Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Oct 28, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #556 of 6,945

Enabler

Yes, but I'm getting paid to do it. 
tongue.gif

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #557 of 6,945
What would you consider a decent usb bridge after your research?

The Hydra Z is excellent, so is the Gustard U12, Audio Breeze DU-U8 are outstanding too.  I'll post my shootout rankings and comments after trying one more USB bridge that has my interest.  BTW had the iDAC2 - not very good.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/736294/gustard-u12-usb-interface-8-core-xmos-chip

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #558 of 6,945
  I went with mjo2 and GUMBY and ended up adding Wyrd to eliminate usb problems. Well, I did solve the usb problem without the Wyrd but I liked what the Wyrd did for the sound that I kept it anyway. 

After I'm done with the USB bridge shootout I'm going to do one on these USB gizmos - I have a Regen coming, will get a Wryd (heard good things about it), I have the Audioquest jitterbug - nice improvement - and for $49 heck.  And will think about the new iUSB 3.0 - but at $400 it's getting out of my budget.  Also have two different linear power supplies for the Regen (it apparently responds well to a good LPS), the TeraDak X1 and the better TeraDak R-core SB30W.  And will test on the USB bridges to see which respond the best to each (starting to get as complex a review as my 17 - 6922 tube review
eek.gif
)

BTW I'm a big R2R DAC fan - the GUMBY and YGGY are outstanding technology - got to hand it to those tricky Sch**t folks.
beerchug.gif

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #559 of 6,945
Nov 5, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #561 of 6,945
I would like to know as well. I am trying to decide between the two.

I've had a chance to listen to the Taurus MkII on a number of occasions, at shows and at my local dealer.  I currently own the MJ2, am running it with '74 Reflektors.

I really like the Taurus - to my ears it has a slightly fuller sound than the MJ2, punchier, more impactful low end.  That punch comes at the expense of absolute transparency and 3D soundstage, however.  MJ2 is more *whoa* detailed overall.  I "fill in" the MJ2 low end with a vintage McIntosh preamp with EQ, when needed.  

Two specific tracks that highlight the Taurus low end are 1) Toto's "Without Your Love" - the beginning hits as well as 2) the double drum beat at the beginning of Hotel California.  This isn't to say the MJ2 is lacking, but that the Taurus's impact is eye opening on both LCD-X and Senn HD800, driven balanced.  The Taurus also exhibits a distinct sound character balanced output vs. SE.  It's weird, google other reviews.  

(FWIW the GSX-MkII has greater transparency and equal bass impact vs. the Taurus, but costs ~$1k more.  Money no object, I'd go for the GSX, but then you're in Rag territory...  little more you're in Liquid Gold territory.  never ends)

Ultimately I bought the MJ2 b/c 1) it's more detailed than the Taurus 2) is much cheaper 3) can tube roll and 4) 'merica!  Also, Aurelic service reputation is ok/spotty vs. Schiit's stellar rep.   

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #562 of 6,945

I would like to know as well. I am trying to decide between the two.

I've had a chance to listen to the Taurus MkII on a number of occasions, at shows and at my local dealer.  I currently own the MJ2, am running it with '74 Reflektors.

I really like the Taurus - to my ears it has a slightly fuller sound than the MJ2, punchier, more impactful low end.  That punch comes at the expense of absolute transparency and 3D soundstage, however.  MJ2 is more *whoa* detailed overall.  I "fill in" the MJ2 low end with a vintage McIntosh preamp with EQ, when needed.  

Two specific tracks that highlight the Taurus low end are 1) Toto's "Without Your Love" - the beginning hits as well as 2) the double drum beat at the beginning of Hotel California.  This isn't to say the MJ2 is lacking, but that the Taurus's impact is eye opening on both LCD-X and Senn HD800, driven balanced.  The Taurus also exhibits a distinct sound character balanced output vs. SE.  It's weird, google other reviews.  

(FWIW the GSX-MkII has greater transparency and equal bass impact vs. the Taurus, but costs ~$1k more.  Money no object, I'd go for the GSX, but then you're in Rag territory...  little more you're in Liquid Gold territory.  never ends)

Ultimately I bought the MJ2 b/c 1) it's more detailed than the Taurus 2) is much cheaper 3) can tube roll and 4) 'merica!  Also, Aurelic service reputation is ok/spotty vs. Schiit's stellar rep.   

