Schiit Owners Unite
Nov 5, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #13,321 of 13,350
Nov 5, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #13,322 of 13,350
Just spotted this thread. I've been enjoying music again since buying Schiit Freya+ and Bifrost2/64 in September.
Patiently awaiting Mjolnir 3 and Urd. Have always listened to loudspeakers, trying headphones soon. Vinyl and CD sources.
Enjoying reading thru the various Schiit threads
Welcome, and I’d give the traditional “Sorry for your wallet!”, but if you’ve got all that already or on the way, you know. Frankly, this thread sees little activit, for the real thread, see “Schiit Happened….”.

I’ve got most all of what you have, and I’m pleased as punch. I use Freya S though. Mjolnir 3 is here on loan through December, thanks to a good friend, but my amp currently there is a Lyr 2, which is amazing. Which headphones are you thinking about?

And again, welcome to the nuthouse.

Nov 5, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #13,323 of 13,350
Welcome, and I’d give the traditional “Sorry for your wallet!”, but if you’ve got all that already or on the way, you know. Frankly, this thread sees little activit, for the real thread, see “Schiit Happened….”.

I’ve got most all of what you have, and I’m pleased as punch. I use Freya S though. Mjolnir 3 is here on loan through December, thanks to a good friend, but my amp currently there is a Lyr 2, which is amazing. Which headphones are you thinking about?

And again, welcome to the nuthouse.
Thanks! My wallet is neither thick nor deep, so I'll be at a standstill till I figure something else out to buy more phones. Sold a vintage camera and lens to get the Urd and MJ3 and a early LCD2. I tuned in to head-fi from a link on the Schiit site, so yes, aware of "Schiit Happened.."as well as the other "...Impressions of Mjolnir3".

Nov 6, 2023 at 12:04 AM Post #13,324 of 13,350
Viva is fine, as far as my experience goes. Last time I looked, they did not have any 6N6Ps, so I resorted to ebay. If you want the seller’s name, pm me.

i really like 5670s (they need an adapter) in front, tubedepot.com has both, and they tend to be cheaper than 6922/ECC88s.

They had them on their ebay store. Ill take a look at the 5670s.

I don’t have a Valhalla so I’m not sure but I would think they do.

Do you happen to recall if the 6n6ps need to be matched? I know in Folkvangr they don’t… Tak!

I don't know why but I thought that matching mattered much less, like makes little to no difference, when it came the the 6n6ps in the back.

Nov 6, 2023 at 1:39 AM Post #13,325 of 13,350
They were meant to last, as well as to survive repeated on/off cycles. Best part is that they sound great, too!

edit: good reading here! https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=148150.0
Good historical post ! ... and agreed.

I was fortunate enough to find a European supplier of these tubes/valves, although I don't know if he still has any in stock ... I bought 3 pairs at the time. They should last me a while !

I also found the original brochure for the GE 5670 5-Star, which prompted me to buy them in the first place.
http://www.tubebooks.org/tubedata/GE_5star.pdf

EDIT: Worth emphasising to readers who may not be familiar with these tubes ... they do need converters... you can't just plug them into the MJOLNIR 2 sockets.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #13,326 of 13,350
5670s aren’t at Viva, IIRC. I’ve had good luck at TubeDepot.com. These also need an adapter, as @Charente pointed out. in the Schiit universe, only Vali 2++ takes them without an adapter!

Nov 6, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #13,327 of 13,350
Good historical post ! ... and agreed.

I was fortunate enough to find a European supplier of these tubes/valves, although I don't know if he still has any in stock ... I bought 3 pairs at the time. They should last me a while !

I also found the original brochure for the GE 5670 5-Star, which prompted me to buy them in the first place.
http://www.tubebooks.org/tubedata/GE_5star.pdf

EDIT: Worth emphasising to readers who may not be familiar with these tubes ... they do need converters... you can't just plug them into the MJOLNIR 2 sockets.
Ty for the brochure!

Nov 6, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #13,328 of 13,350
FYI, the folks at Schiit answered my question about the 6N6Ps in Valhalla2. They DO NEED TO BE MATCHED for channel balance.

Nov 6, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #13,329 of 13,350

I don't know why but I thought that matching mattered much less, like makes little to no difference, when it came the the 6n6ps in the back.
And in other news, 6N6Ps are back on vivatubes.com. I’d play them against their ebay sales, too.

Nov 7, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #13,331 of 13,350
5670s aren’t at Viva, IIRC. I’ve had good luck at TubeDepot.com. These also need an adapter, as @Charente pointed out. in the Schiit universe, only Vali 2++ takes them without an adapter!

Ok. I was also going to try out some 12AT7s/ RFT ECC81 also someone in the rolling thread said they sounded good and were reasonable, but also need an adaptor.

Were the 5670 the ones Mike recommended? I did a crapton of reading on tubes when I first got this amp, then I put the JANs in, it they sounded fine so I back burnered everything. Since I didn't want to spend a couple hundred on socket savers, adaptors and tubes all at once.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #13,332 of 13,350
Nov 9, 2023 at 1:17 AM Post #13,333 of 13,350
Nov 10, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #13,334 of 13,350
From memory, Mike particularly liked the Western Electric variant (WE396) ... but they are a price and a half now !!
Yes. I grabbed one for Vali, and it’s the best i have for either variant (2 w/adapter and 2++).

Nov 13, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #13,335 of 13,350
Ok, I just got some adaptors from Garage 1217 which are way nicer than anything you can get on ebay and not much more expensive, so I'm gonna try them.

So aside from the WE396As, which would legit cost more than I paid for the amp and I am just not going to do that. What are some relatively inexpensive 5670s I can try? The Philips JAN 6922s I'm using right now do sound pretty decent though, definitely a good improvement over the stock ones for me at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back