Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Dec 5, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #721 of 3,012
For those who have their MJ3 in between their DAC and preamplifier, do you have any impressions on how it sounds using loudspeakers?
have to admit not sure why to do this. their is a post previous indicates tube buffering from Freya+, but i'm not there yet. MJ3 currently is the preamp and it is strong as such. perhaps tube buffering mellows that strongness?

Dec 5, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #722 of 3,012
have to admit not sure why to do this. their is a post previous indicates tube buffering from Freya+, but i'm not there yet. MJ3 currently is the preamp and it is strong as such. perhaps tube buffering mellows that strongness?
I have my Jot2 in line between the DAC and preamp so that I can use it for headphones and attenuate the gain before it reaches my preamp And sensitive loudspeakers. I am just curious if anyone who has this configuration with an MJ3 can comment on if it affects that chain sonically.

I have to admit I am surprised having a headphone amp in line before a preamp is not common. There is a switch on the Jot3 to cut the RCA and XLR output…isn’t this what the output on these units are built for?

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #723 of 3,012
post #654 has Freya with volume full open into the MJ3, as buffer. curious to me. opposite to your set up.
i'm using the switch RCA/XLR for Phono stage/DAC.
i could set up like this, by skipping the speaker amp. otherwise I need anothe set of XLR interconnects

Dec 6, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #726 of 3,012
I have my Jot3 in line between the DAC and preamp so that I can use it for headphones and attenuate the gain before it reaches my preamp And sensitive loudspeakers. I am just curious if anyone who has this configuration with an MJ3 can comment on if it affects that chain sonically.

I have to admit I am surprised having a headphone amp in line before a preamp is not common. There is a switch on the Jot3 to cut the RCA and XLR output…isn’t this what the output on these units are built for?
Jotunheim 2 or 3?
3 would be news.

Dec 6, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #727 of 3,012
My tubed Mjolnir 2 is still my favorite headphone amp. sentinel miniatures When I compared it to the summit-fi HeadAmp GS-X mk2, you could hear some very slight differences that I think were only there because of the tubes. crypto poker online I bet the Mjolnir 3 will be indistinguishable from that $3k amp. Very excited for folks to get their hands on it, although I think it's still shameful that Schiit doesn't have a high-end tubed headphone amp.
It's fantastic to hear your enthusiasm for the Mjolnir 2, and your anticipation for the Mjolnir 3 is contagious!

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #729 of 3,012
Today I contacted Schiit regarding something and while I’m at it, I asked about the MJ3.

“I'm sorry for the delay Mjolnir3 orders are due to ship by next week.”
They are very busy and work hard on assembly, testing, burn in test .... packing, logistics ....

Dec 7, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #733 of 3,012
I sadly havent. Checking every day since middle of Oktober.
I think Shiit has there prioritys set on there american customers.
I cant blame them, I would too if I was them, but it sure sucks for us.

I guess, due to high numbers of order, they ship one voltage at a time, less chance to make a mistake, the status is 3-5 days, most likely all will be out this Friday or early next week ... however, Fedex logistic is another problem with such a large amount at a time, and do not forget the normal products and the last call products .....

I knew some 230V order got billed to their credit card a short while ago.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #734 of 3,012
Impressions from last night: I agree with previous reviews of 'hear the room', it really felt like I was in the room on some tracks. Everyone says upgrade the headphones, then the chain, I went the other way about it. MJ3 has really elevated my LCD-2C, not by a just a bit, but like a different headphone all together. The highs and details that were missing on the G111 MK2 are now very present. I enjoyed my previous setup, but now am enjoying the 'wow' all over again. Muddy Waters was like closing your eyes and being there:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back