Just got a pair of 74 Reflectors as well for the MJ2.   Very, very nice!   Got to make you wonder about the 75's  
blink.gif

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #563 of 6,945
Just got a pair of 74 Reflectors as well for the MJ2.   Very, very nice!   Got to make you wonder about the 75's  
blink.gif

Ah speaking of tubes, this reminded me...  for those interested in that ifi NOS 6922 Valve Replacement Set... here is Avatar's contact info:

You can purchase directly from us. All I need to get you on our wait list is a shipping/billing address.

The tube set is going to retail for $129 + Shipping.

Once I have your address, I will get you down on our wait list to have a set sent out as soon as they are available!

All the best,

James Haner
Director, Sales & Social Media
545 Wentworth Court
Fayetteville, GA 30215
(678)-817-0573
sales@avataracoustics.com
www.avataracoustics.com

Someone go get 'em!  Tell us how they sound!  
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #565 of 6,945
Nov 6, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #567 of 6,945
I'm thinking of gradually assembling a Gumby-Mjolnir 2 combo to power some Audezes, but want to take it one step at a time. Aside from eased financial strains, it would allow me to truly appreciate the margin of upgrade for each component acquired. As I'm looking to get the Mojo it seems my first choice should be to get Mjolnir 2 because Mojo can be used as a DAC to line out to MJ2 but if I get Gumby first I can't bypass the Mojo's DAC. What I worry about though is the discrepancy in burn-in this will result in. My MJ2 would be burned in for months before a fresh Gumby is added to the stack, and if I proceed to use them together the Gumby would always be behind. Would this be a problem? Should I acquire and use both from the get-go? 

Nov 6, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #569 of 6,945
Hi guys. I just bought the Mjolnir2 and Gungnir Multibit. I pair it with Sennheiser HD800 with balanced cable CH 800 S. It really sound very revealing and honest. Sound stage is much wider but I think a little bit recessed somewhere in the 500hz to my ear. Not sure if it is really recessed since I really dont have a proper way to measure it. It sounds fatiguing on the HD800 for long session. I think it is because the whole setup is just reavealing from DAC->Headphone Amp->Headphone. But the clarity is just blows away my Sennheiser HDVD800 and Centrance HiFi M8. I think I will mod my headphone to make it listenable to a long sessions (I will try the mod from InnerFidelity). I would not recommend HDVD800 btw since it have a low frequency popping noise when the sound fades out. Sorry for the off topic a bit I will post a new thread about it when my account get unlocked. 

For the price Schiit Mjolnir2 and Gungnir combo is a really good buy for the price. I just wish the units are a little bit narrower but I can get over it since it gives me the sound quality I want. I am using the stock tube btw. 

Nov 7, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #570 of 6,945
Ha! I got all of you beat - got my MJ2, both 74 and 75 Reflektors, but no Ether C yet!

However, as I've posted previously, my Laylas are doing just fine as a reference headphone. My notes on comparing the 75 to 74 are:

1. Bass seems a bit tighter and faster with the 75. Keep in mind that I'm listening to BA drivers in the Laylas so this is probably exaggerated compared to dynamic or planar drivers. Just a slight edge to the 75.
  2. Mids - a little more warmth than 74. But it's a different kind of warmth. It's most notable with acoustic guitar and piano. I think it may have more to do with the micro details of the sustained resonance of the strings and not an overall warmth to the tone. I find vocals to be pretty much identical between 74 and 75. Maybe the right way to describe it is more warmth but without added weight?
  3. Highs -  Amazing amount of details. Had I never listened to the 75, I would have been perfectly happy with the 74. I don't believe the 75 adds more detail or extension. Rather, it sounds to me just a cleaner version of the 74 so the details just present better with more separation. This equates to more detail without added harshness or grain. It reminds me of looking through a spotless piece of glass versus a spotless piece of crystal. You would never know there was a loss of light looking through glass until you compared it to crystal.

So, the big question is do I find the upgrade to 75 worth it? I have to give a qualified "yes". If you have access to the 75 then it's absolutely worth it. However, I would not obsess about it if you have the 74 and are having a hard time finding the 75. You would also need a really resolving DAC and headphones to hear the differences. I really wish I didn't say what I just did....A very bad thought has come to mind - I wonder how the Yggy would sound as a source instead of my Gumby. Damn it!! Seriously, I'm sure I would be blown away, but back to my earlier point, I wouldn't know I was missing out on anything until I listened to the Yggy.

I'll have more to report back when my Ethers finally arrive and get burned in. I tell you what, it's no fun getting the Gumby, warming it up and burning it in, getting the MJ2 after all that and doing another burn in, plus tube burn in, then getting Ethers and burning those in. Really should have just gotten everything all at once!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back