Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Dec 18, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #286 of 2,252
I'm pretty positive that legalizing weed is a bad move..

tongue_smile.gif

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #289 of 2,252
The Magni & Modi are solid products. My earlier post looks more critical than I intended, because I was evaluating them against Schiit's more expensive amps and dac. Taken on their own, they sound very good, the build quality is very nice, and the design is beautiful--these are fun to have on my desk. I'm impressed with the power and punch they deliver on the low end and nothing sounds thin--pretty good for a tiny amp. These are worth a listen and mine are staying.

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #290 of 2,252
Quote:
The Magni & Modi are solid products. My earlier post looks more critical than I intended, because I was evaluating them against Schiit's more expensive amps and dac. Taken on their own, they sound very good, the build quality is very nice, and the design is beautiful--these are fun to have on my desk. I'm impressed with the power and punch they deliver on the low end and nothing sounds thin--pretty good for a tiny amp. These are worth a listen and mine are staying.

Best Amp/dac combo for $200 (desktop)?

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #291 of 2,252
Quote:

Ok, to clear things up:

1. We know of exactly one case of a defective Lyr killing a headphone, post-relay. The person posts on this board--and he will tell you that we told him "it is defective, send it back and we'll fix it." He actually wanted to keep the amp, he was so happy with it, and kept it to the point where it blew up a headphone. If you have friends who have blown up headphones with Lyr, post-relay, they're not talking to us. And they should. In that case, the amp is defective, and we will fix it.

2. Any defect in our products is magnified on the forums, due to our large volume production. We have literally thousands of Lyrs and Asgards out in the world. If they had lots of issues, we simply wouldn't be a viable business. Our stuff is extremely reliable. Remember, Mike and I have been doing this for several decades. If you check the resale prices on 20-year-old Sumo and Theta gear, you'll get a pretty good idea that we build solid products.

To repeat some stuff from other threads regarding the relays, etc:

1. Why did the Asgard and Lyr not have relay protection when we first launched? When we started the company two years ago, we assumed we were building the highest-possible sonic performance products for an audience looking for the same, and who knew that this could involve taking some precautions. It's very common in megabuck gear to have a "turn on sequence," for example, where if you turn on the preamp after the power amp, you might be looking at voice coils. I'm not saying this is right, I'm just saying this is how it is. Now, we understand clearly that we have to provide reasonable protection. 

2. As far as we know, all early Asgard owners have been notified, and all who wanted the relay mute have it. A lot of people don't want relays. Of course, others still trickle in from secondhand and thirdhand owners. Relays have been in place since August 2011. If you want to know if an Asgard has a relay, ask the owner if there's a noticeable click 15-20 seconds after it powers up.

3. Only about 10% of total Lyr production went out without a relay. However, although early Lyr owners were notified, the take rate on the relay addition is very low. Most don't want it. Again, if you want to know if it has the relay, ask the owner about the click.

4. If you were not notified, or if you buy an early production Lyr or Asgard that has not had the relay added, the offer stands to retrofit any of them, from any owner (original or second/third/fourth/etc hand) for free. You only pay for shipping. 

+1. That's A-grade service in my book.

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #292 of 2,252
Love to hear impressions of Modi+Magni vs E17+E09K...hello? Anyone have both setups? :) 

I have the e17 and it will only cost a little bit more than a Magni to get the E09K, whereas the magni+modi will set me back around $300NZ, plus cost of separate compatible wall wart. 

But the magni+modi stack would probably look fantastic on my desk compared to the FiiO stack. I can hear my wallet groaning already...

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #293 of 2,252
I've posted this in the sponsors section but have not got a reply yet, hope this isn't against the forum rules to post here too as it seems like a different bunch of users in this thread. I have read both threads from start to finish.

How would Magni/Modi combo go with a set of AH-D600? 

For use in Australia (230v) would I be better getting a 230v to 16vac power supply, or get a 230v to 110v adapter and use the supplied power supply?

Dec 19, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #294 of 2,252
Quote:
Love to hear impressions of Modi+Magni vs E17+E09K...hello? Anyone have both setups? :) 

I have the e17 and it will only cost a little bit more than a Magni to get the E09K, whereas the magni+modi will set me back around $300NZ, plus cost of separate compatible wall wart. 

But the magni+modi stack would probably look fantastic on my desk compared to the FiiO stack. I can hear my wallet groaning already...

I believe most everyone who ordered both is still waiting on the Modi since most are supposed to ship out today apparently.

Dec 19, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #297 of 2,252
Quote:
The earlier Schiit amp's killed various users headphones. It's a problem that Jason fixed later on.

What do you mean?  I've been playing my new DT-770 limited on it for a few days to break both in and noticed this morning that the DT-770 sounds blown and distorted.  Can you please provide me more info on what you are referring to?

Dec 19, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #298 of 2,252
Quote:
 What do you mean?  I've been playing my new DT-770 limited on it for a few days to break both in and noticed this morning that the DT-770 sounds blown and distorted.  Can you please provide me more info on what you are referring to?

PM'd, but you can read the gist of it here in this thread.

Dec 19, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #299 of 2,252
Quote:

It's pretty much impossible for Magni to blow up anything--it has quite a bit of protection built into it. If you're having problems with your amp, please contact us.

Also, for clarification (from earlier in this thread):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/640783/schiit-magni-headphone-amplifier/270#post_8970366

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back