Schiit Vali 3 : Impressions Thread
Apr 3, 2024 at 8:46 AM Post #196 of 707
Please post your thoughts after you've listened to it for a bit.
I will. Also, I intend to compare Vali 3 to SparkoS Lab Gemini. Both are single-tube hybrid h/p/a. I will not be able to use the same tube/type in both for the comparison: (5670/2C51/396A vs 12AT7/ECC81, 6922/7308).

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #197 of 707
Just a point of clarification about my previous very positive Vali 3 impressions. It should be noted that I'm feeding via a Yggy GS2. I'm certain that this makes a huge sonic difference compared to other DACS.

Leo
Leo,

I will try with several dacs.
If the amp is a "straight wire with gain"....then the source will indeed have a profound affect on the outcome.
IMO, YMMV.

This is not a tube only amp, its output bipolars are big contributors to the sound as well...

Alex

Apr 3, 2024 at 8:52 AM Post #198 of 707
Just a point of clarification about my previous very positive Vali 3 impressions. It should be noted that I'm feeding via a Yggy GS2. I'm certain that this makes a huge sonic difference compared to other DACS.

Leo
I am feeding mine with a Modi+ and an original Bifrost MB.

Apr 3, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #199 of 707
I have to say that dismissing this amp after only a short listen with stock tube is about the same as buying a muscle car in the 60s and just driving it around the block on the stock polyglass tires and then saying it has no performance. One needs to let the amp and tube settle in. Replace the stock tube with something better. We all k kw or should know that the stock tube is only there to prove that the amp works. If someone wants the tube sound but doesn't want to roll tubes, get a solidstate amp with tube characteristics such as the Piety.
In my opinion it would be commercially counterproductive for Schiit to make an amplifier that sounds disappointing due to the stock tube. I want to believe that basically the electronics and the tube supplied provide a tonal balance well studied by the Schiit technicians. Obviously it is a good option you have the possibility of using custom valves.

Apr 3, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #200 of 707
So I used my DAPs lineout which bypasses the internal amp and I think I echo NICK's feelings. The treble got a lot harsher and the bass wasn't dynamic at all. The staging was very narrow and everything felt compressed like I was listening through a straw. It was really one note and lacking any sort of tube texture.

This is the last I'll say on the matter. There are better amps out there and there are more practical amps out there for the money. As consumers, we are not obligated to like every product we try and no brand is faultless. I have owned Modi, Magni, Modius, Magnius, Piety, Saga S and Pietus Maximus. Schiit makes a good product and I like what they do, but this product is not something I would ever recommend to someone looking to get into tubes. I am sorry if this offends you, but we all need to remember that giving constructive criticism and feedback helps make products better. If we just tell them it's perfect, what is schiit going to do next?

I hope the Vali 4 is a better product. For potential buyers out there, do your reasearch. I think this is a bad product, but who am I? I'm just a dude. Do your research and make your own decision. Maybe Vali 3 is just what you need. Cheers all.

"If your definition of good is crap, it can be good, but then you've never heard what good sounds like."

Has to be a bad sample or the tube is not broke in or something. Try again. Send it back.

Apr 3, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #201 of 707
Has to be a bad sample or the tube is not broke in or something. Try again. Send it back.
I know Schiit checks each unit before it is sent out, but do they check each tube with the listening test?

Apr 3, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #203 of 707
So to be clear because I am not very smart.... I can use an adapter (From garage1217) that will allow me to use 12au7 or 12ax7 tubes in Vali 3...
The adapter discription is: this adapter works two ways. 6922 / 6DJ8 tube to be used in a 6N3P / 5670 / 2C51 / 396A socket.

The socket in the Vali 3 is 6N3P/5670 Tubes.... 12Ax7 tubes use the 6922 socket (pinout maybe?).

Also, with a different adapter I could use my 6SN7 tubes as well? (Again Garage1217 has one that says 6SN7 to 5670 396A)

Sorry can someone who knows better than I please confirm.

