Schiit Stack Help
Jun 11, 2016 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

actuarian

New Head-Fier
So I just bought the Schiit Stack uber and got it all hooked up. Headphones work and sound great.

I plan to get some new speakers in the future to hook up to the pre outs. My current speakers are an old z2300. Noob question is: I can't hook the z2300 speakers right to the pre outs (bypassing the normal sub hookups), right? I tried, no sound. Is this because they're passive speakers and the pre outs are unamped? If I wanted to hook them up I'd need to get a 2RCA to mini adapter and connect the z2300 through its mini plug as normal, right? Thanks.

Jun 11, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #2 of 3
Right. The preout on the Magni 2 Uber is for hooking up amplification, either a speaker amp or powered speakers. Or a different headphone amp if you want :)

Jun 12, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

I plan to get some new speakers in the future to hook up to the pre outs. My current speakers are an old z2300. Noob question is: I can't hook the z2300 speakers right to the pre outs (bypassing the normal sub hookups), right? I tried, no sound. Is this because they're passive speakers and the pre outs are unamped? If I wanted to hook them up I'd need to get a 2RCA to mini adapter and connect the z2300 through its mini plug as normal, right?

A preamplifier output is just that, a signal before, or pre, the amplifier, hence the prefix "pre-" appended to the word amplifier. That has to go into an amplifier output stage, like a dedicated power amp...

Notice the lack of a volume knob and everything else, because it's just a pure amplifier, no preamplifier built in

...or powered speakers.

Technically not full preamp stages but they do have variable gain

On the other hand, the Logitech Z2300 are powered speakers much like the KRK above, but the amplifier module for it is mounted on the subwoofer unit. That way, unlike the KRK which needs one power cable from each speaker to the wall, your Logitech only needs one to the sub, as well as simplifying the analogue signal cable. Logitech basically just uses connectors that might not be what they are usually used for rather than, say, use bare wire or expensive binging posts and banana plugs to wire up their products

Users who are viewing this thread

Back