Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Feb 27, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #12,061 of 23,494

They look like they are from Feb, 1970. I am not in the market but I do wish people would include test results (not that I would trust them) so buyers can see how well the triodes match.

I'm tempted. So tempted - and this brings up a basic tube question I have, if someone could indulge me or point me in the right direction:

In cases like this where the seller isn't claiming matched pairs - I reckon any goofball such as myself could get a tube tester and match them at home? Is it just a question of testing them, and if two tubes are within a close range of values, they are deemed to be matched?

Yes, you could buy a tester and test them yourself. I want triodes to be within 5% in a single tube and I would like to see 5% tube to tube match as well. But, up to a 10% difference in both seems to sound fine too.

You could buy these tubes and none of them may match.

I think you would be better off buying Siemens CCa tubes from these eBay sellers:

audiotubes_de
tubesammler
euroklang

The first two are the same person. I have purchased from all three and have received great sounding tubes every time.

Feb 27, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #12,062 of 23,494
Yes, you could buy a tester and test them yourself. I want triodes to be within 5% in a single tube and I would like to see 5% tube to tube match as well. But, up top 10% difference in both sets to sound fine too.

You could buy these tubes and none of them may match.

I think you would be better off buying Siemens CCa tubes from these eBay sellers:

audiotubes_de
tubesammler
euroklang

The first two are the same person. I have purchased from all three and have received great sounding tubes every time.

Cool, thanks. :thu:

I doubt I will get that deep into the tube business, but who knows? It's good to know it's an option.

Feb 27, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #12,063 of 23,494
Well, once I found the tubes I liked, I figured I should buy enough to last 10 or so years. Why? Because I know tube prices aren't coming down and NOS availability isn't going up. If I don't use them, they are an investment for the reasons listed above!

Feb 27, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #12,064 of 23,494

They look like they are from Feb, 1970. I am not in the market but I do wish people would include test results (not that I would trust them) so buyers can see how well the triodes match.

For the asking price I would not expect testing numbers, $200 would probably be accepted, price is priced at the "cheap enough to take a chance on these" level. I heard A3 E88CC and I much prefer the greys myself.

Feb 27, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #12,065 of 23,494
  For the asking price I would not expect testing numbers, $200 would probably be accepted, price is priced at the "cheap enough to take a chance on these" level. I heard A3 E88CC and I much prefer the greys myself.

Yes, I only buy gray shields. They have a more realistic sound to them. The gray shield CCa tubes present the music almost uncolored but with depth, clarity, detail, and musicality l that I have not heard with any other tube with the possible exception of the 75 Reflektors HG tubes which are quite close..

Feb 27, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #12,066 of 23,494
Yeah, what they said. If you're going to spend real money on Siemens tubes it doesn't make sense to me to buy anything other than the grey shields.

Feb 27, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #12,067 of 23,494

Yes, I only buy gray shields. They have a more realistic sound to them. The gray shield CCa tubes present the music almost uncolored but with depth, clarity, detail, and musicality l that I have not heard with any other tube with the possible exception of the 75 Reflektors HG tubes which are quite close..

My #1 and #2 favorite tubes...

bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 27, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #12,068 of 23,494
Pinched Waist single auction.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/philips-e88cc-D-getter-philips-pinched-waist-/112317850629

Heerlen d-getter `58 auction. Single.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/philips-e88cc-D-getter-philips-/112317856630

`62 Amperex PQ 6922 USA $110 OBO.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matched-Pair-NOS-test-Amperex-USA-PQ-6922-Gold-Pin-Tubes-USA-date-gain-matched-/222421759196

Feb 27, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #12,070 of 23,494
They look like they are from Feb, 1970. I am not in the market but I do wish people would include test results (not that I would trust them) so buyers can see how well the triodes match.

I'm tempted. So tempted - and this brings up a basic tube question I have, if someone could indulge me or point me in the right direction:

In cases like this where the seller isn't claiming matched pairs - I reckon any goofball such as myself could get a tube tester and match them at home? Is it just a question of testing them, and if two tubes are within a close range of values, they are deemed to be matched?

I personally think its more important to have a single tube match itself and the other tube can be a little off as long as that one is close to matching itself as well. Think of each tube as 2 in 1. It's a dual triode so there will be 2 results for 1 tube.

And yeah, you could buy a tube tester if you'd like. I just go down to my local audio shop and they will test them for free if they aren't busy and I'll just buy a can of deoxit or whatnot. A decent tube tester can ve pricey bu there's a good deal waiting out there for everything, right? :)

Feb 27, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #12,071 of 23,494
I personally think its more important to have a single tube match itself and the other tube can be a little off as long as that one is close to matching itself as well. Think of each tube as 2 in 1. It's a dual triode so there will be 2 results for 1 tube.

And yeah, you could buy a tube tester if you'd like. I just go down to my local audio shop and they will test them for free if they aren't busy and I'll just buy a can of deoxit or whatnot. A decent tube tester can ve pricey bu there's a good deal waiting out there for everything, right?
smily_headphones1.gif

On the Lyr 2, each tube feeds a channel, so I think you want the tubes to match.....

Feb 27, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #12,072 of 23,494
I just want to announce that I bucked up and bought a brand new pair of 75' Reflektor "Holy Grail' SWGP silver shields. I paid more than I wanted to but still a lot less than, say, gray shield 60's CCa's from Eurolaking.. so if it makes an end-game impression on me it's money well spent, right? I guess in a sense were always gambling on whatever tubes we buy...with Ebay Buyer Protection, of course. Hehe

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #12,073 of 23,494
I just want to announce that I bucked up and bought a brand new pair of 75' Reflektor "Holy Grail' SWGP silver shields. I paid more than I wanted to but still a lot less than, say, gray shield 60's CCa's from Eurolaking.. so if it makes an end-game impression on me it's money well spent, right? I guess in a sense were always gambling on whatever tubes we buy...with Ebay Buyer Protection, of course. Hehe

Was it from Svetlana? He does not test for noise, got noisy 74`s from him, they were noisy in my dac but worked ok in the Lyr 2.

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #12,075 of 23,494
If you want '75 Reflektor "Holy Grail' SWGP silver shields, I would buy them from "kolkoo" here. He tests them and shares the results! I bought three matched pairs from him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back