Schiit Syn Surround Processor Reviews/Impressions
Apr 27, 2024 at 6:06 PM Post #121 of 124
It seems that the only variable left might be your optical cable. Have you tried another one? It's odd that the one you have works with Bifrost and not with the Syn optical input, but I suppose that's possible. I think that would be the next logical troubleshooting step.
Okay, I've been fiddling with this today and may have some up with something. I'm swapping thru different optical cables to see if that makes a difference. Yeah, I did this before. No real differences.

My television is on and muted but the optical is still active. However, this time I'm sitting right beside my right channel speaker, ear level, and I'm clicking thru the SYN inputs. USB > Optical > Analog, over and over. As the lights/selection land on Optical, I'm getting a fraction of a second of sound thru that right channel speaker. Remember I said that the USB & analog inputs work fine. Could the issue be the switch or possibly a bad solder joint at one of the switch's terminals?

Schiit repair said, "Syn has output on all sample rates 44.1 - 192K." I don't have any idea where they were measuring 'output.' I've sent them an email explaining this so we'll see what happens next week.

Thanks for the reply Tbone.

Apr 27, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #122 of 124
Again, Thanks! I think you are heading toward a crux issue: Stereo Imaging. I have always felt the stereo imaging is actually a false effect. I do enjoy the effect, but I think the more diffuse soundfield produced by the Syn with processing on is closer to what you would hear live -- electronic or acoustic instruments, big or small venue, indoors or out.
I also think that recordings that sound really good in stereo also sound really good with Syn processing. Leads me to believe that the recording process is valid, and that the 'excess location specificty' that I hear in a good stereo system is an natural artifact of two channel reproduction. It's seems almost the same effect I have always seen in stereo visual presentation (i.e. the old Viewmaster discs).

Fun Stuff, Skip
You are bravely treading on hallowed ground. I neither agree nor disagree. I’m just pointing out that the mob with their pitchforks might come for you. I’m not a psychologist. I have set up both the Hafler four channel simulation and the Paul Klipsch phantom middle channel. I liked both but did not stay with them. My understanding of Syn is that it does the Hafler and the Klipsch stuff, with variable intensity.

Apr 27, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #123 of 124
You are bravely treading on hallowed ground. I neither agree nor disagree. I’m just pointing out that the mob with their pitchforks might come for you. I’m not a psychologist. I have set up both the Hafler four channel simulation and the Paul Klipsch phantom middle channel. I liked both but did not stay with them. My understanding of Syn is that it does the Hafler and the Klipsch stuff, with variable intensity.
I'm surprised at the lack of response myself. I've made similar coments on Audiophile Style with little response there, some mildly affirmative. While stereo 'imaging' is the cream on top in many audio commentaries, I think most people realize that they haven't really heard it in live performance.

WRT the Syn proceesed output versus the early speaker level schemes: I think that using staged active line-level buffers lets the designer at least have a chance to create a purer center channel (less signal from either side only) and, by extension, side channels with very little common signal. I haven't designed this in my mind, nor have I read or heard anything from Jason along these lines. I just suspect it is more effective with active buffering and opens more options to the designer.

A final note, I also suspect that a well assembled immersive music oriented system, say 5 or 7 base level channels, 2 to 4 height channels and 2-3 subs (not LFE) might diminish the stereo imaging in one sense but still sound much better than stereo or a Syn system. Just a guess.

This post is repetitive, but keeps the discussion easy to read.

Apr 28, 2024 at 8:28 AM Post #124 of 124
Okay, I've been fiddling with this today and may have some up with something. I'm swapping thru different optical cables to see if that makes a difference. Yeah, I did this before. No real differences.

My television is on and muted but the optical is still active. However, this time I'm sitting right beside my right channel speaker, ear level, and I'm clicking thru the SYN inputs. USB > Optical > Analog, over and over. As the lights/selection land on Optical, I'm getting a fraction of a second of sound thru that right channel speaker. Remember I said that the USB & analog inputs work fine. Could the issue be the switch or possibly a bad solder joint at one of the switch's terminals?

Schiit repair said, "Syn has output on all sample rates 44.1 - 192K." I don't have any idea where they were measuring 'output.' I've sent them an email explaining this so we'll see what happens next week.

Thanks for the reply Tbone.
This is quite a quandary. You've tried multiple sources and multiple toslink cables with the same result. I suppose a bad switch or contact is a possibility, but that should show up in their testing. I'd be interested in your further communication with Schiit and how this is resolved.

I had a similar issue with a Gungnir multibit DAC when it was upgraded to Unison. It wouldn't even boot up and show LED indicators at my house, but passed testing at Schiit. I had to send it in two more times and finally the issue was fixed and it has worked perfectly ever since. Don't give up on it; I'm sure they'll sort out the issue for you eventually. I understand the frustration from the downtime though, especially when it works perfectly fine with an external DAC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back