Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Sep 19, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #3,242 of 3,541
I have the same problem -- although it's always the right channel, and it occurred on two different Mjolnirs. In my case, the hum was unbearable and included distortion in bass frequencies. I bought a Tripp Lite isolation transformer (IS500HG) that all but solved the problem. I can still hear the hum if the dimmers are on but only when not playing music or in between tracks. In fact, with the Tripp Lite, the Mjolnir is quieter than my Lyr -- and the Lyr never bothered me until I got the Mjolnir and started obsessing over the hum.

FWIW, I ended up getting a WA22 and splitting the balanced outs from the Gungnir to both amps. The WA22 has been dead silent so far -- although I haven't purposefully turned on all dimmers in the house to see just how sensitive it is. YMMV of course. In my case, the dimmers aren't even on the same circuit as the audio equipment and all the dimmers are consumer Lutron editions.

Sep 22, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #3,243 of 3,541
Zabzaf I've seen it said the circlotron topology in the mjolnir is more sensitive to ac line noise than other types.  Don't know if tha'ts technically true but I also had a buzz in my mjolnir and I isolated it to the ceiling light dimmer switch in my living room .  I started researching all sorts of expensive power filtering and power transformer options but I decided to just replace the light switch with a cheap on/off type and that fixed it.  If yours is a dimmer you might want to try that, or maybe just install a nicer light switch and it might not have that problem.  I know lutron ones are supposed to be good, their dimmer switches have built in rfi/emi filters.  It's weird, right?  None of my other amps had the buzzing, only the mjolnir.  

Thanks. I've found that if I simply turn the switch off, problem solved. My solution is perfect so long as no one is in the kitchen at night. If so, it's single-channel buzz time.

Sep 23, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #3,245 of 3,541
  Zabzaf I've seen it said the circlotron topology in the mjolnir is more sensitive to ac line noise than other types.  Don't know if tha'ts technically true but I also had a buzz in my mjolnir and I isolated it to the ceiling light dimmer switch in my living room .  I started researching all sorts of expensive power filtering and power transformer options but I decided to just replace the light switch with a cheap on/off type and that fixed it.  If yours is a dimmer you might want to try that, or maybe just install a nicer light switch and it might not have that problem.  I know lutron ones are supposed to be good, their dimmer switches have built in rfi/emi filters.  It's weird, right?  None of my other amps had the buzzing, only the mjolnir.  

I've been looking at the Mjolnir as a potential "buy", but I have to admit this discussion has been a BUZZkill for me.  (intended)

Sep 23, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #3,246 of 3,541

I've been looking at the Mjolnir as a potential "buy", but I have to admit this discussion has been a BUZZkill for me.  (intended)

I've had no buzz problems at all in a house with lots of dimmers and 1970s wiring.  Zero, nothing.

Sep 23, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #3,247 of 3,541

Sorry to hijack this thread, but reading the reports about this issue, I can also report that it is audible in the Schiit Vali - right hand channel also.

I was surprised that it isn't mentioned in any Vali discussions, but wonder if somehow owners are mistaking microphonics for this, and accepting the nuisance (or simply returning them) since it was perhaps their first venture into tube land (as was mine).

It used to come and go, and drove me nuts for a week.

My solution was to place an RF clamp around my RCA interconnect - right channel, right up at the back of the Vali connector. Job done, no noise.. period..

Completely forgot about the workaround until I changed RCA`s without moving the clamp and sure enough, the buzz came back.

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #3,248 of 3,541

I do have a problem with a dimmer that is on the same circuit. My simple fix? Turn off the dimmer switch when listen to my home rig.
Also I, not sure if its the DAC or the MOJO as they are both plugged into the same socket.

Sep 23, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #3,249 of 3,541

I have owned all of the Schiit amps (except the Rag of course) at one time or another and with the exception of a bad tube that I purchased off of ebay for my Valhalla they have been absolutely silent. I empathize with the users that have hum issues, but I really don't think it is a systemic Shiit issue. 

Sep 23, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #3,250 of 3,541

I've had zero problems with my Mjolnir and it is one of the quietest amplifiers that I own, which is astounding given its ultimate power and dynamic range.

Sep 24, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #3,252 of 3,541

So this is pretty much an anomaly?  It's no more susceptible than any other amp?

Not sure that "anomaly" is the correct term, there are all kinds of things in your home/office that can make your audio equipment make some weird noises. The problem with using forum post to make purchasing decisions is that the 98% of users that have no problem are not going to come on the forums and declare that their amp doesn't hum. We are just going to enjoy our equipment and move on. So you get a very skewed perspective.

Sep 24, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #3,253 of 3,541

My Mjolnir has been and is working flawlessly for many thousands of hours of listening. No buzzing no noise no nothing. Just great music through all the LCD phones I have had. Still looking to ge a Rag one of these days + Ygg when they make those available.

Sep 27, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #3,254 of 3,541

Don't let this discourage you. Knowing what I know, it's still a tremendous value relative to the quality of the amp. I would buy it all over again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back