Schiit Mjolnir 2 vs. Bryston BHA-1?
Jul 8, 2018 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Nicholas Seltzer

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,
I currently own a Schiit Mjolnir 2 w/ LISST and three sets of tubes. My headphone line up is a pair of LCD-3s and HD-800s.

I've never really been mesmerized by it and am looking to upgrade. I really, really loved the Ragnarok but I'm sort of holding off on that for a while until a new model ever comes out. In the meantime, I'm thinking to sell my Mjolnir and get something which can be had for not too much more than I'd get for it.

Because I really like my Bryston BP-17 and my fiancee likes the appearance of the BHA-1, I'm thinking this could be a good choice. However, I can't seem to find any direct comparisons between the two devices.

Could any of you with experience of these two headphone amps (or just the Bryston) please share you impressions and opinions with me?

Thanks so much.
Nick

Jul 8, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 4
For that kind of money, you can get the Mjolnir Audio Pure BiPolar. It's almost a no brainer I think.

https://mjolnir-audio.com/product-selection/

Fully balanced pure class A solid state amp, also compatible with single ended sources since it converts them to balanced using Nelson Pass's "super symmetry" design. So it's a combo of Kevin Gilmore and Birgir Gudjonsson's designs with inspiration from Nelson Pass, it does not get any better than that. One of the most transparent and flawless headphone amps money can buy. It outclasses headphone amps that cost 2x-5x.

The only reason it's 'almost' a no brainer is because HeadAmp is planning to release a GS-1 Mk2 this year that might be the same thing but for less money, we'll have to see. Either one will be a very real upgrade to the Mjolnir 2, no doubt.

Jul 8, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #3 of 4
For that kind of money, you can get the Mjolnir Audio Pure BiPolar. It's almost a no brainer I think.

https://mjolnir-audio.com/product-selection/

Fully balanced pure class A solid state amp, also compatible with single ended sources since it converts them to balanced using Nelson Pass's "super symmetry" design. So it's a combo of Kevin Gilmore and Birgir Gudjonsson's designs with inspiration from Nelson Pass, it does not get any better than that. One of the most transparent and flawless headphone amps money can buy. It outclasses headphone amps that cost 2x-5x.

The only reason it's 'almost' a no brainer is because HeadAmp is planning to release a GS-1 Mk2 this year that might be the same thing but for less money, we'll have to see. Either one will be a very real upgrade to the Mjolnir 2, no doubt.

Thanks for the tip, man.

Jul 8, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #4 of 4
BHA-1s are routinely available used. I will tell you from my first hand experience, the BHA-1 bests these amps-CIAUDIO VHP-2, Schiit Vali 1 & 2, Benchmark DAC 2 & 3, PSAUDIO GCHA. I am not going to get into audiophile speak here as I am too tired at the moment. I don't think you'd regret it if you went with one. All the hallmarks of the Bryston build and sound, plus a 20 year warranty!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back