Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Sep 11, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #286 of 6,973
Thanks to everyone for the replies re: balanced vs single-ended. I've updated my endgame setup plans to Gungnir Multibit > Mjolnir 2 > LCD-3. I'll be keeping the Fostex single-ended for general use around the house, especially in the home theater (they do an awesome job with movies and games). Though the LCD-3 will set me back a bit, I have no doubt that they'll be worth the cost. I'm looking forward to the peace of mind knowing that I have a proper endgame setup without weak links, and enjoying it for decades to come. 

Sep 11, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #287 of 6,973
Sorry for the silly question, but is it possible to connect Gumby to Mjo2 using balanced and then Mjo2 to my main hifi power amp using single ended, or does it need to be either balanced or single ended all the way along the chain?

Sep 11, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #288 of 6,973
Sorry for the silly question, but is it possible to connect Gumby to Mjo2 using balanced and then Mjo2 to my main hifi power amp using single ended, or does it need to be either balanced or single ended all the way along the chain?

Yep, that works fine. I do exactly this to connect to my powered desktop speakers.

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #290 of 6,973
Last night I was listening to the "Ultimate Demonstration Disc" from Chesky Records. And I've to tell you I was completely blown away by the track "Correnteza"  (the first minute in particular). If you've access to this album, make sure you listen to it :)

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Demonstration-Disc-Critical-Listening/dp/B00002MXUH

Edit: Added link to the album

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #292 of 6,973
  Is it normal for the Mjo2 to hum for a couple of minutes when first switched on?  The hum isn't constant, it appears for a few seconds then goes away, then it repeats.

I've heard this, too.

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #293 of 6,973
Just made a big round of upgrades.

From HD600+Magni+Modi
to HD800+M2+GMB+Telefunken 7DJ8

The result is.... I'm underwhelmed. I seem to be bothered a lot by HD800's treble rendering, I guess it's what peopled called "too bright". I hate to admit, but I really prefer my old school humble 600 setup more.

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #294 of 6,973

From HD600+Magni+Modi
to HD800+M2+MBP+Telefunken 7DJ8

The result is.... I'm underwhelmed. I seem to be bothered a lot by HD800's treble rendering, I guess it's what peopled called "too bright". I hate to admit, but I really prefer my old school humble 600 setup more.

HD800's need to be modded and cables upgraded and balanced to sound halfway decent in my experience.

Sep 11, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #296 of 6,973
I'm comparing [Gumby -> single ended -> Mjol2] and [Gumby -> balanced -> Mjol2], and after compensating for the difference in output levels, balanced does sound better IMO.  But I'm struggling to describe exactly what it is that is better about the sound with balanced.  Would it be right to describe the single ended sound as slightly more constrained, veiled and less dynamic, and the balanced sound as more projecting, floaty and breathable, particularly in the mid frequencies?

Sep 11, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #297 of 6,973
Finally ordered my Mjolnir 2 to pair with my LCD-X and Ether. I only have the stock tubes + the LISST though. I was wondering if you guys have reached a consensus on the tubes that are great with the Mjolnir 2.

Sep 11, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #298 of 6,973

From HD600+Magni+Modi
to HD800+M2+MBP+Telefunken 7DJ8

If M2 is like Lyr2, 7DJ8 tubes aren't ideal. At least that's the word I got from Schiit support when I asked about using the 7DJ8 in the Lyr2

Sep 11, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #300 of 6,973
Hi all my Ediswan CV2492 have arrived and I have plugged them in for over 35 hours now. The Ediswan have good bass with lots of impact. The mids are lush and sweet. The highs are nice and do not fatigue the ears.. The Ediswan have that good tube like lushness and good bass. They are like a lusher gold lions with out the realistic, textured detail. My led Zepplin's and uriah heep sounds great. I will use these tubes for video games and television. But I will burn in the tubes and amp for another 200 hours and see how the sound signature cures and changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back