Schiit Owners Unite
Jun 2, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #2,251 of 13,350
Quote:
Do any of you guys get weird smudge marks on your Schiit products? I bought a Valhalla used and it came with all these smudges that I have yet been able to remove (although to be honest I have tried anything other than a rag with a little water for fear of causing even more damage), and now the Bifrost which sits under the Valhalla in a stack seems to be developing some smudge marks. What is going on!? 

I've always been curious how the aluminum cases are treated (on the outside) -- clear anodization? ... perhaps ...

My Valhalla doesn't have smudge problems - for what it's worth, I've cleaned the case with alcohol on a rag, rather vigorously (not gently) ... and have no issues.

I still wonder what the finish is ...   or isn't !

Jun 2, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #2,252 of 13,350
Quote:
Once again, it depends on the design.  Some have equalizers.  Some amps allow op amp rolling.  Others have crossfeed control or the ability to alter the amount of feedback.  Moreover, others have variable damping control.

I say this will all sincerity and politeness--blanket statements always have exceptions.  Perpetuating them only further builds the stereotypes.

I defer to a more experienced audiophile 
biggrin.gif

I've only really dabbled with low end stuff, in my experience, everything solid state i've owned has been detailed and consistant, i've rolled a few different op-amps in my Maverick D1 and noticed not really a lot of difference.

My Lyr definitely sounds different depending on which tubes i'm using, for me i have a lot more control over the sound signature just swapping tubes in the Lyr than i do with swapping op-amps in my D1.
No matter which tubes i've used, it's never sounded as detailed as plugging headphones straight into the D1.

Maybe one day i'll have the funds to have one of these top dollar EQ/crossfeed/damping solid state amps and broaden my views a little 
beerchug.gif

Jun 2, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #2,253 of 13,350

biggrin.gif

No matter which tubes i've used, it's never sounded as detailed as plugging headphones straight into the D1.

beerchug.gif

Excuse my butting in, but I can't imagine the Lyr being way less transparent than the Maverick's headphone output. What outputs are you using to send signal to Lyr?

Jun 2, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #2,254 of 13,350
Everyone hears things differently, so it is possible that the Maverick is a more enjoyable listening experience for you.  However, when I owned the Maverick, I quickly concluded that it was a piece of crap.  The headphone stage was rubbish, although the DAC out wasn't as terrible.

Quote:

I defer to a more experienced audiophile 
biggrin.gif

I've only really dabbled with low end stuff, in my experience, everything solid state i've owned has been detailed and consistant, i've rolled a few different op-amps in my Maverick D1 and noticed not really a lot of difference.

My Lyr definitely sounds different depending on which tubes i'm using, for me i have a lot more control over the sound signature just swapping tubes in the Lyr than i do with swapping op-amps in my D1.

Maybe one day i'll have the funds to have one of these top dollar EQ/crossfeed/damping solid state amps and broaden my views a little 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Excuse my butting in, but I can't imagine the Lyr being way less transparent than the Maverick's headphone output. What outputs are you using to send signal to Lyr?

Jun 2, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #2,255 of 13,350
Quote:
Do any of you guys get weird smudge marks on your Schiit products? I bought a Valhalla used and it came with all these smudges that I have yet been able to remove (although to be honest I have tried anything other than a rag with a little water for fear of causing even more damage), and now the Bifrost which sits under the Valhalla in a stack seems to be developing some smudge marks. What is going on!? 

It's brushed aluminum, you can't really hurt it unless you dent or scratch it. I would just go to town with alcohol and a clean rag.

Jun 3, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #2,256 of 13,350
Quote:

It's brushed aluminum, you can't really hurt it unless you dent or scratch it. I would just go to town with alcohol and a clean rag.

According to Schiit HQ, it's an anodized finish. I know anodizing can be removed, I'm just not sure what household substances will or won't. My Schiit, especially the amps, have developed gradiations in the finish color which I chalk up to heat, like the chrome exhaust pipes on vintage motorcycles.

Oh, and use a lint free cloth, otherwise you'll get small fibers in the finish especially if you go across the grain. Guess how I know this...

