Schiit Modi USB DAC
Jan 18, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #331 of 870
So... I managed to lose one of the rubber feet sets for the MM stack I just bought... is there anything in particular anyone would recommend or should I just grab whatever I find at home depot or wherever :p

Additionally, I'm curious if anyone has had any experience using some sort of RCA splitter with their Modi.  I ask this as I would like to connect it to my M-Audio AV40 speakers without having to alternate the plug between the Magni and the speakers :p

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #333 of 870
  So... I managed to lose one of the rubber feet sets for the MM stack I just bought... is there anything in particular anyone would recommend or should I just grab whatever I find at home depot or wherever :p

Additionally, I'm curious if anyone has had any experience using some sort of RCA splitter with their Modi.  I ask this as I would like to connect it to my M-Audio AV40 speakers without having to alternate the plug between the Magni and the speakers :p

The folks at Schiit are really nice. I'm sure they would be happy to mail you another set of feet for free or a nominal charge.

Jan 18, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #334 of 870
The only CD player I know of that has USB output is a computer. It's strictly a USB DAC which means it really only works with computers and USB host devices as many mobile devices support now, though power consumption is usually higher than allowed for mobile devices.

Thanks for the response! I'm wondering if I should buy their next level up DAC to go with my CD player? Thoughts, anyone?

Jan 18, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #335 of 870
Schiit makes good stuff, it's hard to be unhappy with them especially at the price. The Bifrost would be excellent for a CD player. However a good CD player will usually have a good DAC in it. If you're just getting a DAC for the CD player it might not be worthwhile. If you get a DAC for a CD player, Computer, and other devices and use it in one spot then it makes a lot of sense.

Jan 18, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #337 of 870
Does the Modi need to be used with a computer or can it be used with a portable player like a Sansa clip?

It needs to connect through a type A to type B usb cable so you will need a comp or something else w/ usb ports.
the sansa clip wouldn't work in that case and even if it did, there are smaller and lighter portable dacs that can accomplish the same thing although the few i have seen were for apple idevices

Jan 18, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #338 of 870
Schiit makes good stuff, it's hard to be unhappy with them especially at the price. The Bifrost would be excellent for a CD player. However a good CD player will usually have a good DAC in it. If you're just getting a DAC for the CD player it might not be worthwhile. If you get a DAC for a CD player, Computer, and other devices and use it in one spot then it makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for the tips! I just have an old portable CD player (a Sony), so I'm not sure if it has a good DAC or not. Is the Bifrost their next level up for DACs?

Jan 18, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #339 of 870

BTW, could you provide a download link for the generic USB drivers?

I deleted the ASMedia USB3 driver, then I Uninstalled all USB3 and USB ports from Hardware Manager. Then I rebooted and let Windows 8.1 auto-configure them. The Modi works fine in the blue USB3 port with Windows drivers. All my other USB things are plugged in the USB 2.0.

Unrelated, I had a problem with me webcam driver. I simply scraped it and let Windows handle it. Anything since Windowns 7, I don't bother with manufacturer drivers. Windows Update gives you the Microsoft certified drivers.

Jan 18, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #340 of 870
  I deleted the ASMedia USB3 driver, then I Uninstalled all USB3 and USB ports from Hardware Manager. Then I rebooted and let Windows 8.1 auto-configure them. The Modi works fine in the blue USB3 port with Windows drivers. All my other USB things are plugged in the USB 2.0.

Unrelated, I had a problem with me webcam driver. I simply scraped it and let Windows handle it. Anything since Windowns 7, I don't bother with manufacturer drivers. Windows Update gives you the Microsoft certified drivers.

OK, thanks!

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #341 of 870
A portable CD player is very unlikely to have digital out. That advice applies to a full size CD player. A portable will be at the will of its existing setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back