Apr 3, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #205 of 707
So to be clear because I am not very smart.... I can use an adapter (From garage1217) that will allow me to use 12au7 or 12ax7 tubes in Vali 3...
The adapter discription is: this adapter works two ways. 6922 / 6DJ8 tube to be used in a 6N3P / 5670 / 2C51 / 396A socket.

The socket in the Vali 3 is 6N3P/5670 Tubes.... 12Ax7 tubes use the 6922 socket (pinout maybe?).

Also, with a different adapter I could use my 6SN7 tubes as well? (Again Garage1217 has one that says 6SN7 to 5670 396A)

Sorry can someone who knows better than I please confirm.
No, that G1217 adapter won't work for 12a*7 tubes - they have a different pinout from 6dj8

Apr 3, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #207 of 707
I thought I would take a moment to share my experience with the Vali 3.

On a whim, about 10 days ago, I drove 30 minutes north to the Shiitr and bought a Vali 3. I’ve been using Magini Piety, which I love, for over a year. So I don’t NEED a new amp, but, you know how it is.

Chain is Bifrost 2 > Vali 3 > HD58X

Got it home, fired it up, and immediately ordered some tubes. With the stock tube, the highs were a bit harsh, the bass smeared, and the stage seemed compressed. I let it cook for a couple of days, and the sound improved a bit, but not enough.

The first tube to arrive was GE JAN 5670. Plugged it in and let it cook for a day. An improvement over stock. Smoother treble, cleaner bass, and improved soundstage. At this point I’m still debating whether to return it.

Yesterday I received a GE 5 STAR 5670. This is the one, so far. Deep and wide soundstage, beautiful separation of instruments, and awesome clarity and detail. I listened for 4 hours last night with zero fatigue. I can’t wait to listen to a few albums tonight. This amp is definitely staying. Looking for an RCA Command to try next.

If you are considering this amp, plan on getting something different than the stock tube. IMO, the stock tube should be thought of as a placeholder only. The tubes I’ve purchased so far were $15 each, and worth every penny over the stock tube.

As always, YMMV.

Apr 3, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #208 of 707

On a whim, about 10 days ago, I drove 30 minutes north to the Shiitr and bought a Vali 3. I’ve been using Magini Piety, which I love, for over a year. So I don’t NEED a new amp, but, you know how it is.

Got it home, fired it up, and immediately ordered some tubes. With the stock tube, the highs were a bit harsh, the bass smeared, and the stage seemed compressed. I let it cook for a couple of days, and the sound improved a bit, but not enough.

The first tube to arrive was GE JAN 5670. Plugged it in and let it cook for a day. An improvement over stock. Smoother treble, cleaner bass, and improved soundstage. At this point I’m still debating whether to return it.

Yesterday I received a GE 5 STAR 5670. This is the one, so far. Deep and wide soundstage, beautiful separation of instruments, and awesome clarity and detail. I listened for 4 hours last night with zero fatigue. I can’t wait to listen to a few albums tonight. This amp is definitely staying. Looking for an RCA Command to try next.

If you are considering this amp, plan on getting something different than the stock tube. IMO, the stock tube should be thought of as a placeholder only. The tubes I’ve purchased so far were $15 each, and worth every penny over the stock tube.

As always, YMMV.
Hello, Could you comment the difference with the Piety ? With the GE 5 STAR 5670 do you think that the Piety as softer treble ? And also The tonality of the Mids, if you can put words on it i'll appreciate. Thank you

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #209 of 707

As always, YMMV.
Nice to know that the Vali 3, unlike pretty much all of the previous Vali amps, responds well to tube changes. That will really encourage a bunch of rolling, which is why people buy tube products in the first place, no?

Apr 3, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #210 of 707
Rocket ship 6SN7GTB ready for launch off pad Vali3 with Garage1217 base into a Xuling thruster with Raytheon main burn! I will let y'all know how it was after the trip.

20240403_163450.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back