Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Mar 11, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #4,321 of 12,405
Just received the Stereohile April issue and they have the Yggy rated as a B digital processor .
Yet they have the Benchmark dac2 rated as a A+ digital processor .

What a friggin joke . I have listened to both extensively and the Yggy is a better dac in every respect .

Stereophile is in La La land .

I sold the Benchmark a year ago .

Mar 11, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #4,322 of 12,405
I was in your boat about a month ago. I had the 430 HA D for over a year and pulled the trigger on a Yggy. At first, I could not hear a huge difference and was a little disappointed. About a week ago I decided to A&B the two and there is a difference. Not night and day, but better. I hear little things that I didn't hear before . I think the best way to describe it is the sound is more clean and clear. I am using the LCD-4.

I'm really hoping for the best, especially with the price.

Mar 11, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #4,323 of 12,405
First of all, my current source is my macbook with a Tidal HiFi subscription. This is why  I am using either USB input or optical (through an apple tv 3 of Yggy). When I am disconnecting my laptop from Yggy, I usually disconnect the USB cables from both ends (macbook and Yggy). Should I leave the USB Type B jack connected to the Yggy and the other end "free"? Is it safe?

So most probably I have to add also one for mine. Thank you.

Oh I appreciate why you're using USB - just pointing out its not the best quality wise.

Personally I wouldn't unplug either end but if you move your laptop around then I'd only unplug it from there.

Mar 11, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #4,325 of 12,405
Just purchased a Yggy.

Should be getting it on Tuesday.
I think you will be happy with your purchase . It will take almost a week to let it warm up and break in if new but the wait is worth it.

Mar 11, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #4,326 of 12,405
  Oh there is something else I forgot to ask.
When I had the Gungnir, there was this issue where when the outputs were connected to my Pioneer, there was a ton of distortion in the audio from the second audio output from the Gungnir  when the receiver was turned off. But it went away when the receiver was turned on. Someone mentioned that when the receiver was off it shorts out its ports and Gungnir is effected. I wound up having to use a powered a/v distribution amplifier in between the Gungnir and Receiver to get rid of the distortion while my receiver was turned off.
Has anyone has this experience with the Yggdrasil?

Anytime you short the outputs from an active line level device it will cause problems.
Sometimes the problems are minor, sometimes not..

The Jggy would have problems with shorted outputs just like the Guny…

JJ

Mar 11, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #4,327 of 12,405
Just purchased a Yggy.

Should be getting it on Tuesday.

Dont forget to get a really good input to the Yggy. Personally I was happy with USB and improved it with Galvanized USB Intona for last half year, then I went and ordered the Chinese Gustard U12 USB to AES/SPDIF/COAX converter, and using AES - also my measurements with my ADC proves the AES is better than coax and spdif on U12 atleast towards yggdrasil. and also I hear alot more transparent sound and more high details. Bass got more tight and accurate for some reason, also I see on the FFT spectrum that high tones have a different and more tight curve with the U12 unit than USB towards Yggdrasil = more details and accuracy.

When I read people use SPDIF/Optical from AppleTv to Yggdrasil, then my immediate response, your missing out on alot of things just there, as with SPDIF, the host sender of audio = AppleTV in this case holds the audio clock for the music, and its not even close to the Yggdrasil internal clock !  so in that case, use the USB input.

But for those who use USB input, try galvanized USB, reclock units, or go crazy with a USB to AES converter like the cheap Gustard U12.. it will improve SQ by big steps.

Im waiting for a new PSU for my ADC, to get 100% measurements, then my next project will me to install EMI filters to the ADC, and up next will be the 9v gustard u12 to get better power supply and filters, and finally in 2 months time, the Yggdrasil will be customized.. I have a few thoughts how to improve Yggy even more !... 

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #4,328 of 12,405
If you are looking for an inexpensive USB>AES/EBU DDC, I would look at the Singxer SU-1 instead of the Gustard U12. The SU-1 has a better chipset and clock crystals. It is a step up for sure. It's worth the price difference.

Also, UpTone Audio is about to announce the ISO Regen. This device will combine the functions of the Intona (galvanic isolation) and the various USB signal regeneration units into a single device. Based on what I have heard from people that have tested the prototypes, it is supposed to be impressive.

