Schiit Owners Unite
Sep 13, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #3,331 of 13,350
  What do you mean loaded through the usb port?  If you have foobar installed the WASAPI plugin should install and be ready for use.

Yes I have it running through my usb port and I do have foobar with the WASAPI plug in installed.  It's just not an option under preferences > playback > devices.  My directx is up to date for win 7.  I did remove my on board sound drivers and disabled it in BIOS when I installed the asus essence stx sound card.  I don't think there's anywhere in windows where I could have uninstalled it by mistake either. Should it be shown in device manager (in control panel)?

Sep 13, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #3,334 of 13,350

When you right click on the volume icon on the taskbar and click on playback devices, do you see Schiit usb as a device?

It shows it as a usb device.  It sounds good right now, but I guess I'm wondering how much better wasapi is.

So you're just missing WASAPI individually? Try musicbee instead. I found it to be a much better implementation for playback over foobar. 

Sep 13, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #3,336 of 13,350

Have you tried to reinstall the plugin?
Just thought I would ask but you do have Vista sp1 or greater?

I've tried installing the plugin multiple times.  This is on a new gaming rig with win 7.   Is the difference that much better?  It sounds really good as is, but I am not an audiofile nut.  I'm more into cars and videogames.    

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #3,338 of 13,350
I downloaded musicbee and wasapi output works.  So it looks like  foobar doesn't like my system.  Maybe I'll also try downloading jriver.  People seem to think that it's the best sounding player out there.  I used to think all music players were alike for sound output, but I guess some people don't think so.

The schiit/senn hd 650 combo sounds plenty good to me with or without wasapi.  I guess I don't feel that it is 100% important to have it, but I was curious if it made a big difference.

edit:
I downloaded jriver trial and wow it sounds better.  Just a little extra clarity and oomph.  

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #3,339 of 13,350
  Can you use wasapi through USB? I thought you could only use ASIO.

yup, you can run wasapi through usb. i use it all the time. 

Sep 15, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #3,340 of 13,350
IMO:

For the HD800 and HD700, both Valhalla and Lyr are good amps but I like the Lyr more.

For HD650, All three Lyr, Valhalla and Asgard 2 are good amps but I like the Valhalla much more.

Sep 17, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #3,341 of 13,350
i'm about to go uber, the board arrived today

Sep 17, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #3,343 of 13,350
had a bit of a scare, i got it all put back together, turned it on to listen, nothing !
double checked all connections, still nothing.
took it back apart, looked at it , when plugging the board in, i had missed with some of the pins !
took the board back out, adjusted placement, put it all back together
BOOM ! music
i now have a usb gen 2 uberfrost

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #3,344 of 13,350
  had a bit of a scare, i got it all put back together, turned it on to listen, nothing !
double checked all connections, still nothing.
took it back apart, looked at it , when plugging the board in, i had missed with some of the pins !
took the board back out, adjusted placement, put it all back together
BOOM ! music
i now have a usb gen 2 uberfrost

any improvement in SQ?

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #3,345 of 13,350
any improvement in SQ?

Yes, there is a noticeable improvement, but I need to spend some more time listening to get a better feel of what I'm hearing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back