Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Feb 20, 2024 at 12:53 AM Post #1,531 of 3,004

Ever since I got my MJ3 during the first batch, I have exclusively used high gain/SE Class A/No Feedback. I briefly tried the Push Pull at the time and didn't gravitate to it. I found it had a more deliberate presentation and felt the SE Class A was more to my liking as it was more relaxed yet resolving, just more natural sounding.

After reading so many people have been preferring the Push Pull, I decided to give it a another try recently. This time around using a variety of songs, I think I am starting to dig the Push Pull (PP). In comparison, I find the PP presentation to provide more textures and contrasts in the details. There is also more emphasized decay on the trailing vocals. Overall I hear a slightly more vivid performance, more pizzaz/energy, I guess that's why I recalled me saying PP sounds more deliberate in the delivery. Definitely nice to have this option to switch it up a bit when the mood changes.

Another reason why the MJ3 is a great amp, it's so versatile and accommodating with different gear and preferences.

[/HEADING]
[HEADING=3]mekap

100+ Head-Fier​

JoinedJun 13, 2022Posts342Likes458LocationAlmaty
The only difference I could say for sure was that the sound on the Bifrost was definitely smoother so I can see myself getting less fatigued on long listening sessions.

What's interesting for me, though, is that we're talking about > $100 DAC vs. an $800 DAC. So, I was expecting more holographical imaging and wider soundstage as Bifrost is known for when compared against delta sigma DACs.

I'm going to be spending more time listening to the Bifrost only, and we'll see if my impression changes.
Are you listening to Bifrost 2/64 in NOS mode?

When I switch the Bifrost 2/64 to NOS mode, I hear the stage become wider and hear the clear placement of musical instruments on the stage, the sound becomes more spacious, as if there is a stage in front of you on which the musicians are playing.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------^---------------------
added post
with the chat about Mjolnir switchable modes, I've switched to PP mode, and I've placed the Bifrost in NOS mode. powered off the Urd. ML31 CD transport with SPIDF to Bifrost. The 1.5M Cardas Lightening SPIDF cable is about 30 years old and is well broken in with all the atoms properly aligned within the directional cable. This particular Bifrost was powered up somewhere around Dec 7 and has been left powered up 24/7 since, for consistent operating temperature. The Bifrost, Freya, and Mjolnir are connected with 30YO Cardas XLR interconnects 1.5M as well. Nice thing about well burned in cables is no thought about them is necessary. Been listening to a handful of CD's over and over, and switching the modes on Mjolnir, but sticking with PP, leaving the Freya+ in tube gain, now switching Bifrost264 to NOS...will leave the settings alone, set and forget..been some audible variation..nothing sounding bad..always sounding like music..but more enjoyable music from familiar discs

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 1:26 AM Post #1,532 of 3,004
There are different ways to set up tube amps, so every amp will be slightly different, usually in how strong the 2nd and 3rd order harmonics are, which gives that "warm" or "rich" sound they are known for.
It's also possible to design a solid state amp to behave like a tube amp, such as the Jotunheim 2 and Magni Piety.
I bet it'd be pretty damn cool to hang out with you in your listening room for a day.

Feb 20, 2024 at 3:16 AM Post #1,536 of 3,004
I have it stacked on top of a yggdrasil. I find that yggy kind of acts like a heatsink, and makes Mj3 feel cooler to the touch. 😂
that's hilarious

Feb 20, 2024 at 3:18 AM Post #1,537 of 3,004
Oh cool, I just picked up an Yggy from the classifieds today. Was wondering whether to put some feet/blocks in between them or try a rack.
congrats

Feb 20, 2024 at 3:24 AM Post #1,538 of 3,004
So far no mini campfire made out of the wood Geshelli yet…

Attachments

• IMG_3801.jpeg
    IMG_3801.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Feb 20, 2024 at 7:28 AM Post #1,539 of 3,004
My gain switch is exact same way. Left channel doesn’t bump unless I give it some play. I ordered mine early release date and have had it since. Only started a couple months in. Unfortunately I’ve heard about this issue a lot recently on various Schiit amps from Magni to Asgard 3 to MJ3.

