Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Aug 2, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #362 of 3,541
Can anyone show some internal pics?

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #363 of 3,541
I'm surprised everyone is so quiet about this amp. It sounds great to my ears right out of the box. I'm listening on my LCD-3's.

It is a little bigger and heavier than you would think. I love the red board and 2 internal leds. A poor mans vacuum tube look.

I love the bass. Clearly effortless with tons of headroom. You don't really hear it as much as it's just there, like it's supposed to be. An odd description I suppose. Anyway, very nice.

I haven't had a lot of headphone amps so I don't know that I can give you much of a sound signature or anything. Strangely coming from my Eximus headphone out, I notice the mids the most. Of course, half the time I'm listening to my Pro-900's so don't read too much into that. I give it a thumbs up.

Aug 2, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #366 of 3,541
The mids are more pronounced. The Eximus amp is a bit hollow, dry, and a little whimpy. It's sounds like it's missing something in other words. You end up wanting to turn up the treble and bass controls (which don't exist, of course). I'm no longer waiting for the rest of the sound to show up. So, at least in my case, it really makes a big difference what my phones sound like.

Aug 2, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #367 of 3,541
Quote:
I'm surprised everyone is so quiet about this amp. It sounds great to my ears right out of the box. I'm listening on my LCD-3's.
It is a little bigger and heavier than you would think. I love the red board and 2 internal leds. A poor mans vacuum tube look.
I love the bass. Clearly effortless with tons of headroom. You don't really hear it as much as it's just there, like it's supposed to be. An odd description I suppose. Anyway, very nice.
I haven't had a lot of headphone amps so I don't know that I can give you much of a sound signature or anything. Strangely coming from my Eximus headphone out, I notice the mids the most. Of course, half the time I'm listening to my Pro-900's so don't read too much into that. I give it a thumbs up.

The bass was the first thing I noticed too when I listened to it with the LCD-3s.  It's much more pronounced in the low end and has more punchy mid-bass.  I am really enjoying this amp and have been listening to it all day today.  It's been on 12 hours straight and still warm to the touch.    

Aug 2, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #369 of 3,541
One more has landed. This is my first Schiit amp and the build quality just seems amazing for the price. It makes the thin sheet metal of my Apex Peak seem just that much worse. We'll see about the sound. Listening with the HD800 now and sounds promising.

Aug 2, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #370 of 3,541
Looks great! keep those impressions coming!

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #372 of 3,541
Quote:
And where does the Bryston fit in there JMan?

The Bryston and Mjolnir are both great amps, but a little different depending on the headphones used.  They both provide excellent mid-bass, low-end extension, and lots of power.  The top-end is where I hear more differences.  On the Bryston it just sounds a little too sharp for me when pairing with the GS1000i and HD800, but not to the point where it becomes harsh around the edges.  The LCD-3's goes very well with the Bryston.  On the other hand all my headphones sound really nice on the Mjolnir.  It's very clean sounding and no harshness around the edges and I have not had to take breaks like I do with the Bryston.  I still need to spend more time with them both, but as of now I give the edge to the Mjolnir. (not taking price in consideration).            

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #373 of 3,541
some pics...i have to say photo wise Mjolnir goes very well with either HD800 or HE-6...same goes for the sound actually...
dt880smile.png

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #375 of 3,541
All ye lucky few who are obviously too busy enjoying your new Schiit to post many impressions...
biggrin.gif

would it be fair to call Mjolnir uncolored, transparent, clean with loads of power when needed?

Maybe an amp that takes time to appreciate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back