Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Feb 27, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #1,816 of 3,004
I can vouch for MJ3 as a pre-amp, so much better than the internal pre-amp in my Model 30. Not just improvement in dynamics, but gives notes a sweetness that invokes emotion. Like small plucks on guitar stings have feeling, playing the same track without the MJ3 and the magic is gone. Not subtle at all, it is a significant difference.

Feb 27, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #1,817 of 3,004
To anyone based in the EU that Is interested i'm selling my Mjolnir 3 i know i'll regret It but i Need the funds for another project that Is not related to this hobby It's ready to be shipped i'm selling even the Frerot + Pow1 combo in the classified section.

Feb 27, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #1,818 of 3,004
Thanks, man!

I can't wait to spend more time with it this weekend and really find out how good it is.
Give us your impressions once you have some time spend with this amp and it's fully burned in plox!!!!

Feb 27, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #1,819 of 3,004
Then dont try it lol
Just saying, if the MJ3 just pushed aside an amp as well regarded in the community like the Bliss is like it was nothing nothing and given that's like 3x the price, then it's the real deal.

Feb 27, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #1,820 of 3,004
Currently running Jot2 (low gain, 2 o’clock volume) preamp to MJ3( high gain, PP mode, 1 o’clock) on the Susvara then added EQ to R&B. Sweet mids and highs with slamming smooth bass and rather loud at 90 db. I can see why the HEK stealth doesn’t hold a candle to the Susvara. If I max my Jot2 volume then MJ3 is loud at 11 o’clock.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #1,821 of 3,004
Can you explain this a little more?
I am new to pre-amping in general and it seems most report improved dynamics and various tonality changes when doing so.
What are we looking for in a good pre-amp pairing?

I'm not convinced that adding an extra complex component into the chain, including a VC, connectors, cabling etc would improve the sound of a device as transparent as the MJ3 is. I have no doubt that the sound might be different, but why better?

I will try it at some point with my balanced Mac preamp -- which is around 6x the price of the MJ3, for whatever that's worth -- but IME with higher end audio a shorter chain is generally a better-sounding one, all other things being equal (active vs passive, etc).

But we hear what we hear, so maybe.

Feb 27, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #1,822 of 3,004
Just saying, if the MJ3 just pushed aside an amp as well regarded in the community like the Bliss is like it was nothing nothing and given that's like 3x the price, then it's the real deal.
Never said like it was nothing. But for the price and even sound, the Mj3 is my pick. Bliss has a nicer build and pot (click click) but in thought it smoothed things over a but. Just felt the mj3 was more analog and authentic sounding.

Feb 27, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #1,823 of 3,004
Never said like it was nothing. But for the price and even sound, the Mj3 is my pick. Bliss has a nicer build and pot (click click) but in thought it smoothed things over a but. Just felt the mj3 was more analog and authentic sounding.
Yep, Holo Audio has excellent build quality, super premium, still kind of impressive that it displace the Bliss, it's a big endorsement of this amp, and yes some sacrifices in build quality are going to be made at this price, not saying that the MJ3 is a low quality build, but as almost everything in schiit's line up, is more function over form, more practical.

Feb 27, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #1,824 of 3,004
Yep, Holo Audio has excellent build quality, super premium, still kind of impressive that it displace the Bliss, it's a big endorsement of this amp, and yes some sacrifices in build quality are going to be made at this price, not saying that the MJ3 is a low quality build, but as almost everything in schiit's line up, is more function over form, more practical.
You can just put some glitter and a “Super Hi-Fi” sticker on it. Then the MJ3 can be resold for 5 times the price as a super premium version!

Feb 27, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #1,825 of 3,004
So i'm trying the Mest MK2 on the mj3 on the 6.3 input on low gain and It's freakin awesome!! It never stop to amaze me how well the Mest MK2 scales well with Better Gear! I Don't her any annoying humming some background noise floor but a Little bit only when there isn't any music but in combo with the merason the Mest has got even more bass and soundstage It's really good!
I have used both the iem OG Mest as well as the MK2. Totally agree. On low gain, quiet and fabulous in every way!

Feb 27, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #1,826 of 3,004
Been listening for 2 days now and I’m honestly blown away, 1200 USD?? Are you serious?! This thing easily wins over the Soloist 3X GT for me, as impressive as the Burson is, the music doesn’t have much feel with it. This isn’t hype people, grab one while you can! I wouldn’t be surprised if Schiit increased the price with all the praise it’s getting along with the fact that production hasn’t been an easy task.

I’m driving 16ohm Arya Organics with it and i was very skeptical going in because their really low impedance and super sensitive, but to my surprise the MJ3 pairs very well with them…I’m more than comfortable with it on low gain around 11 o’ clock.

My initial fear was that with all the talk of it being crystal clear and detailed, it would be sharp on “already bright” hifimans. To my surprise it wasn’t, it delivers a treble that’s so articulate and refined, it’s never sibilant unless maybe a record is poorly mixed. I’ve yet to experience any sibilance atleast with the organics. More to come, just wanted to drop some quick thoughts.
Arya aren't bright.

Feb 27, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #1,827 of 3,004
Arya aren't bright.
The organics can be depending on the set up, and i meant hifimans in general, it’s something that’s been said about the hifiman brand for quite some time now, surely its nothing new.

Feb 27, 2024 at 7:42 PM Post #1,828 of 3,004
The organics can be depending on the set up, and i meant hifimans in general, it’s something that’s been said about the hifiman brand for quite some time now, surely its nothing new.
Question, if I find the treble on the DT880 600ohm soothing(after some little EQ of course, specifically in the 8khz region) will I find Hifiman's take on treble good also?

Feb 27, 2024 at 8:40 PM Post #1,829 of 3,004
Question, if I find the treble on the DT880 600ohm soothing(after some little EQ of course, specifically in the 8khz region) will I find Hifiman's take on treble good also?
I have limited experience with beyer cans, I’ve only ever heard the dt1990 and i thought the treble (around the same 8k region) was extremely harsh, back then i drove my cans with a thx 789. Id imagine the MJ3 handling that region alot better, but beyers are known to be hot, i just dont know how much hotter than hifimans. All i can say is that the dt1990 was way hotter than any hifiman I’ve heard.

Feb 27, 2024 at 8:49 PM Post #1,830 of 3,004
Hifman he1000 stealth's treble rivals staxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back