Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 24, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #1,547 of 13,350
Sorry- I meant the power cord to the Magni.
But my question- more specifically- is how do you power down the Modi so the light goes off?

As long as the USB port is energized the Modi will be powered up.

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #1,548 of 13,350
I jumped on the Schiit wagon today. After spending the better part of this week dreaming about and pondering amps, I placed an order for a Magni. I was going to order the Modi with it but I'm going to hold off on that for a while. I will have a FiiO E07K to use as a DAC in the meantime.

It was hard picking between the Magni and the Asgard 2 but I think I'll be happy with these results at a fraction of the price. Picking apart subtle differences between gear isn't my strong suit so it was hard to justify spending the extra $150. Not that I doubt the quality of the Asgard in any way.

Now I have to play the waiting game.

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #1,549 of 13,350
I want to use the A2's at my desk with my Schiit Asgard2 /Bifrost or Lyr/Bifrost combo.
I listen with LCD2's

I just want a little something for my work desk and I can move either combo to my desk without too much fuss.

The A2's are right in my price range for this function but I don't want junk.

I've read the thread and they seem to be well received.
Any change in that opinion?

Thanks

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #1,550 of 13,350
I'm looking for some little speakers for my work desk.  I can move either my Asgard2 /Bifrost or Lyr/Bifrost combo there easily to hookup.

I found these:

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-A2

There's a HF thread that likes them, but it's not too deep.

The A2's are right in my price range for this function but I don't want junk.
Anyone have experience with these and Schiit gear?

Thanks

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #1,552 of 13,350
Audioengine makes great speakers for the price.  

Thanks Hodgjy,

Ever hear them with Schiit gear?
They should go nicely and provide a little "desk music"

You know, above the speakers built into my Mac Monitor

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #1,553 of 13,350
I have not.  When my A2 comes in, I'm giving a long look at the A5+ speakers.

Quote:

Thanks Hodgjy,

Ever hear them with Schiit gear?
They should go nicely and provide a little "desk music"

You know, above the speakers built into my Mac Monitor

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #1,554 of 13,350
Feb 24, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #1,555 of 13,350
I've only heard the A5+ and not with Schmitt stuff either. I thought they were great little speakers. I'm using my Schitt with a Sony CT-150 and it sounds fantastic, the A2s have to be better than the Sony stuff which is really junk.

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #1,556 of 13,350
Quote:
I've only heard the A5+ and not with Schmitt stuff either. I thought they were great little speakers. I'm using my Schitt with a Sony CT-150 and it sounds fantastic, the A2s have to be better than the Sony stuff which is really junk.

Thanks for the feedback.
If consumer grade Sony speakers sound good......

The A5+ are $399.  (469 for Bamboo)
The A2's are $200 (black/white)  And have really good reviews.

In the link above the author preferred the A2's  Amazon feedback is very good as well.
I have to fight my instinct that a bigger price tag will be "2X" better.   I do like the A5+ in bamboo  
smile.gif

I think $200 will win.

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #1,557 of 13,350
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.
If consumer grade Sony speakers sound good......

The A5+ are $399.  (469 for Bamboo)
The A2's are $200 (black/white)  And have really good reviews.

In the link above the author preferred the A2's  Amazon feedback is very good as well.
I have to fight my instinct that a bigger price tag will be "2X" better.   I do like the A5+ in bamboo  
smile.gif

I think $200 will win.

Why not order them both and return the 'inferior' pair? This way you can remove the "What If?" factor...

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #1,558 of 13,350
Can anywhere here tell me if the upgrade from Magni/Modi to lets say Asgard 2/Bifrost worth it? I plan to get a Schiit stack along with some ~$400-$600 headphones this summer and I cant decide if I should just go the extra mile for the Asgard 2 and Bifrost or start small with Magni and Modi.

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #1,559 of 13,350
Quote:
Can anywhere here tell me if the upgrade from Magni/Modi to lets say Asgard 2/Bifrost worth it? I plan to get a Schiit stack along with some ~$400-$600 headphones this summer and I cant decide if I should just go the extra mile for the Asgard 2 and Bifrost or start small with Magni and Modi.

My opinion..... go for the Bifrost/Asgard2.  To my ears it's a big difference.
I owned the M/M and traded to the Asgard2/ Bifrost.
I just did not like the sound of the M/M.   There are hoards of folks that love them.

I also own a Bifrost / Lyr.  This most likely, had a lot to do with my dissatisfaction with the M/M.
The Asgard2 combo comes close.   I find it very musical.  It drives my LCD2's very nicely.

However it's $600 (non USB) v. $200  That's a big difference.  I thought it was worth it.
IMO the Bifrost does not need USB.  Neither of mine do.

Again, everyone loves the M/M... except me.

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #1,560 of 13,350
Quote:

Aaron94

for what its worth, I bought a Bifrost/Asgard 1 last month. I also wanted a Magni/Modi combo but after the Asgard 2 came out, I wrote to Jason seeking his advice between the Magni and the Asgard 2. I own the HE-400 and Audeze LCD 2 in addition to the ATH-50 and Grado 325is. Jason said the Magni was just fine for my needs. 

I'm sure other Head-fiers have their .02 worth (Wayne, I stole your favorite phrase
biggrin.gif
).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back