Schiit Owners Unite
Mar 18, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #31 of 13,350

Quote:
I seem to recall that Schiit recommended that owners mount the Asgard vertically with plenty of ventilation either side to disperse heat, but every photo I see of Schiit gear has the amps mounted horizontally, often with another component mounted atop the amp - great for photos, but not the best for heat dispersion.  

Does heat really hurt these things though? If anything I leave them on for a few hours to let the sound settle in, and I always have done that with my guitar amps

Mar 18, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #32 of 13,350

Quote:
Thanks for your input!!  How about anyone tried Asgard with HD800? 

Thanks

I've heard that too. Not as technically capable as the Valhalla. Smoother, but with a much bigger soundstage than the Valhalla, and that's just in a nutshell. It depends on the type of music selection you are using.

Mar 18, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #33 of 13,350
I'm listening Classical music (orchestral, symphony, concerto, and opera) and Jazz (Bill Evans...)
Christian Rock music.  and other genre such as soundtrack and world music
I guess Asgard will be the choice for me or no amp...

Thank you

Mar 18, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #34 of 13,350
Had the asgard and the bifrost.  I sold my asgard because I had another amp in the price range which I preferred.  The asgard is very nice though.  I don't see myself upgrading from the bifrost for a while.  I think it's a really great source.

I was using mostly HE-500 with the asgard, but I occasionally use grado sr80i, even though those are my travel phones for the most part.  Just using a little dot mkii for now until my decware amp comes in.  Thanks for making this thread.  Subbed~

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #35 of 13,350

Quote:
I got the Bifrost and Asgard powering my HE-500. I am very happy with them although i don't think Asgard is powering them as much as i would like. Still a good combo.

That's what my opinion was at first too.  It's not the low power that is making your he-500 sound like that.  Many amps in the range of 200-300 that I've tried actually sound similar regardless of power output.  I tried a number of different amps with different power levels and I was a little surprised with the he-500 how little difference the actual output makes.  With the asgard you get the bonus of it looking fantastic.  It has pretty nice staging qualities compared to a lot of amps in the price range as well.  I believe it was recommended for the he-500 in a headphonia review? out of the 3 schiit amps.

Mar 18, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #36 of 13,350
Class A amps run hot.  No real need to fear the heat.  Plus, Schiit gives you a 5 year warranty.  Use your amp without fear or reserve.  If it craps out, you're covered.  Plus, there's no way Jason and Mike would engineer something and then give it a 5 year warranty if it couldn't handle it.  They'd lose their arse if that were the case.

Quote:
Does heat really hurt these things though? If anything I leave them on for a few hours to let the sound settle in, and I always have done that with my guitar amps

Mar 18, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #37 of 13,350
Orthos are definitely not as influenced by amp coloration as their dynamic counterparts.  As long as the amps give the orthos enough current, differences between the sounds among amps will be subtle.  If there isn't enough current, the sonics and damping break down, which will cause differences in sound.

Quote:
That's what my opinion was at first too.  It's not the low power that is making your he-500 sound like that.  Many amps in the range of 200-300 that I've tried actually sound similar regardless of power output.  I tried a number of different amps with different power levels and I was a little surprised with the he-500 how little difference the actual output makes.  With the asgard you get the bonus of it looking fantastic.  It has pretty nice staging qualities compared to a lot of amps in the price range as well.  I believe it was recommended for the he-500 in a headphonia review? out of the 3 schiit amps.

Mar 18, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #38 of 13,350

Quote:
Orthos are definitely not as influenced by amp coloration as their dynamic counterparts.  As long as the amps give the orthos enough current, differences between the sounds among amps will be subtle.  If there isn't enough current, the sonics and damping break down, which will cause differences in sound.

I see.  Well that makes perfect sense then.

Mar 18, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #39 of 13,350
I think you're sense is spot on. Of course, Lyr does a great job of lighting up my HE-500's. I'm writing a review on a Hybrid amp called 'Project Sunrise II' that'll post within the week. Fully built, it's about the cost of Asgard and does a fantastic job of drive the HE-500's. As a matter of fact, Project Sunrise II + Silver Dragon V3 + Siemens & Halske E188CC is sonic bliss.

Quote:
I got the Bifrost and Asgard powering my HE-500. I am very happy with them although i don't think Asgard is powering them as much as i would like. Still a good combo.

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #40 of 13,350
Oh trust me I fully intend on leaving it on for 5-6 hours at a time (those are how long my listening sessions are sometimes) while I build cables :D

Quote:
Class A amps run hot.  No real need to fear the heat.  Plus, Schiit gives you a 5 year warranty.  Use your amp without fear or reserve.  If it craps out, you're covered.  Plus, there's no way Jason and Mike would engineer something and then give it a 5 year warranty if it couldn't handle it.  They'd lose their arse if that were the case.

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #41 of 13,350

Quote:

My initial comment re vertical placement was only prompted by earlier concerns about the heat generated by the Asgard. Schiit make a point of mentioning that their amps run hot by design - its hardly a new thing - but some still seem deterred by any mention of a 'hot' enclosure. Move to Maine or Tasmania and the heat would probably be welcome  :)

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #42 of 13,350
Any point in "burning in" an amp?  I just got the Asgard and I heard it gets a lot better after about 100 hours.  So I have just been letting it run continuously for several hours while I'm not listening to it.  Plus my HD600s are new, so I'm burning them in as well.

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #43 of 13,350

Quote:
Any point in "burning in" an amp?  I just got the Asgard and I heard it gets a lot better after about 100 hours.  So I have just been letting it run continuously for several hours while I'm not listening to it.  Plus my HD600s are new, so I'm burning them in as well.

Yes.  Also sometimes it just takes getting used to the particular sound of one amp over another.  You have to burn your ears in :wink:  All I know is after a certain amount of time things sound different and usually better.

Mar 19, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #44 of 13,350
IMHO, burn in works on the both your brain and the gear.  There's truth to it.

Mar 19, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #45 of 13,350
Alright folks, it's picture time :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back