My plan is to have this hardware chain:

MacBook Pro (USB Out) > UpTone Audio ISO Regen (USB Out) > Singxer SU-1 (AES/EBU Out) > Yggdrasil

Both the ISO Regen and SU-1 will be powered by an UpTone Audio LPS-1. The idea is to isolate the computer and the electrical noise it makes from the DAC and the rest of the stereo system while getting the best possible USB signal and power to the SU-1.

That should be the "end game" computer to DAC chain!

Mar 11, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #4,329 of 12,405
Both of those products interest me, but I have concerns.

1. Why would this be beneficial if it is still getting the data/power from USB? (even with some sort of isolation before it)

2. Is it really that much of a change?

3. What truly sets those two products apart? I'm not looking to spend a ton, and neither are terribly expensive, but the Gustard seems rather appealing.

Mar 11, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #4,330 of 12,405
Just received the Stereohile April issue and they have the Yggy rated as a B digital processor .
Yet they have the Benchmark dac2 rated as a A+ digital processor .

What a friggin joke . I have listened to both extensively and the Yggy is a better dac in every respect .

Stereophile is in La La land .

I sold the Benchmark a year ago .

And that's why they are offering Stereopile for $ 7 a year subscription.
I won't take it for even that price!!!!
It is a joke and not credible anymore.

Mar 11, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #4,331 of 12,405
  Both of those products interest me, but I have concerns.

1. Why would this be beneficial if it is still getting the data/power from USB? (even with some sort of isolation before it)

2. Is it really that much of a change?

3. What truly sets those two products apart? I'm not looking to spend a ton, and neither are terribly expensive, but the Gustard seems rather appealing.

1. The idea behind isolation is to keep the power issues (ground loops, AC leakage, noise, etc.) away from the DDC or DAC and the rest of audio system. The idea behind USB regeneration/re-clocking is to provide the DDC or DAC with a properly formed and timed USB signal which is rarely provided by a computer. Most people that implement changes like these use a low noise power supply, usually an linear power supply, to power these devices. The lower the noise the better the sound.

2. That's up to you and your ears.

3. The chipset and the clocks use. The Singxer is the superior product. The cost difference, in the grand scheme of things, is insignificant.

Mar 11, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #4,333 of 12,405

1. The idea behind isolation is to keep the power issues (ground loops, AC leakage, noise, etc.) away from the DDC or DAC and the rest of audio system. The idea behind USB regeneration/re-clocking is to provide the DDC or DAC with a properly formed and timed USB signal which is rarely provided by a computer. Most people that implement changes like these use a low noise power supply, usually an linear power supply, to power these devices. The lower the noise the better the sound.

2. That's up to you and your ears.

3. The chipset and the clocks use. The Singxer is the superior product. The cost difference, in the grand scheme of things, is insignificant.

well, the Singxer is more than 2X the price of the Gustard and, for some, that is a lot of money. However, in the grand scheme of things, if it is insignificant, perhaps you'd be willing to spot him the difference? 

Mar 11, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #4,334 of 12,405
  well, the Singxer is more than 2X the price of the Gustard and, for some, that is a lot of money. However, in the grand scheme of things, if it is insignificant, perhaps you'd be willing to spot him the difference? 

When we are talking about a $2,300 DAC, I consider $200 insignificant for the quality difference between the two DDC units. Heck, I would rather go coax and use a Singxer F-1 (same price as the Gustard) than use the Gustard U12. That is my opinion. It doesn't mean I should have to pay the difference and it is ridiculous for you to suggest it.

Mar 11, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #4,335 of 12,405
  Not 100s of hours after initial burn-in, "just" 24-48h. I turn mine off only when we are away for extended periods, when all my home electronic gear is switched off for safety reasons.

Yeah once the Jggy does get fully settled in that 24-48hr re-settling time frame seems to be the case.

But others have noticed that the initial burn in can take more than just ≈ 7-10 days.
And granted that last 1-3% is subtle and is also dependent upon the rest of the system etc. in order to be noticed.

Still for those who are reaching for all that can be delivered by this dac, and have sufficiently resolving systems, it may take more than that initial 7-10 day window.

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back