, you are THE MAN.

If I were to buy a $50 bottle of scotch for my father for Christmas, which do you think would be the best choice? Bowmore Dusk?

IME most people, even those who don't really drink whisky, like Highland Park (even my mother likes it). It's rather strong tasting compared to what most people are used to, but still not too overpowering whereas Laphroaigh is definitely an acquired taste for most people.

/U.

Oct 19, 2004 at 7:47 PM Post #141 of 653
daycart1,
IME, it depends on the malt. Many that are malty sweet as an overriding character do not lose sweetness from adding water (Longmorn, Scapa, Macallan, Dalmore all come to mind). What changes with water in these types of malts is that thick, almost syrupy texture.

But, on other malts that transition to other flavors in the middle and finish is that the initial sweetness does diminish, and other flavors (and the nose) do become more prominent, as you noted. All the Islays come to mind, as does Talisker, Springbank, Highland Park, and several others.

Of course, this is all "in my opinion", and I'm only one data point. I encourage others to drink a lot of scotch and make their own conclusions
icon10.gif

Oct 19, 2004 at 11:07 PM Post #142 of 653
I have been told by a scientist friend, that hangovers are caused by (besides poorly filtered alcohol), dehydration. He advised me to drink at least 24 ounces of water before retiring, and a smaller glass upon awakening.
Well, lo and behold, it really works. Even during extended drinking games like "Cardinal Puff" (which of course only warrants Absolute with a mixer, at the most), this has worked consistantly for myself and friends).
By the way, trying not to remind us of high school (27 years ago for me), does anyone else agree that music listening sessions, are more intense while drinking a fine liquor (no, not Bud). I find it stops my mind from wandering, and allows to truly become "at one" with the music.

Oct 19, 2004 at 11:41 PM Post #143 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
By the way, trying not to remind us of high school (27 years ago for me), does anyone else agree that music listening sessions, are more intense while drinking a fine liquor (no, not Bud). I find it stops my mind from wandering, and allows to truly become "at one" with the music.

*trying not to remember high school, 2.5 years ago for me*

And yes, I do agree that good drink (among other things) does enhance the listening experience; granted "good drink" being quite relative in my situation as I rarely have the money to spend on even acceptable forms of alcohol. Which is why I don't drink very often.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
For $50, I'd say Glenmorangie 15, Highland Park 12, and Laphroaig 10 are all solid choices (going from least peaty/smokey to most peaty/smokey).

I'm assuming these aren't your personal favorites, but choices you think most would enjoy?

Oct 19, 2004 at 11:54 PM Post #144 of 653
For $50, those are among my favorites. I would 2nd the caution about the Laphroaig though, it's something of an aquired taste, only go for that if you know in advance that he likes peaty, Islay style scotches.

Oct 20, 2004 at 12:55 AM Post #145 of 653
tyson;

did you actually prefer springbank 12 to 15?

I'm really enjoying this stuff, i'm no where near capable as you to describe how our why i like it so much but, it's refined, has the smoky taste, but it actually has a kick after it tastes good, which is very smooth and polished.

Definatly taste the wood in it, no where near as spicey as the cask strength macallan i got too.

Oct 26, 2004 at 4:49 AM Post #146 of 653
Added Ben Nevis 10 and updated Dalmore 12.

mjg,
I bought another bottle of the Springbank 12 yo 175th Anniversary bottling, and I definitely prefer it to the 15 yo. I don't like scotches when they get real woody tasting, and the 15 just has too much oak influence for my taste. The 12 yo keeps all the great stuff I love about the 15 yo, but without the excessive wood flavor.

Oct 30, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #147 of 653
Added Glenmorangie Burgundy wood (yum!) and added Talisker 20 to my "top 11".

Oct 30, 2004 at 1:31 PM Post #148 of 653
I recently went to a scotch tasting hosted by the Scotch Malt Whisky Society with a few friends from work. There were around 60 bottles to taste, along with dinner and a few cigars at the end. Distributors sent representatives to man booths where they did not scimp in pouring the best scotches.

In the words of Homer, my gastronomic capacity knew no sotiety. In other words, I got wasted from all the really good whiskey. Here are a few highlights:

Glenrothes 1992:
This is a nicely balanced light to medium bodied scotch. Almost creamy in flavor and sweet on the finish.

Laphroig 10 and 15:
Yikes, The Peat! The peat and smoke flavors were overpowering. I did not like this scotch and it seems that I am not a fan of the islay malts in general.

Glenmorangie 12 Burgundy Wood:
The hints of wine gave this a sweet pungent nose that I really did not like. In all fairness, I had this one after 2 glasses of Glenfiddich 30 and the Glenmorangie 12 Port Wood I really like, so I would give this one another shot.

Balvenie Lineup:
I tried the 12 Doublewood , the 15, and the 21 Portwood, and I was dissapointed with all of them. The Doublewood was very sweet but lacked body. The 15 had a harsh note. The 21 was not bad, but it had strong flavors of old oak, almost as if it had aged too much.

Glenfiddich Lineup:
Again, I was mostly disapointed here. The Glenfiddich 12 is poor and the 15 is unspectacular at best.

However, I had a few glasses of the Glenfiddich 30, and this one was one of my favorites of the evening. Well balanced with hints of smoke and oak and just a little sweetness. The finish was very long with sweet oak and floral tones.

Macallan Lineup:
The Macallan has always been one of my favorites and tonight was no exception. The Macallan 12 is my standard for the price due to its smoothness and balance of flavor. The older Macallans are better, though I agree with you that the highlight of the lineup is the Macallan 18. So rich and balanced with just the right amount of sweetness and long finish. The 25 is also one of my favorites, but I don't think it is that much better than the 18. You get a longer, more woody finish with the 25 and the nose is more complex. A really good scotch, but I have a hard time justifying the price.

I tasted a cask strength commemorative bottling which I did not care for and the new Fine Oak series, which is lighter in body than the regular Macallan. The Fine Oak bottlings are very good, but I think the regular Macallan is already light enough.

Highland Park lineup:
I had never tasted any Highland Park Whiskeys before and I was very surprised how balanced the whole lineup is. This line shares a rich flavor with a hint of peatiness, but thankfully nothing like the Laphroig. There is also a sweet finish. The 12 was good, although it lacked the finish and complexity of its older siblings. The 18 was spot on, sweetness balanced with peatiness and oak flavors and a long complex finish. The 25 was also really good, but about this time I think I was too drunk to tell fine differences between the 18 and the 25.

Oct 30, 2004 at 8:17 PM Post #149 of 653
Wow nice tasting session canman! I found out i could've attended the glenlivet society tasting this weekend, but too late, can't do it : / I can go whenever i want though apparantly, so i'll go to the next one.

I wonder what you didn't care for in the macalan cask strenth?

I think atm, it may be my favorite macalan, (i've only tried the 12 and 18 besides)

I'm real interestedin highland malts, and i recently recieved a gift of dalmore 12. Which is pretty nice, very sugary and not as smoking or woody as other scotches i've tried, but i'm so curious to try highland park.

How does the dalmore 12 year compare to the highland park 12 year counterpart?Also, my dad told me that he noticed maclan 18 went up to $130 in price! Now, it used to sell for 30-40 over the 12, is it still worth the value at this price? I was considering it for my next bottle.

Marc

Nov 1, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #150 of 653
I am really jealous of Canman, that sounds like it was a great evening! I'd like to try some very old stuff to see whether I like the extra woodsy taste...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back