Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Nov 29, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #242 of 2,035
Goldendarko...If memory serves, you tried the Vibrapods/cones under your "Rag"...Any feedback on how those vibrapods/cones are faring under there?...I am considering elevating my "Rag" just a bit higher to provide a little more ventilation space below the amp...otherwise, if they are NOT doing well under there, have you tried any other solutions?

Peace/Namaste...

P.S.  If they ARE doing well, then I want to place an order ASAP...I am sure Audio Advisor would love to make a sale...

Synergist, I would very, very much recommend the vibrapods or something like them. It really helped with heat dissipation, the amp still runs hot but no longer gets scalding hot like it was for me before. On the plus side I think it even sounds better now too, seems to have a quieter background now too, though maybe that is an attribute of the amp breaking in. Either way if you have anything stacked on it I would definately try to elevate it.

Nov 29, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #243 of 2,035
I have used a handheld IR sensor to 'read' the temps from The Rok, and on top (except the vent holes) and on the front, I'm seeing temps ranging from ≈ 99°F to 110°F and underneath its ≈ 110° to 125°F.

And I am using 'riser' all rubber feet which raise The Rok up ≈1" off the PWD it's sitting on.

And I would suggest that at least 1" (minimum) of space be used below and above The Rok, especially if anything is placed on or above the amp.

And I wouldn't suggest that anything be placed on top that blocks the vent holes, where I measured 110° to a peak temp of 135°F, (which may be a reading of the circuit board underneath).

JJ

Nov 29, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #244 of 2,035
Does going balanced in or unbalanced in make a difference?
I know going balanced out does..

Nov 30, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #245 of 2,035
I feel the heat issue, although worthy of concern, needs to be approached with the correct perspective. This amp is meant to power speakers in addition to headphones. Reading Schiit's own overview of the amp: "Ragnarok is the first truly universal amplifier, fully capable of powering everything from IEMs to loudspeakers. With up to 100 watts per channel into 4 ohms, 3 selectable gains, a sophisticated relay-switched stepped attenuator volume control, complete microprocessor management of all operational points, including bias and DC offset, and Schiit’s Crossfet™ circlotron-style output topology......” Typically, in the speaker world, unlike the desktop world, one is rarely sat next to the amplifier, and seldom gets to touch the amp while it is operational. The temperatures being quoted for the Rag are in line with most speaker amps I've encountered, and should not mistakenly be used to imply that the Rag's lifespan will be shortened by this. It'll be a shame if this was to deter potential customers.

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #247 of 2,035
The Ragnarok takes total complete control of the LCD-X and I have never heard these headphones sound this good. The Gungnir works deliciously with the Rok. Just absolutely incredible. I love this amp.

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #248 of 2,035
The Ragnarok takes total complete control of the LCD-X and I have never heard these headphones sound this good. The Gungnir works deliciously with the Rok. Just absolutely incredible. I love this amp.

Have you tried it with a pair of speakers yet? I actually like it more as a speaker amp with my KEF LS50's & REL Sub than with either my LCD-3F's, HE-560's or Alpha Dogs. It has surprised me how wonderful it sounds as a speaker amp, since I was mostly just trying it with the intended purpose of using it strictly for headphones.

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #249 of 2,035

What gain level are you using with the LCD-X? I'm generally on mid-level gain, but have tried both low and high--and they all work with the LCD-X.  I haven't noted much, if any, difference between the gain levels--even high gain has a dead black background.

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #250 of 2,035
Have you tried it with a pair of speakers yet? I actually like it more as a speaker amp with my KEF LS50's & REL Sub than with either my LCD-3F's, HE-560's or Alpha Dogs. It has surprised me how wonderful it sounds as a speaker amp, since I was mostly just trying it with the intended purpose of using it strictly for headphones.

I'm potentially in the same spot now.  Got the Rag as a HF amp, got Sierra 2s on a wim, didn't like them all that much at first, but after two weeks I'm now liking them more than the LCD-X (and HD650).  I'm considering adding a subwoofer and/or HD800.  But I'm thinking of stalling on these, the Rag & Sierra 2 combination is getting very good.  I'm wondering if this is real speaker break-in, or 'just' me learning what to listen for (i.e. learn to ignore the lack of bass extension and listing to what is there).   

Dec 2, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #251 of 2,035
In my opinion breakin is real.  I have spent years tracking and documenting my system as I introduce changes (tweaks) into the system, to find out what happens.

Why it is so, I don't have a convincing reason, other than I hear the sonic information morph and change as more hours accrue.  And it usually means (if the current experiment is 'successful') that these changes improve the experience.  But this progression does not mean it only gets better all the time.  No, no.

And while I could come up with convincing (at least to me, but I'm easy… :D) reasons as to WHY all of this happens, I doubt it would stand the test of time.  Simply put, we don't have enough of a grasp of what is happening in total, for me to be able to piece a cogent explanation together, that truly reflects what is going on.

I have been tracking these changes in a log for years now (34 pages so far) and while the patterns shift about a bit, it is not uncommon to take many hundreds of hours before the sound 'matures' and fully blossoms, and the most impressive of the sonic characteristics present themselves, and stick around.

These characteristics are common enough that they repeat themselves as changes to the entire system are made and more new characteristics are added to the list as they emerge.

Right now with 260+hrs on The Rok, the sound is really starting to focus up rather well.  
I'm hearing similar sonic aspects to what my Mojo has.  
And they only manifested, when I was running the Mojo, after other tweaks were performed and those new (at the time) aspects became apparent.  

And this pattern begins again during the next experiment, as most of the 'advanced' desirable sonic improvements go away and then come back as 'enough' hours are once again accrued.
Sometimes they come back only to go away again, and then to return etc., until it all blossoms.
This is a repeating pattern I've seen over the years I have been tracking this.

So right now The Rok is heading into the rarefied heights of sonic tweakdom.
This pleases me a great deal, because I haven't even started experimenting with further tweaks, and The Rok is already headed into the very domain I seek.  :thumb

But The Rok needs more hours yet to fully 'stabilize', before I experiment with it, like I did with my Mojo.

I call this ability to be 'improved' as scalability, and when the whole system scales together well, it usually results in sonic nuances and a degree of involvement in the music which is most gratifying.

JJ

Dec 2, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #253 of 2,035
do i need to make it Balanced from the X-Sabre to the Ragnarok? or just use RCA cables and for the headphone i go with XLR ? 

i did read that you guys mentioned output only, so needed to clear my confusion. 

Thanks in advance.

btw when will they release their new DAC? so we be able to use it with the Ragnarok, will be a better option than my X-Sabre :p

Dec 2, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #254 of 2,035
do i need to make it Balanced from the X-Sabre to the Ragnarok? or just use RCA cables and for the headphone i go with XLR ? 

i did read that you guys mentioned output only, so needed to clear my confusion. 

Thanks in advance.

btw when will they release their new DAC? so we be able to use it with the Ragnarok, will be a better option than my X-Sabre :p

When it is ready. Sometime next year.

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #255 of 2,035
Using mid-level gain. Background perfectly black. No speakers to use with the amp... Someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back