Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Dec 28, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #526 of 2,252
My Magni is finally shipped.

Now the looooong wait begins
popcorn.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #527 of 2,252
Quote:
Just got mine in today. I can confirm that with my Grados I can also hear a slight bit of sound at zero volume; not that it's an issue, but just confirming.

The M&M stack out of the box is definitely brighter than Bifrost/Asgard right now and has noticeably harsher treble. I intend to do a full comparison after I've given them some burn in time, including mix-and-matching and reporting how the amps compare using the same DAC and the other way around as well. But initial impressions comparing them as a stack I would say they sound quite good for the price, but the Asgard/Bifrost has a smoother treble that goes well with the LCD-2s. I'm quite interested in seeing if that changes as I give it some more time, but for now they just seem to be a good setup at the price and not necessarily giant killers (hardly an insult, but I'm just being realistic).

From my experience with a Bifrost/Lyr combo, the sound isn't that transparent compared to an O2/ODAC (e.g. a K 702 sounded "brighter" with the O2/ODAC vs the Bifrost/Lyr but the Bifrost/Lyr sounded kind of smeared and details weren't nearly as apparent as the O2/ODAC). Maybe what you're hearing is simply how the Grado's sound and not the DAC/amp itself?

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #529 of 2,252
Quote:

Becoming accustomed to the sound is usually what causes "burn-in".

It all depends really. For me I listened to a couple favorite tracks of mine with the M&M straight out of the box and noticed that the treble was noticeably harsher than the Bifrost/Asgard (as in, first time I haven't really liked the sound of the LCD-2s, which says a lot considering how forgiving they typically are). I then put on some music and went away to watch TV for a couple hours. Now A/B-ing them with the Bifrost and Asgard I'm not confident I'll be able to tell them apart, and they've definitely lost the harsh exaggerated treble that I heard right at the start.

While I agree it's typically getting acclimated to the sound, in this case I was directly comparing it to my well-used Bifrost and Asgard and it definitely seems to have improved.

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #530 of 2,252
Quote:
From my experience with a Bifrost/Lyr combo, the sound isn't that transparent compared to an O2/ODAC (e.g. a K 702 sounded "brighter" with the O2/ODAC vs the Bifrost/Lyr but the Bifrost/Lyr sounded kind of smeared and details weren't nearly as apparent as the O2/ODAC). Maybe what you're hearing is simply how the Grado's sound and not the DAC/amp itself?

I could certainly believe it if it was just the Grados, but I mainly used them to verify the M&M were working and then switched to the LCD-2s and even they sounded harsh. Fortunately, they sound a lot better now. I'm not a big burn-in subscriber, but since I was A/B-ing them with my Bifrost and Asgard both times I'm pretty confident that something changed for the better since they went from sounding fairly different in the treble to quite similar.

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #531 of 2,252
Add me to the long list. Just ordered the Magni. I sure do get a good feeling from these people unlike some others. They respond to my questions in a real friendly way. I hope I like the Magni as well as the buying experence,

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #532 of 2,252
Quote:

It all depends really. For me I listened to a couple favorite tracks of mine with the M&M straight out of the box and noticed that the treble was noticeably harsher than the Bifrost/Asgard (as in, first time I haven't really liked the sound of the LCD-2s, which says a lot considering how forgiving they typically are). I then put on some music and went away to watch TV for a couple hours. Now A/B-ing them with the Bifrost and Asgard I'm not confident I'll be able to tell them apart, and they've definitely lost the harsh exaggerated treble that I heard right at the start.

While I agree it's typically getting acclimated to the sound, in this case I was directly comparing it to my well-used Bifrost and Asgard and it definitely seems to have improved.

Some gear does actually burn in. Voice coils in loudspeakers come to mind, which is why I used the word "usually". 
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #533 of 2,252
So what gives? Did Schiit get some bad pots or is the pot they chose to use schiit in general?

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #534 of 2,252
Quote:
Add me to the long list. Just ordered the Magni. I sure do get a good feeling from these people unlike some others. They respond to my questions in a real friendly way. I hope I like the Magni as well as the buying experence,

> Just an update they sent me a comformation email at 1;08 pm todayand a shipped email at 3;03 pm today. How's that for service? Now I'm really impressed. That's real good Schiit.

Dec 28, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #535 of 2,252
Quote:
So what gives? Did Schiit get some bad pots or is the pot they chose to use schiit in general?

Uh, I don't think there's any actual issue, but the two things reported are:
1) At zero volume there's still slight sound. Since you'd never 'listen' at zero volume it isn't exactly an issue, just sort of curious.
2) At low volume there's channel imbalance. AKA, a known general 'issue' with all potentiometers at low levels.

Dec 28, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #536 of 2,252
I think he was referring to the poster who was reporting static and cutting out of the right channel when he turned the volume pot, which clearly IS an issue.

Dec 28, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #537 of 2,252
Quote:
I think he was referring to the poster who was reporting static and cutting out of the right channel when he turned the volume pot, which clearly IS an issue.

Yep, and if you're having issues like that, let us know! We'll get you a return exchange, so you don't have to be without an amp for long.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 28, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #538 of 2,252
Quote:

Good point, and as already shown Schiit will take care of you.

Edit: I've posted my initial comparison here, more to follow: http://www.head-fi.org/t/643368/schiit-modi-and-magni-comparison-to-bifrost-and-asgard

Dec 28, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #539 of 2,252

Users who are viewing this thread

Back