Schiit Owners Unite
Oct 18, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #526 of 13,350
Quote:
My Bifrost has a yellow/cream white while new Lyr has a bright LED white

Why are they so different?! :/ 

Maybe I just need to put my Bifrost behind my monitor lol 

Oh, that's way different then. I've only had both white LED's, but on both the Asgard and Lyr the white was more opaque.

I can't recall about hearing yellow/cream white, that's kind of drastic in difference.

I always thought the reasons for the differences in LED's was due to different shapes or something. For instance, my Mjolnir is 
is more blob or dot like and opaque while the Gungnir is more rounded and full in brightness. 

Oct 18, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #528 of 13,350
Quote:
Hi. I'm using itune and amarra player.  it's digital out.  still no sound.

What about checking Amarra's Audio Device preferences? I've had some quirks
where Amarra will switch my settings to HDMI, thus no sound.

You should also try playing a youtube video or something similar, anything
outside of Amarra to eliminate the possibility of the problem being hardware.

Oct 18, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #529 of 13,350
problem fix...it was connection of my headphone.  Now i'm jamming!!

Thank you  
deadhorse.gif

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #530 of 13,350
Quote:

This really irks my OCD as well. My Mjolnir has an opaque, cream white LED, while my Gungnir has bright, transparent white LED's. My Lyr was similar to the Mjolnir, but the two other Bifrosts I owned had the birght LEDs like the Gungnir. Not sure why Schiit skimps on this last detail.

Oct 19, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #531 of 13,350
I decided to just place electrical tape over the LEDs of my bifrost lol

I would place it on the lyr as well, but I don't want the tape to melt and get stuck due to the heat the lyr puts out.

I know it's nothing, but it really bugged a part of my brain seeing things matching but not completely uniform lol

Oct 19, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #532 of 13,350
FINALLY a member of this happy family. 
beyersmile.png

Got my Asgard a few weeks ago and am loving it.  Pairs quite nicely with my DT880s (250 ohm) and MSII. 

Now, to set my sights on one of those fancy Bifrost units...
beerchug.gif

Oct 19, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #534 of 13,350
Quote:

Are you sure it's that order?  That's the first i've heard of an amp being blue-white and the DAC being warm white.  It seems almost universal otherwise that the DACs have the cool white and the amps have the warm white.  Given the consistency of that I've always assumed it was intentional.  Maybe it's just a biproduct of the voltage going elsewhere on the amps?

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #535 of 13,350
Quote:

This really irks my OCD as well. My Mjolnir has an opaque, cream white LED, while my Gungnir has bright, transparent white LED's. My Lyr was similar to the Mjolnir, but the two other Bifrosts I owned had the birght LEDs like the Gungnir. Not sure why Schiit skimps on this last detail.

I also have a Schitt stack [sic] - Bifrost on bottom with Asgard above, connected by a set of PYST cables

The Bifrost LED is definitely a yellowish white, while the Asgard LED is "bright transparent" white.

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #536 of 13,350
Quote:
The Bifrost is a fine dac imo. I've mainly used usb but I've found optical to sound better out of my new MBP. It's subtle but I hear better clarity and it seems less flat in terms of dynamics. Unfortunately the Bifrost has a tendency to lose sync mid song via optical, resulting in skips and non stop clicking from the dac itself. I'm hoping it's the generic 2m toslink to mini toslink cable I have and will be ordering a shorter Siflex glass cable to test.

Interesting as I have come to the same conclusion - the optical output of my MBP 2011 13" sounds better than the usb -- not by much, but enough. Only limit is that MBP is limited to 96kHz (44.1, 48, 88.2 & 96kHz-- whilst my mac Mini 2009 can only do 44.1, 48 & 96kHz). How ever, don't have too much 192K stuff, and Audirvana + downsamplesfine.

Oct 20, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #537 of 13,350
Not sure why Schiit skimps on this last detail.

That is curious, with something that is so noticeable. With all other things aesthetic Shiit seems pretty thought out. I don't have a Shiit stack but if I did it would drive me nuts as well.

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #538 of 13,350
It doesn't seem to bother me at all.  Once the music is on, I'm usually working on the Mac or just sitting back and enjoying.  Here's a picture of my setup.  Not sure if the difference is more drastic on other setups.

Quote:
That is curious, with something that is so noticeable. With all other things aesthetic Shiit seems pretty thought out. I don't have a Shiit stack but if I did it would drive me nuts as well.

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #539 of 13,350
Yours is actually both bright white LEDs, 

My Bifrost has a more warmer/yellowish white while my Lyr is the same as yours.

But all is good now, all I needed was some electrical type lol 

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #540 of 13,350
Not sure why Schiit skimps on this last detail.

I've listed an IC in the FS section because I can't stand it anymore. Should take this opportunity to check out the Sonett 2 or WA2... though I'll probably end up getting another Mjolnir. Sigh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back