Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 21, 2024 at 9:06 PM Post #12,166 of 12,283
just buy my OG1 version , ill list it mid week for $1250 US. Same as a GS2 but has the og case- in beautiful silver.
Same price as a Gungnir used to be and its a step up for sure.

I don't have or use PayPal but thanks for the offer.

Apr 21, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #12,167 of 12,283
just buy my OG1 version , ill list it mid week for $1250 US. Same as a GS2 but has the og case- in beautiful silver.
Same price as a Gungnir used to be and its a step up for sure.
Not quite same as GS2, No remote, No NOS mode, No sweet slim chassis, No mute button, plus the original A1 Yggys are on a different firmware than current and even the original run of GS. The first GS run in the old chassis ran the same firmware as A2 which improved measurements, even using the A1 card.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #12,169 of 12,283
Not quite same as GS2, No remote, no NOS mode, No sweet slim chassis, No mute button, plus a different firmware between original A1 cards and even the first run of GS
My rebuttal would be-
id never use the remote,
i prefer the old chassis by a good amount aesthetically and it's still easy enough to open up for me,
ive never needed nor would use a mute button as I just turn down the dial on my amp to mute,
and Id never turn off MikeMoffat's megaburrito filter lol. That's sacrilege~!
Firmware difference doesnt bring sonic improvements, either, it's just to get all the afore-mentioned things to work- NOS mode, remote control, etc.

But I fully understand those things matter to some, just not to me. I appreciate you mentioning them bc it honestly didnt really come to mind.
I use the YGGY on my desk and not with any speaker set ups from a couch, for instance.
Also noteworthy is if i were upgrading cards to say MiB I'd get an EPROM with the updated code to match my kit in the box too.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 9:18 PM Post #12,170 of 12,283
My rebuttal would be id never use the remote, i prefer the old chassis by a good amount, ive never needed nor would use a mute botton, and Id never turn off Moffat's megaburrito filter lol. Firmware difference doesnt bring sonic improvements, either, it's just to get all the afore-mentioned things to work- NOS mode, remote control, etc.

But I fully understand those things matter to some, just not to me. Also noteworthy is if i were upgrading cards to say MiB I'd get an EPROM with the updated code to match my kit in the box too.
The firmware update is different between GS and A1 cards. Measurements are different.

Here's a link to the archived page of the old GS1

https://web.archive.org/web/20210603154531/https://www.schiit.com/products/yggdrasil-gs

And a screenshot from the FAQs

Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 9.19.27 PM.png

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 9:21 PM Post #12,171 of 12,283
The firmware update is different between GS and A1 cards. Measurements are different.

Here's a link to the archived page of the old GS1

https://web.archive.org/web/20210603154531/https://www.schiit.com/products/yggdrasil-gs

And a screenshot from the FAQs

isnt that just saying the new firmware on an A2 and how it differs from the A1?
I asked Schiit and they said the firmware for A1 cards in the GS is just the things that come with the '+' and nothing can be gained by adding that firmware to my Og1. They said if I want to go to '+' they would do that and it's one of the reasons they require us to send in units to do the '+' upgrade.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #12,172 of 12,283
^^ thats saying the new firmware on an A2 and how it differs from the A1.
I asked Schiit and they said the firmware for A1 cards in the GS is just the things that come with the '+' and nothing can be gained by adding that firmware to my Og1. They said if I want to go to '+' they would do that and it's one of the reasons they require us to send in units to do the '+' upgrade.
No. This is saying how the firmware on the GS1 is different from A1 original firmware.

Apr 21, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #12,173 of 12,283
Weird they straight up told me different by email.

Apr 21, 2024 at 11:48 PM Post #12,177 of 12,283
I emailed customer service and they told me that I could connect an amp to both the XLR and SE outputs on Yggy simultaneously but they told me not to operate both devices at the same time. They told me to make sure one device is powered off before turning on the other connected device. I will see if I can dig up the email to find the exact reason.

Apr 22, 2024 at 1:02 AM Post #12,178 of 12,283
Hopefully not shorting plugs on the Yggy SE out….
You’re absolutely correct! Shorting plugs are for unused INPUTS only.

Apr 22, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #12,180 of 12,283
One thing to consider about the A1 vs A2 boards is that the revized output section on the A2 boards has more current/voltage delivery capability. Apparently there was an issue using both the RCA and XLR outs simultaneously on the A1 Yggys, but not on the A2.

I don’t know if that’s still a limitation on the GS2 though.
This is the first time I am hearing this. Where did you hear about this issue? Any more details about it?
I emailed customer service and they told me that I could connect an amp to both the XLR and SE outputs on Yggy simultaneously but they told me not to operate both devices at the same time. They told me to make sure one device is powered off before turning on the other connected device. I will see if I can dig up the email to find the exact reason.
Would be interested in seeing this email if your willing to share it.

I have used my Yggy with both SE and XLR, with either both into my BHSE or with XLR into BHSE and SE into Taboo MKIII, with no issues that I could note. I have also run just one output at a time with no change in sonic performance that I could hear. I had the Yggy updated to A2 with no changes to sonic performance that related to running SE and XLR at the same time, that I could hear... YMMV and all that.

I also spoke to Jason and Mike at an event when considering the Yggy about the time when it was first introduced (listened to a prototype unit) and they did not mention any issues with running SE and XLR simultaneously. There were other issues we discussed that were being addressed or work on. They were upfront about the issues and explained the proto nature of the unit. With an, it ain't perfect but it works well enough to get peoples feedback attitude. The issues were packaging/build related and some fine tuning that they were considering. Been too long, so I do not remember the exact issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back