Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Apr 3, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #1,232 of 2,035
I'm considering the move to loudspeakers, after years of being a headphone guy. I have a GSX-Mk2 headphone amp and I'm loving it madly! Great headphone amp. For speakers, I could either use the pre-amp section of the GSX-Mk2 and hook it up to a power amp. Or I'd buy a Ragnarok, feed my balanced DAC into it and buy good speakers (I'm thinking of the M-Lores from Tekton). The alternative is to wait till the Schiit Vidar is out and feeding the pre-amp section of the GSX-Mk2 into the Vidar mono blocks.

I am leaning towards the Ragnarok. I do not know how well the pre-amp section of the GSX-Mk2 matches to the Vidars. The Rahnarok would be a simple solution, DAC in, hook up speakers, and that's it. The GSX-Mk2 would remain my headphone listening station unless the Ragnarok would be the better headphone amp 
blink.gif

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Apr 3, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #1,233 of 2,035
  I'm considering the move to loudspeakers, after years of being a headphone guy. I have a GSX-Mk2 headphone amp and I'm loving it madly! Great headphone amp. For speakers, I could either use the pre-amp section of the GSX-Mk2 and hook it up to a power amp. Or I'd buy a Ragnarok, feed my balanced DAC into it and buy good speakers (I'm thinking of the M-Lores from Tekton). The alternative is to wait till the Schiit Vidar is out and feeding the pre-amp section of the GSX-Mk2 into the Vidar mono blocks.

I am leaning towards the Ragnarok. I do not know how well the pre-amp section of the GSX-Mk2 matches to the Vidars. The Rahnarok would be a simple solution, DAC in, hook up speakers, and that's it. The GSX-Mk2 would remain my headphone listening station unless the Ragnarok would be the better headphone amp 
blink.gif

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

I spoke to Jason at The Schiitr this weekend about the Rag-Tekton combo. He thought it would be a good pairing.

I listened to the Vidar into the KEF LS50s, and came home and ordered a pair of those.

However, in the future I will be seriously considering the Rag-Tekton combo for a second system.

Apr 3, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #1,234 of 2,035

I spoke to Jason at The Schiitr this weekend about the Rag-Tekton combo. He thought it would be a good pairing.

I listened to the Vidar into the KEF LS50s, and came home and ordered a pair of those.

However, in the future I will be seriously considering the Rag-Tekton combo for a second system.

Did he mention a release date for the Vidar?

Apr 3, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #1,235 of 2,035
Apr 3, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #1,237 of 2,035

Good to know you're considering Rag-Tekton! I like the idea of a second system. In addition, as the Tektons are said to be quite sensitive speakers (90 something dB), the Ragnarok should have no problem whatsoever to drive them!

Apr 3, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #1,238 of 2,035
Good to know you're considering Rag-Tekton! I like the idea of a second system. In addition, as the Tektons are said to be quite sensitive speakers (90 something dB), the Ragnarok should have no problem whatsoever to drive them!

I'll be getting something from PrimaLuna soon, and will be using the LS50s and eventually the Tektons. That will be my tube / turntable system.

For my SS system the Rag and Gungnir Multibit might be just the ticket. 

At least, that is the plan.
wink_face.gif

Apr 3, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #1,239 of 2,035
I tried to replace my headphone amp and power amp with the Ragnarok. As a pure headphone amplifier I really liked the Ragnarok, but I thought the GSX-mk2 was slightly more transparent. Driving my speakers the Ragnarok sounded kind of crappy... but I wasn't shocked because the ML Aerius aren't the easiest speaker to drive.  They have a sensitivity of 89 dB 2.83 volts/1 meter with an impedance of 4 ohms; minimum: greater than 2 ohms at 20,000 Hz. The  M-Lores from Tekton might be great... I have no experience.   I can't say how the GSX-mk2 would "pair" with Vidar but I doubt that would be a problem. My experience is there is little "pairing" variation between pre-amp and amps... pretty much mix and match provided both are high quality. The GSX-mk2 was as fine pre-amp for my Chord SPM 1200 amplifier as my old Classe 4 pre-amp.

Apr 8, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #1,240 of 2,035
I have a question:
Why does the Ragnarok not seem as popular or highly regarded as it once was?
Was it a FOTM?
The reason I am asking is because when you go to the Schiit website, some of the reviews of the Ragnarok have been removed when you go to click on them, especially the one from a site, and an individual there that I will not name here.
Tyll Hertsens or John Atkinson also didn't seem overly impressed with it.
I have also noticed there isn't as much discussion of it anymore, here or on other websites.
Plus, I have seen alot for sale over the last few months here and elsewhere.
What gives?
Is there something I should know before buying another one?
Thanks.

Apr 8, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #1,241 of 2,035
I have a question:
Was it a FOTM?
The reason I am asking is because when you go to the Schiit website, some of the reviews of the Ragnarok have been removed when you go to click on them, especially the one from a site, and an individual there that I will not name here.
I have also noticed there isn't as much discussion of it anymore, here or on other websites.
What gives?
Thanks.

​mine serves me well. I do know that some people are measurement finicky and if the measurements aren't acceptable, how is it possible that it could produce sound that is worth hearing? My Yggy  / Rag combo paired up with a set of Wharfedale Denton 80th anniversary bookshelf speakers provide a very satisfying near field listening experience. And all but a few of my dozen headphones sound better than any other single chain I hook them to. So, to each his own... especially when it comes to something personal and intimate like how your brain perceives the sound waves crashing into your eardrums.

Apr 8, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #1,242 of 2,035
I have a question:
Was it a FOTM?
What gives?
Thanks.

If you're talking about "purrin" aka marv his review is still there. You can say his name, it's not like he's Lord Voldemort, jesus

Apr 8, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #1,243 of 2,035
If you're talking about "purrin" aka marv his review is still there. You can say his name, it's not like he's Lord Voldemort, jesus

Well, there is a thin line there, so I didnt know.
I was sent a warning pm from moderators on here for bringing up his websites in the past.
Better safe than sorry.

Apr 8, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #1,244 of 2,035
I have a question:
Was it a FOTM?
What gives?
Thanks.

The guy who did the original review for Stereophile said if he had a Rag and a Yiggy with a pair of KEF LS50s. He would pretty much be happy for life.

Schiit can't seem to keep them in stock.
wink_face.gif

Apr 9, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #1,245 of 2,035
   Driving my speakers the Ragnarok sounded kind of crappy... but I wasn't shocked because the ML Aerius aren't the easiest speaker to drive.  They have a sensitivity of 89 dB 2.83 volts/1 meter with an impedance of 4 ohms; minimum: greater than 2 ohms at 20,000 Hz. 

Ragnarok sounds great in my system - 4 ohms, 88db sensitivity (Polk LSi15).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back