Schiit Owners Unite
Jan 20, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #8,386 of 13,350
I just received the Magni 2 and Modi 2 to be used in my office to replace the ASUS Xonar DG sound card.  This sound card was heads up better than the motherboard sound board from Dell, but was only marginally passible for music.  Before I brought the Schiit to the office, I wondered how it would compare to my two main systems at home: 
1) Musical Fidelity HPA-1 Amp and Musical Fidelity M1 DAC   Retail $900
2) Anedio D1 DAC and Woo 6SE Tube Amp.  Retail $2000          

I reviewed with various headphones from Audeze, HiFiMan, Sennheiser, and V Moda.  I anticipated that the difference would be immediately noticeable and these units would dominate in audio quality.

System 1.  Highly rated through out Europe but not heavily known in the US.  The difference was there but I had to very closely listen to hear it.  Based on price, was the Musical Fidelity 4 times better?  Imo, no.  If I had the opportunity to compare the 2 units before I purchased either, would I still purchase the MF?   Probably not.  Someone with better ears than mine, might, however.

System 2.  Very highly rated everywhere.  Was the system, based on price, 10 times better than the M&M?  Imo, yes.  There is something about the andeio and Woo 6SE that transcends, to my ears, anything I have ever heard before and since.  However, if I was trying to justify the expense to my accountant, and I explained the difference, his answer would be no.

So what was my reason for writing this report?  Just to say congratulations to all at Schiit for their major accomplishment with the Magni 2 and Modi 2.  For so little money, in comparison to what is available in our audio hobby, the have created two tools that accomplish higher fidelity than anything close to their price range.  Bravo and many thanks!

Jan 20, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #8,387 of 13,350

I just found out about the Mani, going to replace the djpre2 with it

Let me know what you think. I'm wondering if I should try out the Mani vs. my Pro-Ject Phono Box.

Also feeling really thankful for my Modi 2U today. I'm using my RE-600s in the headphone out of my Dell desktop at work. I've never heard a worse DAC from a modern computer.

I would honestly expect the Pro-Ject to sound better but you never know, Schiit does some amazing stuff for what they charge.

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #8,388 of 13,350
Not surprised. Schiit does things 1000x better than other manufacturers.

Jan 20, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #8,389 of 13,350
  I would honestly expect the Pro-Ject to sound better but you never know, Schiit does some amazing stuff for what they charge.

It's the only phono pre I've used and I'm perfectly satisfied with it, got it for $50 with my turntable but I am curious. Might have to take the plunge for comparisons sake. I've no qualms with the Phono Box but curiosity may get the better of me. 

Jan 21, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #8,390 of 13,350
is it true that magni and vali sounds largely similar?
and for average people. without nitpicking the difference, it sounds the same?

i've read in passing somebody posted it on a schiit thread a couple weeks back, but i can't remember which thread or who posted it. I think the poster put up some measurements or some proof as well.

Anybody have any opinions on the topic?

Jan 21, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #8,391 of 13,350
  is it true that magni and vali sounds largely similar?
and for average people. without nitpicking the difference, it sounds the same?

i've read in passing somebody posted it on a schiit thread a couple weeks back, but i can't remember which thread or who posted it. I think the poster put up some measurements or some proof as well.

Anybody have any opinions on the topic?

Magni is brighter while the Vali sounds smoother. 

Jan 21, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #8,392 of 13,350
Hi guys,

Great to join the Schiit Family ~!~!

Received today. A long wait for V2 since it went into backorder status since late Dec 2014.
The wait is worthwhile.

Bifrost Uber/USB + Valhalla2

L3000.gif

Jan 21, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #8,394 of 13,350

The mani has less THD and the RIAA curve is more precise. By default it is going sound better

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #8,395 of 13,350

The mani has less THD and the RIAA curve is more precise. By default it is going sound better

Do you have any idea if I'd need a certain tier of turntable/cartridge combo to hear that difference or would the change be noticeable with any tier of TT? My Debut Carbon has the stock 2M Red and acrylic platter.

Jan 21, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #8,399 of 13,350
  Do you have any idea if I'd need a certain tier of turntable/cartridge combo to hear that difference or would the change be noticeable with any tier of TT? My Debut Carbon has the stock 2M Red and acrylic platter.

while the cart makes the largest impact, if your phono pre can't correct to the curb properly, then it doesn't matter. Your setup is going to sing

Jan 21, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #8,400 of 13,350

while the cart makes the largest impact, if your phono pre can't correct to the curb properly, then it doesn't matter. Your setup is going to sing

Okay I see. I'm not too knowledgeable on vinyl gear. I just bought a solid setup used and have been enjoying it. Right now my records sound as good or slightly better (more of an SQ preference than a step up in resolution) than their FLAC companions. Mostly speculation, but anyone think a Mani might push that over the top. Figured I'd at least ask before I decide to try it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back