I’m waiting a bit to send it in for repair, because I have some people who want to hear it early next month. Who knows when it will get back here to NJ from CA.

Guess I should turn it on and test out my other two switches, normally just keep those down.

The toggle switch looks like the same as in most Schiit products, robust... Schiit will check the whole unit again after the unit returned to their works.

Feb 20, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #1,540 of 3,004
I have it stacked on top of a yggdrasil. I find that yggy kind of acts like a heatsink, and makes Mj3 feel cooler to the touch. 😂

That's my plan. Then our cat will stack on top of the MJ3.

Feb 20, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #1,541 of 3,004
I tried it at a recent meet with my MJ3 and didn't care for the single sided version. Something weird was going on with the treble or something. I didn't get a chance to try it on anything else. Some of the the other guys were saying it sounded really good on the Wells Milo and Ragnarok 2.
Did it drive it well tho?, disregarding the fact that you didn't like how it sounded

Feb 20, 2024 at 11:19 PM Post #1,542 of 3,004
Did it drive it well tho?, disregarding the fact that you didn't like how it sounded
Never said I didn't like it. I just didn't care for the pairing with the MJ3. Like I could get OK volume with MJ3 in high gain, but something else in the sound was off probably due to the amp not having enough to really drive it properly and that's not me judging the sound signature.

Feb 20, 2024 at 11:23 PM Post #1,543 of 3,004
Yeah Im a little bit sad to hear that. If I keep hearing it Im going to have to switch up my Mjolnir3 plans and instead snag a ragnarok or Aune s17 instead. Jury still out on the Aune, too.
Ragnarok handles tf out of it.

Jason' end of 2023/2024 preview youtube video answered the "can Mjonir3 drive tungsten" with, "Maybe, but, why not just get Ragnarok?"
Well, bc IF Mj3 could handle it I kinda want that old school class-A , full choked beast. And I don't have speakers so I wouldnt even being utilizing the Ragnarok fully in a way. And it costs more.

On paper MJ3 puts out 10% less watts than my Fiio K9 Pro , so, that seems like it might not be enough- again, on paper.
Maybe it makes up for it's lower wattage numbers with high current and voltage figures, idk. Hell, I'm not an engineer.

But I WANT to love it. I want to pair silver Mjonir3 with a silver Yggy+GS2 and some brushed aluminum Tungstens. That's already more than I would normally spend , but, I'm gonna make a go of it. I don't need any PC upgrades this year since RTX 4090 is ridiculously powerful lol.

#iNeed

image_2024-02-20_223123283.png

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #1,544 of 3,004
Well at 32Ohm the MJ3 puts out only 2W while Jot2 puts out 6W and Rag puts out 24W. So my inexpensive Jot2 can drive things pretty well. Whether they sound good or not is to be seen.

Feb 20, 2024 at 11:44 PM Post #1,545 of 3,004
Yeah Im a little bit sad to hear that. If I keep hearing it Im going to have to switch up my Mjolnir3 plans and instead snag a ragnarok or Aune s17 instead. Jury still out on the Aune, too.
Ragnarok handles tf out of it.

Jason' end of 2023/2024 preview youtube video answered the "can Mjonir3 drive tungsten" with, "Maybe, but, why not just get Ragnarok?"
Well, bc IF Mj3 could handle it I kinda want that old school class-A , full choked beast. And I don't have speakers so I wouldnt even being utilizing the Ragnarok fully in a way. And it costs more.

On paper MJ3 puts out 10% less watts than my Fiio K9 Pro , so, that seems like it might not be enough- again, on paper.
Maybe it makes up for it's lower wattage numbers with high current and voltage figures, idk. Hell, I'm not an engineer.

But I WANT to love it. I want to pair silver Mjonir3 with a silver Yggy+GS2 and some brushed aluminum Tungstens. That's already more than I would normally spend , but, I'm gonna make a go of it. I don't need any PC upgrades this year since RTX 4090 is ridiculously powerful lol.

#iNeed

image_2024-02-20_223123283.png
Have you tried any ZMF Headphones? Highly recommend trying a Auteur Classic or Caldera with the MJ3 and Yggy+ GS2 (That's what I currently have also).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back