Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Oct 24, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #10,276 of 23,494
Had a 1968 pair of Telefunken E188CC, the 1965 pair I have left sounds very similar.

anything special about 1960 or early 60's?

i was going to look at grabbing a siemens gray cca but since i have a silver cca (A0) and i have some of Bob's HG's coming that i might be better to grab a good pair of tele's (instead of gray cca's since i have the silvers) to have some variety - does that sound a valid choice? decisions decisions

Oct 24, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #10,278 of 23,494
  Question is what do you say about these? Happy with the sound :p ?
And yeah I think I called it that they are certainly not 0s but are definitely 65 because of the red print and structure
beerchug.gif

I am happy with the sound. I'll let them burn in for a bit before I give my impressions on them, but they are dead quite. No hum, popping, or crackling, and that was my main concern. Legit tubes so far.
redface.gif

Oct 24, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #10,279 of 23,494
anything special about 1960 or early 60's?

i was going to look at grabbing a siemens gray cca but since i have a silver cca (A0) and i have some of Bob's HG's coming that i might be better to grab a good pair of tele's (instead of gray cca's since i have the silvers) to have some variety - does that sound a valid choice? decisions decisions

I'm more of a Siemens fan rather than Telefunken but I really like the Telefunkens in my dac. Don't really know the year differences myself. I find the Telefunken too dry sounding in my amp but that's a matter of preference. You might be more likely getting a deal on the Siemens CCa greys than getting a deal on the Telefunkens. Only had 1 silver shield Siemens, A3 67 and did not care for them much. They were E88CC. Not enough meat on the bones. How your A1 silver shields sound, I don't know tbh.

Oct 24, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #10,280 of 23,494
Anybody here snag this 7L2 Miniwatt PW ??
Not a bad price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262678954554?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Oct 24, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #10,281 of 23,494
I'm more of a Siemens fan rather than Telefunken but I really like the Telefunkens in my dac. Don't really know the year differences myself. I find the Telefunken too dry sounding in my amp but that's a matter of preference. You might be more likely getting a deal on the Siemens CCa greys than getting a deal on the Telefunkens. Only had 1 silver shield Siemens, A3 67 and did not care for them much. They were E88CC. Not enough meat on the bones. How your A1 silver shields sound, I don't know tbh.
That right i meant to weite A1 silver shields.

They are quite vibrant, rich, dynamic, thick right across the entire range. From the (upper) mids and upwards thatvare quite linear and extended. Not dry to me. The bottom end is good. I wouldnt say it has heaps of sub bass or is thumping buts its rich amd everything is balance in that dynamic and CLEAN rich way.

Its a great tube. IF the grays are better, WOW!!!

Oct 24, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #10,282 of 23,494
This is forst telefunken...i think paidfairly cheap Cca...i paid arond $300

All that guys auction go pretty cheap, was hoping you had some Tele E88CC to compare the CCa  to. I have a feeling those CCa including the Siemens are reprinted E88CC. Those labels seem to "new" to me. Hope I`m wrong on that. Those quads Heerlen CCa went extremely well priced too.

Oct 24, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #10,283 of 23,494
That right i meant to weite A1 silver shields.

They are quite vibrant, rich, dynamic, thick right across the entire range. From the (upper) mids and upwards thatvare quite linear and extended. Not dry to me. The bottom end is good. I wouldnt say it has heaps of sub bass or is thumping buts its rich amd everything is balance in that dynamic and CLEAN rich way.

Its a great tube. IF the grays are better, WOW!!!

Sounds like a great pair, the Tele E188CC are warmer than the CCa grey. The Siemens adds the wetness that I like, the E188CC is dryer. Both excellent tubes, depending on preference you might like the E188CC over the CCa.

Lot of 8 Blackburn Mullards $140. ECC88`s
Some with different getters.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-8-NOS-RCA-MULLARD-6DJ8-6922-ECC88-TUBES-/291921038803?hash=item43f7d98dd3:g:jkIAAOSwm0JYDbs-

Oct 24, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #10,284 of 23,494
Does anyone know if the Lyr2 can be used with 6sn7's with the appropriate adapters? I have a ton here and wonder if I should get some adapters and try them. But of course if it's not safe, then well....

Oct 24, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #10,285 of 23,494
  All that guys auction go pretty cheap, was hoping you had some Tele E88CC to compare the CCa  to. I have a feeling those CCa including the Siemens are reprinted E88CC. Those labels seem to "new" to me. Hope I`m wrong on that. Those quads Heerlen CCa went extremely well priced too.

I keep my fingers cross...Unfortunately I don't have E88cc....

Oct 24, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #10,286 of 23,494
Sounds like a great pair, the Tele E188CC are warmer than the CCa grey. The Siemens adds the wetness that I like, the E188CC is dryer. Both excellent tubes, depending on preference you might like the E188CC over the CCa.

