Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Feb 22, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #1,592 of 3,084
@orkney Thanks! Which flavor of the Yggy are you pairing it with?

GS / Unison. I've also had the "More is Better" version but ended up sticking with the GS. Speakerwise I use a few different DACs.

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #1,593 of 3,084
GS / Unison. I've also had the "More is Better" version but ended up sticking with the GS. Speakerwise I use a few different DACs.
Considering that the Yggy+ GS2 is currently available for a fraction of what MIB costs, I'm curious what the GS did in your setup that the MIB wasn't able to?
** 100% subjective question, but I'm curious **
:beerchug:

Feb 22, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #1,595 of 3,084
re: Rag2 vs. Mj3, I had just bought a Rag 2 a couple of months back to upgrade from my Jot 2, and a friend made me borrow his MJ3 for a week. I was resistant because I just bought the Rag and was not looking for another solid state amp. I spent about a week with that MJ3 and as I was packing it up to return it, I ordered one from Schiit. It reminds me of a good tube amp in resolution, and was that much of an upgrade in sound vs. the Rag.

The Rag 2 is a more relaxed, warmer and thicker/weightier. The MJ3 was a definitely level up in detail and resolution. The amount of musical information it conveys is so much richer. I'd say the Rag 2 is closer in performance to the Jot 2 than it is the MJ3.

Feb 22, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #1,596 of 3,084
re: Rag2 vs. Mj3, I had just bought a Rag 2 a couple of months back to upgrade from my Jot 2, and a friend made me borrow his MJ3 for a week. I was resistant because I just bought the Rag and was not looking for another solid state amp. I spent about a week with that MJ3 and as I was packing it up to return it, I ordered one from Schiit. It reminds me of a good tube amp in resolution, and was that much of an upgrade in sound vs. the Rag.

The Rag 2 is a more relaxed, warmer and thicker/weightier. The MJ3 was a definitely level up in detail and resolution. The amount of musical information it conveys is so much richer. I'd say the Rag 2 is closer in performance to the Jot 2 than it is the MJ3.
Do you find the MJ3 a touch bright at all?

Feb 22, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #1,598 of 3,084
I never used a preamp and i'm curios on how It can affect the Mjolnir 3 sound especially the tubes One if anyone can give me a feedback on the freya or others tube preamp and how they pair with the Mjolnir 3 It would be awesome! I would use It only for the headphones and i was wondering If it makes sense or Is It overkill.
thanks

Feb 22, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #1,599 of 3,084
I never used a preamp and i'm curios on how It can affect the Mjolnir 3 sound especially the tubes One if anyone can give me a feedback on the freya or others tube preamp and how they pair with the Mjolnir 3 It would be awesome! I would use It only for the headphones and i was wondering If it makes sense or Is It overkill.
thanks
I want to piggyback off this with-
Mjolnir3 outputs 1w @ 300ohm. What would it output @ 300ohm if I put my K9 Pro as pre-amp (which outputs 2.2w @ 300 ohm) ? Whats the maths?

Feb 22, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #1,600 of 3,084
I want to piggyback off this with-
Mjolnir3 outputs 1w @ 300ohm. What would it output @ 300ohm if I put my K9 Pro as pre-amp (which outputs 2.2w @ 300 ohm) ? Whats the maths?
I’m new at this hobby as well. From what I read, I believe the max output is maxed out. Preamping isn’t going to give you more wattage but change the audio to give a clearer signal so you hear it better.

And from Schiit’s website, the output watt is NOT treated all equally. Many amps are inefficient and so they only utilize a fraction of the max output. Supposedly MJ3 is very efficient. So much so that it drives the Susvara very well despite being a fraction of other powerful amps.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #1,602 of 3,084
Also, I'm positive I read Jason saying that MJ3 puts out more power at weird impedances, and puts out 4-5 watts at 60ohm which is another reason it drives Susvara so well. Good luck finding it in the thread tho. Schiit happened is a monster thread.
Wait a second, stop everything.

What are you talking about?

Feb 22, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #1,603 of 3,084
Also, I'm positive I read Jason saying that MJ3 puts out more power at weird impedances, and puts out 4-5 watts at 60ohm which is another reason it drives Susvara so well. Good luck finding it in the thread tho. Schiit happened is a monster thread.
i do love that thread lol. almost 10k pages now.

So, what I need is what it's effective wattage is @ 135ohm and 155ohm (Tungstens).

Feb 22, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #1,604 of 3,084
Wait a second, stop everything.

What are you talking about?
After I posted that I decided to start actively searching for the post, but I don't think I'm gonna find it in a thread that large. I coulda dreamt it up, but I remember a post like this being made.
In hindsight, it is kinda weird no one else has ever brought it up 🤔

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #1,605 of 3,084
After I posted that I decided to start actively searching for the post, but I don't think I'm gonna find it in a thread that large. I coulda dreamt it up, but I remember a post like this being made.
In hindsight, it is kinda weird no one else has ever brought it up 🤔
I think you were onto something.
There's no way those posted numbers can be right. 1w @ 300ohm? 2w @ 32ohm?
Then how does it power Susvara? How would it ever have a chance with Tungsten?

It's gotta be higher than that; at least effectively higher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back