Schiit Owners Unite
Oct 28, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #7,233 of 13,350
Looking for a desktop setup and an upgrade from my fiio e10. Phones right now are DT770 80s and down the road looking for some harder to drive phones...AKG Sextetts, K/Q701s, Grados...I know huge difference in signature there, Maybe some orthos but most likely some vintage Yamahas or HE400s if I can find a deal..anything more and they are far out of my price range. So basically something that should drive just about anything save for the most power hungry phones. 

I started out looking at the Asgard2..but I wondered if id be able to tell the difference from a Magni using what I have and what I will probably have down the road. Ive seen everything from the Asgard is totally in a class above to there inst much difference at all depending. Plus if I went with the Magni I could upgrade my DAC too..otherwise with the asgard id have to use the DAC from the Fiio, which has a WM8740, not sure if that great or not but it should get the job done for a little wile at least. 

I would look at a Schiit Audio's Valhalla 2, it's a good tube amp with some power behind it.

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #7,235 of 13,350
is the lyr 2 that much better than valhalla 2?

im getting the uber bifrost for sure
but not sure on the amp

i have hd 600s and will prob get better headphones in time

not sure on what way to go

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #7,236 of 13,350
  is the lyr 2 that much better than valhalla 2?
i have hd 600s and will prob get better headphones in time

If you will stick to high impedance cans like HD600, then Valhalla 2 would do just fine. If you were thinking about getting some planars, then I'd get Lyr.
Or you could save yourself some cash and grab an Asgard 2, which would do almost any can out there without a problem. No messing with tubes either.

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #7,237 of 13,350
  The Valhalla is kind of out of my price range unfortunately, trying to stay around 250..plus wouldn't the tubes bloat the bass on my DT770s to much?

Asgard 2 sounds like a perfect amp for you.

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #7,238 of 13,350
The big reasons to get an Asgard 2 over a Magni are:

1) Gain Switch
2) Preamp Outs

I've heard that Asgard sounds "better" than Magni, but not so much a night/day difference. So I think you should choose based on these. Magni should still be able to drive many, many models, but it lacks the utility of the second generation products.

Oct 28, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #7,240 of 13,350
And that's why I brought up the gain switch and preamp outs. Actually, I've been thinking about picking up an Asgard 2 the next time I upgrade my office. I could get a pair of studio monitors to replace my trusty Logitech speakers, and the Asgard would give me a reason to buy a really nice pair of planar magnetic headphones that wouldn't play as nice with my Valhalla 1...

Oct 28, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #7,241 of 13,350
Bad news on the Mani front.  Isolated the problem to the Mani, most likely the wall wart.  I read where the thin wire can act like an antenna.  Seems that's what's going on here.  I plugged the TT directly into the Lyr, and with the volume damn near max'd, I heard music and no static.  Added the Mani to the chain and got instant static.  Pity, as I like it a lot, but this is the only location I can use.

Back to the drawing board.  Should I get a Cambridge or try something far less expensive?  I already no I'm going to miss the gain settings on the Mani.

Oct 28, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #7,242 of 13,350
Before you throw out the Mani, check with Schiit. They might have a solution.

And from a coneptual POV, maybe look into shielding the power cable? I feel like there should be a way to block some of the static EMI...I could be wrong, though.

EDIT: also, this is the kind of thing Schiit should know about for future enahnces/fixes/upgrades/whatever.

Oct 28, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #7,243 of 13,350
Before you throw out the Mani, check with Schiit. They might have a solution.

And from a coneptual POV, maybe look into shielding the power cable? I feel like there should be a way to block some of the static EMI...I could be wrong, though.

EDIT: also, this is the kind of thing Schiit should know about for future enahnces/fixes/upgrades/whatever.

Thought about shielding bu don't have the material and time is short.  I'll give them a full report, but I doubt there's much they can do.  I did a lot of reading, and wall warts are often mentioned as the source of the problem.  TTs are, too, FWIW, but my test was pretty good, I think.  And in a different, temporary location, the Mani was fine.  Last thing to do is replace the WiFi adapter, which I have and was going to do anyway.  Doubt that'll matter, as WiFi signals are WiFi signals, but we shall see.

Oct 28, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #7,244 of 13,350

confirmed as I listed to the Fulla at RMAF.
one micro mini USB in, one 1/8 headphone out.

similar DAC chip to what's in Modi, and about the only tweak left might be the gain values.
Fulla was super (too?) powerful for IEMs, couldn't go past 9am on volume knob.

edit: to mini.

Alright, thanks for the info. Is there any amp comparable (soundsignature wise) to the one that should be on the Fulla? Or is it a brand new Schiit headphone amp? Just to know what I can expect

Just curious - if you're looking at desktop setup are you looking at Fulla based on price?  Otherwise Modi/Magni would be logical consideration :)

Exactly. The Fulla would be less than half of the Magni/Modi combo! And money isn't raining on my pocket these days. Also I live in Portugal, and shipping would had an extra 40$ to the price.

Oct 28, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #7,245 of 13,350

Alright, thanks for the info. Is there any amp comparable (soundsignature wise) to the one that should be on the Fulla? Or is it a brand new Schiit headphone amp? Just to know what I can expect

no clue about direct comparisons, as RMAF was pretty loud and didn't listen to the Magni there.
likely you should wait until it's announced to see what/how the headphone amp is implemented.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back