Lot of 8 Blackburn Mullards $140. ECC88`s
Some with different getters.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-8-NOS-RCA-MULLARD-6DJ8-6922-ECC88-TUBES-/291921038803?hash=item43f7d98dd3:g:jkIAAOSwm0JYDbs-
Ive been thinking of the teles due to billerbs view of these. We have different headphones (t1 v hd800) but the same amp (wa2) and prefeered power tube (gec6as7g)

As im looking to just get one pair (for now) how would you compare the tele e188cc to pinched waists (holland and/or usa). I did recently pick up some valvo heerlen e188cc '65 tubes if that helps as a ref to the PW.

Detail is pretty important as a starting point for me so happy to go down the path of great detail thats smooth and dynamic and extended but also on the other hand happy to sacrifice a LITTLE detail from extra layering and tone as well.

I do like my valvos (and will use them happily in rotation) but I would want more extended detail or layers than my valvos

Oct 24, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #10,288 of 23,494
I rolled these in tonight to my replacement Mjolnir 2 received today (first one lost left channel Friday). 
1974 Reflektor 6N23P silver shield. They sound KILLER! Seller agreed to $150 on offer:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182282698838?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Oct 24, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #10,290 of 23,494
Ive been thinking of the teles due to billerbs view of these. We have different headphones (t1 v hd800) but the same amp (wa2) and prefeered power tube (gec6as7g)

As im looking to just get one pair (for now) how would you compare the tele e188cc to pinched waists (holland and/or usa). I did recently pick up some valvo heerlen e188cc '65 tubes if that helps as a ref to the PW.

Detail is pretty important as a starting point for me so happy to go down the path of great detail thats smooth and dynamic and extended but also on the other hand happy to sacrifice a LITTLE detail from extra layering and tone as well.

I do like my valvos (and will use them happily in rotation) but I would want more extended detail or layers than my valvos

TELEFUNKEN, SIEMENS, VALVO, LORENZ, and other German made NOS: These tubes are usually characterized by an impressive open "air" at the top end. The soundstage is large, even in mono applications these tubes have a great 3-D image. The midrange is ruler flat, and the bass is tight and accurate. These tubes have a fine sense of dynamics, and most are impressively quiet. These are not "warm" tubes, and to some ears their lack of midrange warmth may be heard as bright. I tend to think of them as accurate, and their clean, focused sonic image is astonishing. My personal favorites. The top types are as would be expected: the 7308/E188CC, the Cca, and the 6922/E88CC. The Cca is a very special 6922 made for the German government for telecommunications. They are excellent tubes, as good as any 7308. By the way, the 1970s versions of these brands are excellent as well, in spite of some trashing on "Some Guy's Tube Lore" and other web pages. Don't let anyone tell you what tubes you should like and what you should not like!
AMPEREX, PHILIPS, MAZDA and other Holland/France/Belgium made NOS: These tubes are a great balance of a clean, airy top end, nice midrange warmth, and accurate bass. They are very pleasant, clean, and musical to listen to in hi-fi applications. The white label Amperex PQ type or USN-CEP (same tube, the USN was made for the military) made in the USA are considered one of the best 7308 or 6922 types of all ever made. The D-getter and pinch waist rare types are also highly regarded, and are very quiet as well. The orange label types run a close second. Look for the white label USA and Heerlen Holland factory made for other brands. They are the same tube and usually less expensive than those with the Amperex or Philips label! Finally, Philips (the parent company of Amperex) owned a number of tube brands, and many were never seen outside of Europe. Most were actually made in the same Heerlen, Holland factory that turned out the Bugleboy 6DJ8 and PQ 6922 Amperex. Watch for tubes labeled E88CC with brands like Valvo, R/T, RTC, Miniwatt, Dario, Philips, and Adzam. These tubes are identical to the Amperex PQ and Philips SQ (Special Quality) types more often found in America, and are perfect if the Amperex is not available, since they sound and look the same. Also rare in America are these same brands made at the Philips-owned Mazda factory (La Radiotechnique) in Suresnes, France. These usually have a capital "F" in the second line of the date code. They are sweet like the Holland tubes, with a bit better detail and punch at the top end, and still have nice balanced warmth. We are one of the very few worldwide tube dealers to offer these rare NOS French Philips tubes.
MULLARD, GENALEX, BRIMAR, and other British made NOS: Like a warm British jacket of the finest tweed, these glorious tubes have an attractive sweet warmth in their midrange and lower regions. The top end is silky and pleasant, without being rolled-off. The best of these tubes retain a fine sense of "air" at the top, and the upper midrange is smooth and liquid. These tubes reproduce the human voice, especially female voices, with haunting realism. The 1970s Mullard made have an attractive sparkle at the top with the rich bass, and these tubes are usually priced less than the older types.

Found here http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm

This will explain the different brands and an idea on how they sound.
Since I got my 2 pairs of PW I don`t listen to any other Heerlen tubes and that includes a set of Valvo CCa Heerlen.
Siemens, Telefunken, Reflektor 74, 75 SWGP will give you the detail your looking for.
I never heard USA PW since I don`t really care for the only USA I got, Amperex 6922 1960 D-getter much, but is decent in my dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back