SCL4 vs. New Apple In-Ear for first IEM
Jan 2, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #16 of 26
Thanks - I'm not really looking at the RE-anythings right now. It looks like I'm down to the UM1, Super.Fi 5 Pro, or SCL4. I can cross out the Apple IEM's because it sounds like any of these other three will easily beat them, and I don't care at all about white, or the apple stylings. Here's my take on the "final 3":

UM1 ($110) - The kingpin of comfort at this price, low-profile doesn't look dorky, good SQ but understated bass.

SCL4 ($80) - Good all around pick with accurate sounds. No defining characteristic. Good SQ with neither poor nor great bass.

Super.fi 5 pro ($180) - Apparently great. Nobody complains about lack of clarity or bass. Cable quality apparently leaves something to be desired. I also hear they stick out quite a bit and can be uncomfortable.

If any of the above is incorrect, please let me know.

So it sounds like the UM1's would be perfect but the bass sucks and I listen to music other than classical/jazz, then the Super.Fi 5 pro's are obnoxious to fit and stick way out so I guess I'll go with the SCL4's on the current $80 deal.

If anyone knows of a sound like the Super.fi 5 pro in the body of a UM1 for around $150 I'd love to know about it because that sounds like the perfect IEM for me.

First IEM is a tough pick and I thank everyone here for their input.

Jan 2, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #18 of 26
I have fallen asleep listening to my UM1 many times. Since they sit very flush in your ear, you can lie on your side and not feel like you have a fence post stuck in your ear.

Jan 2, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by bradofhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks - I'm not really looking at the RE-anythings right now. It looks like I'm down to the UM1, Super.Fi 5 Pro, or SCL4. I can cross out the Apple IEM's because it sounds like any of these other three will easily beat them, and I don't care at all about white, or the apple stylings. Here's my take on the "final 3":

UM1 ($110) - The kingpin of comfort at this price, low-profile doesn't look dorky, good SQ but understated bass.

SCL4 ($80) - Good all around pick with accurate sounds. No defining characteristic. Good SQ with neither poor nor great bass.

Super.fi 5 pro ($180) - Apparently great. Nobody complains about lack of clarity or bass. Cable quality apparently leaves something to be desired. I also hear they stick out quite a bit and can be uncomfortable.

If any of the above is incorrect, please let me know.

So it sounds like the UM1's would be perfect but the bass sucks and I listen to music other than classical/jazz, then the Super.Fi 5 pro's are obnoxious to fit and stick way out so I guess I'll go with the SCL4's on the current $80 deal.

If anyone knows of a sound like the Super.fi 5 pro in the body of a UM1 for around $150 I'd love to know about it because that sounds like the perfect IEM for me.

First IEM is a tough pick and I thank everyone here for their input.

bradofhill,
I was in the exact same boat as you are a couple days ago. I considered the same options. But ultimately I went with the dual driver Klipsch Custom 3 for $160 from Amazon. If you're not familiar with these you can do a quick search on the forum to see what they sound like. According to many, they beat the above 3 pairs. Looks like the only complain people have is the difficulty to get a good seal. If you have a 2.5 iPhone like I do, these are great cause the plug fits right in the ridiculous recessed jack.

Jan 3, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #20 of 26
Once you up your budget to $180 you also have to look at
SF5v2
FS Atrio
SA6
ER 4/HF5
Q-jays
X5/10
Custom 3

And by the way, the SCL4 was originally in that price range/league of IEMs, a big competitor to the ER 4 back in its day - but it is now $80 due to a HUGE discount price on them.

Jan 3, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by yakuzaph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bradofhill,
I was in the exact same boat as you are a couple days ago. I considered the same options. But ultimately I went with the dual driver Klipsch Custom 3 for $160 from Amazon. If you're not familiar with these you can do a quick search on the forum to see what they sound like. According to many, they beat the above 3 pairs. Looks like the only complain people have is the difficulty to get a good seal. If you have a 2.5 iPhone like I do, these are great cause the plug fits right in the ridiculous recessed jack.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be interested to hear how you like yours once they arrive. By the way, what are you upgrading from or is this your first IEM?

Jan 3, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once you up your budget to $180 you also have to look at
SF5v2
FS Atrio
SA6
ER 4/HF5
Q-jays
X5/10
Custom 3

And by the way, the SCL4 was originally in that price range/league of IEMs, a big competitor to the ER 4 back in its day - but it is now $80 due to a HUGE discount price on them.

Ya know - I think all those other options are great, but as a noob I'm not sure I'm qualified to evaluate the rest without having a more grounded starting point. Less options, combined with the fact that the SCL4 was, as you say, I'm feeling better about that decision. Unless someone drops a bomb on my idea in the next day or so I think I'll get on the waiting list at one of the places running the discounted price.

Jan 3, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by bradofhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be interested to hear how you like yours once they arrive. By the way, what are you upgrading from or is this your first IEM?

I will gladly tell you how they sound like when I get them. These are my upgrade from the Apple Dual Driver. I liked the Apple a lot. Actually because the Apple dual drivers really opened my eyes to the world of IEM, I had to shell out some more buck to go with a higher end pair of IEM. So technically the Custom 3 will be my first high end 'phones (some might disagree though
biggrin.gif
). Even though I returned the Apple's, I thought they were worth every penny considering the SQ, remote, style.

Jan 6, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #26 of 26
I have a pair of the SCL4's/E4c's and I'm quite happy with them, but yes, bass isn't one of its strong points. Mids and highs are excellent though.

The one problem with Shure is that the cord keeps getting brittle and breaks. I had a pair of E2's and the cord broke too. It's beside the point I know for your choosing, but make sure you have access to service or replacement if you're going for Shure.

And actually, right now I'm in the market for some UE Super.fi 5's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back