Schiit Magni V1 volume pot
Feb 4, 2015 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

renji1337

100+ Head-Fier
Alright. my setup is Titanium HD into schiit magni (Old version)via dual rca into HE-400's.

I can't seem to get the magnis volume pot past 9 without hurting my ears, and i don't want to use the software attenuation.

What are my options, would anything change if i got one of the version 1 modis?

or should I sell off this magni and get the new magni 2 and keep the TI HD?

150$ or so is my budget to fix this without using attenuators or software volume.

Feb 4, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 12
  Alright. my setup is Titanium HD into schiit magni (Old version)via dual rca into HE-400's.

I can't seem to get the magnis volume pot past 9 without hurting my ears, and i don't want to use the software attenuation.

150$ or so is my budget to fix this without using attenuators or software volume.

Don't turn it so far? While getting the new Magni for the gain switch would be ideal, you can always just live with having to move the volume pot with tweezers. :p I'd say you should get the new magni for the gain switch.

Feb 10, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 12
Or the O2! but yeah the Attenuators, or the SYS or another brand with a passive volume control for RCA would be cheaper options.

Feb 10, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #5 of 12
  would using the sys affect the SQ at any way?  i'm debating between sys/new magni (since i might get the modi 2)

if the sys wont affect the SQ then id add a sys in

Nothing inside SYS to effect SQ.

Feb 10, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #7 of 12
I haven't noticed sound quality loss and it's not double amping. I asked people the same question. No answer. It seems like people just parrot others. And since they dont have an answer to copy, nothing to say

Im going to go on a crap shoot and say it will ever so slightly raise the Signal to noise ratio but i think you are fine as long as you don't set the sys to 5% of its output and set the magni up to past 3 oclock

Feb 10, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #8 of 12
  so how would the sys let me have more manageble volume range if someone could explain it? i'm not too well versed

Buy yourself a Schiit SYS volume control and two input switch. With that, you can lower the output of your Modi . Basically you would set the volume control on the SYS to minimum, you would then bring the gain control on your Magni up to say 12 o'clock. Then you would bring up the volume control on the SYS until you get to a comfortable listening level out of the Magni. If used this way your Magni should have a much more usable range of adjustment. 

Feb 10, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #9 of 12
I haven't noticed sound quality loss and it's not double amping. I asked people the same question. No answer. It seems like people just parrot others. And since they dont have an answer to copy, nothing to say

Im going to go on a crap shoot and say it will ever so slightly raise the Signal to noise ratio but i think you are fine as long as you don't set the sys to 5% of its output and set the magni up to past 3 oclock

Wrong....there is nothing in the SYS to raise the S/N level.  BTW  formulating an answer takes a little time for us older folks, LOL

Feb 10, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #10 of 12
  so how would the sys let me have more manageble volume range if someone could explain it? i'm not too well versed

I've sent you a PM.

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #11 of 12
Sell the Magni and get the Magni 2. Not only does the low gain switch fix this problem, but the sound of the Magni 2 is by most accounts better than the original Magni as well.

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #12 of 12

Some of us find it advantageous to run the signal from the DAC through a Schiit SYS first. This will allow you more range on your Magni.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back