Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Sep 26, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #1,306 of 2,038
I've not heard a headphone that didn't sound good on Ragnarok. I've live with Yggy and Rggy for almost 5 months now. I own HD800, LCD-2f, ZMF Eikon and Atticus and a modified HD650. I've also previously owned a T1. The Schiit combo have driven all those headphones to perfection. I've not heard HD800 sounded so good. It is no surprise because Jason uses the HD800 in tuning the Ragnarok - so I heard in the grapevine.

Yes the Rag drives the HD800's superbly. Unfortunately for the Rag so does my M6 :)

Sep 26, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #1,307 of 2,038
Yes the Rag drives the HD800's superbly. Unfortunately for the Rag so does my M6 :)

There's no unfortunately. It's a matter of individual preference.

As a matter of interest, I also feel my newly acquired Primalunar Dialogue Premium HP stereo integrated tube amp with a switchable headphone amp makes HD800 sound better.

Sep 26, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #1,308 of 2,038
i would of never have thought that SS amp would be a match to the 800's due to the alleged brightness people say about them always tube was the go!.
I must be the only person that hasn't tried the 800's no matter what headphone i have had i still think about them and wonder what they are like! i have had the 700's , he-6 and now elear but never could afford the Rag at the price till now and now ! ponder what might have been with the He-6 combo with Rag lol

Sep 26, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #1,309 of 2,038
i would of never have thought that SS amp would be a match to the 800's due to the alleged brightness people say about them always tube was the go!.
I must be the only person that hasn't tried the 800's no matter what headphone i have had i still think about them and wonder what they are like! i have had the 700's , he-6 and now elear but never could afford the Rag at the price till now and now ! ponder what might have been with the He-6 combo with Rag lol

Always take with a big grain of salt what others say. Try HD800 with Yggy and Rggy. It's not a high pitch shela as they make it out to be.

I much prefer ZMF Eikon and Atticus and even LCD-2f on Yggy and Rggy now than HD800 though. Of course the Primaluna is a different diva. It makes all those headphones sound amazing.

Oct 24, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #1,310 of 2,038
Hi everyone,

I've been more than happy with the Rag. Currently pairing it with Utopia's. Next week I have a pair of the Abyss set to arrive. A little concerned that the Rag might not have enough power for the Abyss? I am reading conflicting things. A few published reviews I could find say Yggy+Rag pair well with the Abyss. But a few posters in the Abyss thread have claimed that it was inadequate. Really want to make sure I audition the Abyss at their potential, and have none of my components hold it back.

Anyone run a Rag+Abyss setup?

I am considering the Abyss for my Yggy/Rag set up and was wondering how your experience was... I too have the Utopia paired currently and am very happy with. I realize your post was a while ago. Do you have the new Abyss or the previous model? Thank you.

Nov 20, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #1,311 of 2,038
Has anyone every replaced the volume knob on their Ragnarok? The screw that holds mine on has stripped from me having to re tighten it frequently. I've contacted Schiit about it and am wait on a response, but just in case I have to replace it myself I'm looking for a model and part number , or proper dimensions to get a replacement elsewhere.

Nov 20, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #1,312 of 2,038
My Rag is almost new. There is no screw on the volume knob and the knob is held securely. It's turning smoothly with the usual clicks. Maybe they dispensed with the screw?

20171121_062750.jpg

Nov 20, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #1,313 of 2,038
My Rag is almost new. There is no screw on the volume knob and the knob is held securely. It's turning smoothly with the usual clicks. Maybe they dispensed with the screw?

Interesting, I wonder how yours in being held on. Because without the screw mine just spins freely and doesn't turn the actual potentiometer. Maybe its in there ,but you just can't see it, it requires a small allen wrench to adjust it.
I've looking at a couple on ebay and amazon, but I don't know if they are the correct size. Still waiting on a response from Schiit.
81CZ8LuBmiL._SL300_.jpg

• For potentiometer shaft max. Length: 18mm/0. 71"; for potentiometer base max. Diameter: 20mm/0. 8"
  • Knob diameter: 34mm/1. 3"; total Size: 44 x 25mm/1. 7" x 1"(max. Ditch)

Nov 20, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #1,314 of 2,038
Interesting, I wonder how yours in being held on. Because without the screw mine just spins freely and doesn't turn the actual potentiometer. Maybe its in there ,but you just can't see it, it requires a small allen wrench to adjust it.

Had another look. You may be right. If there's a screw it's very deep inside and doesn't look like a screw to me. As you said, it would need a allen key to adjust it. I wouldn't change the knob with an after market one. The original knob looks nice. Let's hope Schiit gets back to you soon.

I still love this amp very much. Much of my listening now is with Yggdrasil > Ragnarok > Eikon.

Nov 20, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #1,315 of 2,038
It is a very small allen (hex) set screw and it may be set using thread locker. It is rather stubborn.

JJ

Nov 20, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #1,316 of 2,038
I got a reply from Schiit, a replacement volume knob can be ordered for $15 plus shipping. I haven't heard anyone else experiencing the same issue, so I'm hoping this is a isolated indecent where my screw didn't have proper threading and so kept coming loose.

Nov 20, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #1,317 of 2,038
As Johnjen said, you could use thread locker on the screw. It will set in 10 secs.

Google Loctite. Amazon sells it. It's like super glue for metal screws. It seals well but you can still unscrew it.

Nov 20, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #1,318 of 2,038
As Johnjen said, you could use thread locker on the screw. It will set in 10 secs.

Google Loctite. Amazon sells it. It's like super glue for metal screws. It seals well but you can still unscrew it.

You want the blue stuff. It's removable. Don't get the red high strength stuff. It's semi-permanent.

Nov 20, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #1,320 of 2,038

unfortunately the screw on mine is stuck in the knob. I can't unscrew it out to apply any glue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back