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #2,257 of 13,350
Looks like its time i joined the club, finally got my first schiit stack! got a bifrost and lyr for my HD650. I'm coming from an ASUS Xonar STX, and I gotta say, the separation and the crispness and the finesse this stack has compared to the stx is phenomenal. Granted, I only just got it two days ago, so I'll need more time to listen to it.

By the way, does anyone know how to properly set up the bifrost with winamp? I do have the usb version and i'm trying out WASAPI out to optical or USB, but winamp output stream sample rate seems to stay at 44100Hz, even though the incoming stream is sometimes more (48000Hz, 96000Hz).

Thanks!

Jun 5, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #2,258 of 13,350
I wouldn't say that you "need more time" with the new stack. I'd say that I always am able to hear and appreciate the changes in gear most when I first get it. Then after that, I've gotten "used" to the new sound and have a tougher time appreciating the differences. 

You have a great stack...enjoy!!

Jun 5, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #2,259 of 13,350
Is anyone feeding their Schiit DAC a signal from other than a computer/CD/DVD player (like an iPod or other DAP)?  I've been looking for a way to connect my iPod to my desktop DAC (I connect it to my Fiio with the L9 cable) and have seen a few iPod docks recommended but it would seem that the Cambridge Audio iD100 is expensive and a POS while the Wadia 170 seems to be non-existant.  I know there is the Pure i-20 still out there.  Has anyone used the digital outs from the i-20 to a Schiit DAC?  How about the Onkyo ND-S1?  

I read like three posts out of a 31 page thread about connecting an i-20 to a Bifrost but nothing about how it worked and/or sounded.  Appreciate any feedback from those that have done this.

Jun 5, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #2,260 of 13,350
Just tried the iPad Mini with the CCK into the Bifrost and it works. The sound is thinner with less body from the iPad. Doesn't make sense to me as it should be the same Apple Lossless file - I don't down sample when I sync my music. When I stream from my iPad Mini to my main A/V system, the sound is fantastic so I'm not sure what's going on.
Doesn't work with the iPhone 5 though - get device not supported.

Jun 5, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #2,261 of 13,350
MickeyVee, thanks for the quick check on that. I wonder what is up with the iPad's sound and the fact that the iPhone 5 won't work at all (maybe the Lightning adaptor)? I would be using this with my 160gb iPod Classic so I'm assuming if any of them work it would probably be that, though I will probably regret making that assumption.

Jun 5, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #2,262 of 13,350
Mikey, just re-read your post. Did you plug those in direct with a usb cable or was it using the dock? Sorry, just want to clarify because I have heard that some Apple products can be plugged in directly but that others can't (which would seem to be the case here).

Jun 5, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #2,264 of 13,350
I don have the dock so CCK(Camera Connection Kit)>USB Cable> Bifrost.  I don't think you can do that with the iPod Classic. You'll need some sort of dock that will accept the digital out from the iPod. There are a few Pure i-20's on eBay.
Quote:
Mikey, just re-read your post. Did you plug those in direct with a usb cable or was it using the dock? Sorry, just want to clarify because I have heard that some Apple products can be plugged in directly but that others can't (which would seem to be the case here).

Jun 5, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #2,265 of 13,350
Is anyone feeding their Schiit DAC a signal from other than a computer/CD/DVD player (like an iPod or other DAP)?  I've been looking for a way to connect my iPod to my desktop DAC (I connect it to my Fiio with the L9 cable) and have seen a few iPod docks recommended but it would seem that the Cambridge Audio iD100 is expensive and a POS while the Wadia 170 seems to be non-existant.  I know there is the Pure i-20 still out there.  Has anyone used the digital outs from the i-20 to a Schiit DAC?  How about the Onkyo ND-S1?  

I read like three posts out of a 31 page thread about connecting an i-20 to a Bifrost but nothing about how it worked and/or sounded.  Appreciate any feedback from those that have done this.

I use an iBasso DX100 DAP as a source (FLAC files) for the Bifrost Uber. I'm using the digital optical (toslink) output from the DX100 to the Bifrost and it works fine. This is the Micca connector I use:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088IBRJE/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back