Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Feb 19, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #1,516 of 3,082
Unfortunately, I think my Mjolnir is going to need to go back to Schiit for repair due to two switches: the gain switch and SE/PP switch.

The gain switch doesn't always toggle the left channel, so I have to push the switch over and away from the volume knob to get the left channel to fully kick into high gain. If I wiggle the gain switch when in the "up" position, the left channel's gain goes up and down and I can hear a relay clicking on the inside.

The PP switch also causes a relay to click on the inside if wiggled when in the up position, although because the effect is so subtle, it's difficult to hear whether the left channel is being similarly affected--but I assume so.

The feedback switch seems to work just fine.
My gain switch is exact same way. Left channel doesn’t bump unless I give it some play. I’m waiting a bit to send it in, because I have some people who want to hear it early next month and who knows when it will get back here. Unfortunately I’ve heard about this issue a lot recently on various Schiit amps from magni to Asgard 3 to MJ3.
Well for ef's sake...

Feb 19, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #1,517 of 3,082
Anybody with a MJ3 here rocking Modhouse Tungstens? If so, how is it fairing?

I know I read about in here somewhere but have slept too many times since then.

Feb 19, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #1,518 of 3,082

I tried it at a recent meet with my MJ3 and didn't care for the single sided version. Something weird was going on with the treble or something. I didn't get a chance to try it on anything else. Some of the the other guys were saying it sounded really good on the Wells Milo and Ragnarok 2.

Feb 19, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #1,519 of 3,082
I tried it at a recent meet with my MJ3 and didn't care for the single sided version. Something weird was going on with the treble or something. I didn't get a chance to try it on anything else. Some of the the other guys were saying it sounded really good on the Wells Milo and Ragnarok 2.
Thanks for the reply.

I do remember Jason saying (between sips of wine) that if you are getting Tungsten just get the Ragnarok.
But me being the kinda contrarian that i guess i am, i'm resistant to the thought of MJ3 not being a good match for Tungsten lol.
For some damn reason lulz.
I guess I was hoping for someone to say "thats Hogwash!"

Feb 19, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #1,520 of 3,082

I run it on my Mj3 and Jot2. Tuning wise it's fine but lacks dynamics or punch. Could be a synergy problem idk. I've yet to hear a setup where it blows me away tho.
No issues with volume. High gain about 3 on the dial is as loud as I'll go with it.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #1,521 of 3,082
I run it on my Mj3 and Jot2. Tuning wise it's fine but lacks dynamics or punch. Could be a synergy problem idk. I've yet to hear a setup where it blows me away tho.
No issues with volume. High gain about 3 on the dual is as loud as I'll go with it.
interesting. Is yours a SS or DS?

Feb 19, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #1,523 of 3,082
Feb 19, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #1,524 of 3,082
Has anyone received a shipping notification this week?? A full week with no new shipping notifications??

I got mine, at last.

Not in the silver I ordered it in, but honestly that's a coin flip for me since my other gear is black liveried Yggy, Electrocompaniet and Mac tubes, so either black or silver is fine by me. Looking forward to having a listen when I get a chance.

Feb 19, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #1,525 of 3,082
I got mine, at last.

Not in the silver I ordered it in, but honestly that's a coin flip for me since my other gear is black liveried Yggy, Electrocompaniet and Mac tubes, so either black or silver is fine by me. Looking forward to having a listen when I get a chance.
Schiit sent you black when you ordered silver?

Feb 19, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #1,526 of 3,082
Schiit sent you black when you ordered silver?

Looks like it. Looks like I wasn't charged for silver -- order never got updated I guess.

I get the sense that this parts backlog has affected the smooth running of Schiit HQ. Package is already en route with FedEx so not much I can do at this point but will follow up with an email.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #1,527 of 3,082
Looks like it. Looks like I wasn't charged for silver -- order never got updated I guess.

I get the sense that this parts backlog has affected the smooth running of Schiit HQ. Package is already en route with FedEx so not much I can do at this point but will follow up with an email.
May have done you a solid if your YGGY is already black.

Feb 19, 2024 at 9:12 PM Post #1,528 of 3,082
How does one go about hooking their HP to speaker outlets? Some of these planars may need more power than usual. FYI MJ3 can drive speakers so can’t I just use the RCA output to drive the tungsten?

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #1,529 of 3,082
How does one go about hooking their HP to speaker outlets? Some of these planars may need more power than usual. FYI MJ3 can drive speakers so can’t I just use the RCA output to drive the tungsten?
MJ3 can not drive speakers, it can supply signal to active speakers (ones with internal amplifiers). The outputs on the back of the MJ3 are just preamplifier level signal. It needs an actual speaker amp in the chain to drive passive speakers.

Feb 19, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #1,530 of 3,082
Unfortunately, I think my Mjolnir is going to need to go back to Schiit for repair due to two switches: the gain switch and SE/PP switch.

The gain switch doesn't always toggle the left channel, so I have to push the switch over and away from the volume knob to get the left channel to fully kick into high gain. If I wiggle the gain switch when in the "up" position, the left channel's gain goes up and down and I can hear a relay clicking on the inside.

The PP switch also causes a relay to click on the inside if wiggled when in the up position, although because the effect is so subtle, it's difficult to hear whether the left channel is being similarly affected--but I assume so.

The feedback switch seems to work just fine.
Hey @AlexMartin is this something that is being addressed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back