Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Dec 20, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #331 of 2,252
I tested my new DT-770 Limited on the DragonFly DAC.  No issues so it must be something else in the chain when I heard the distortion running through the Magni. 

So the DAC is not shipping yet?  Glad I ordered them separately.

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #332 of 2,252
So, would i need an rca adapter if i wanted to use the he-400's on these? (don't own the he-400, so i don't know if it comes with it or not)

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #333 of 2,252
Quote:

I'm interested in the Magni because its cheap and looks nice.  I am using the c421 with my newly acquired HE-400 and it seems ok.  I have to put the c421 on high and turn the volume to ~65%.  The c421 could power my re262 nicely on low and ~40% volume, so i find it odd Hifiman saying that using a headphone jack is fine 
blink.gif
.  I'd like to hear your updated impression of the Magni vs c421 =D

I'm sorry.  I had the C421 a while ago.  From memory, the C421 had a similar tonality to the cMoy, which would make it a bit darker and warmer than the Magni.  The C421 has a noticeably bigger sound-stage.  In terms of detail or clarity, without the C421 here, I can't say.  Knowing what I know now, if I had already bought the C421, I don't think I would get the Magni.  But, my big headphone is the HD650 and I listen to mostly classical with it, so sound-stage is huge for me.  As always, nothing beats hearing something for yourself.

Dec 20, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #334 of 2,252
Quote:
So the DAC is not shipping yet?  Glad I ordered them separately.

The Modi is shipping but is currently on 5-7 days backorder. My stack went out today. I ordered on the 13th.

Dec 20, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #335 of 2,252
Quote:
I've been comparing the objective combo vs the schiit stack for the past couple hours using he-400.  They're very near each other in performance.  I'd get the schiit stack because it's cheaper and looks better.

Does "very near in performance" mean measured performance, or "ear" performance?

I would assume that the Objective equipment would measure better, overall, but if switching back and forth reveals no obvious problems (high noise, missing treble, bass roll off, channel balance, whatever), the Schiit is probably "good nuff".

Can you qualify your impressions in any more detail?

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #336 of 2,252
Ordered the stack on the 13th and got my shipping notice today; planning on getting some good comparison time in with the Bifrost/Asgard over the holiday.

Same same, I'll be comparing with my O2/ODAC combi unit.

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #337 of 2,252
Quote:
Does "very near in performance" mean measured performance, or "ear" performance?

He did specifically mention that he'd been comparing them with the HE-400, so "ear" performance sounds about right.

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #338 of 2,252
Quote:
Quote:
I've been comparing the objective combo vs the schiit stack for the past couple hours using he-400.  They're very near each other in performance.  I'd get the schiit stack because it's cheaper and looks better.

I would assume that the Objective equipment would measure better, overall, but if switching back and forth reveals no obvious problems (high noise, missing treble, bass roll off, channel balance, whatever), the Schiit is probably "good nuff".

Can you qualify your impressions in any more detail?

How common is it to find someone with audio measuring gear?

I might pick up a Magni for myself, but I like the O2's battery power mode which makes it transportable and easy to bring along with me to school.

Dec 20, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #340 of 2,252
Has somebody tried the DT880/600ohm with the Magni???? The Beyers are in the mail, and I have the Audioengine D1, and I'm sure it's amp won't be enough for the Beyers so I want to get the Magni, but then I've been reading that the Magni is bright so it might not pair well with the Beyers... damn

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #341 of 2,252
Quote:
I'm sorry.  I had the C421 a while ago.  From memory, the C421 had a similar tonality to the cMoy, which would make it a bit darker and warmer than the Magni.  The C421 has a noticeably bigger sound-stage.  In terms of detail or clarity, without the C421 here, I can't say.  Knowing what I know now, if I had already bought the C421, I don't think I would get the Magni.  But, my big headphone is the HD650 and I listen to mostly classical with it, so sound-stage is huge for me.  As always, nothing beats hearing something for yourself.

Cool, i found that the c421 needs high using iPhone and LOD.  When used with my laptop via usb dac i could use it on low.  I think the c421 is sufficient, wont be getting Magni (unless I get a chance to hear it myself and like it haha).

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #342 of 2,252
I've been doing some critical listening with a pair of HD650's tonight running the Magni and Modi, and also feeding the Magni, Lyr, and Mjolnir out of the Gungnir as a reference. This all gets a little complicated, but let me start to tease out the good stuff.

The Magni fed by the Gungnir sounds great. Powerful, good dynamics, nice resolution, slightly (but not overly) bright. Lots of air and space around the instruments. The Modi is pretty good, but doesn't have the air and resolution during complex passages that the Gungnir presents. Bottom line--the Magni scales up with a better dac.

The Lyr sounds better than the Magni, but at $550 with a good pair of tubes vs. $100--the Magni is a tremendous value. The Lyr is warmer and has more air and dynamics than the Magni, but it's a difference of refinement.

Feeding the Lyr with the Modi reduces some of that air and dynamics, but it still sounds great. You could start with the Magni and Modi and upgrade either side and get a nice step up, but if I had to choose, I'd lean towards upgrading the dac first. If only I had a Bifrost handy.

The HD650 is very enjoyable with the M&M. I spent most of the day listening to this combination at work and it delivers a high end listening experience. More to come....

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #343 of 2,252
Thanks Barry!  

Can't wait to hear the rest.  Have you hooked the Modi up to the Mjolnir yet?  I am looking at this as a temporary solution until I get the funds for the Gungnir.  My Bifrost is going to have to go back to my main speaker system soon and i would like something better than my E17 to feed the Mjo.

Cheers!

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #344 of 2,252
Pelli-- Not yet, but it's on my list to try. There are only so many combinations you can listen to without overload. I try to sample different types of music with each combination because some recordings can mask or exaggerate the differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back