Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Sep 13, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #3,001 of 23,494
No, still continues after pausing music. Every once and a while I'll hear it during a song and I pause to investigate, always shows up near the same spots on the volume control. 

Does it occur without input cables and is it in both channels. If it is in only one, switch the tubes. If the noise switches replace the tube. If it doesn't contact Schiit. If it is in both try plugging it in at another location physically moving it.

Sep 13, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #3,003 of 23,494
Does it occur without input cables and is it in both channels. If it is in only one, switch the tubes. If the noise switches replace the tube. If it doesn't contact Schiit. If it is in both try plugging it in at another location physically moving it.

Just left, swapping them it's on the right now and still occurs randomly without RCA cables. So yes one of the tubes is a dud. Fortunately it's not there most of the time. I still enjoy these tubes with certain music quite a bit. 

Thanks for the troubleshooting help. 

Sep 13, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #3,004 of 23,494
Just back from a 4 day backpacking trip in the Olympic mountains. A pile of boxes waiting.

But really dissappointed in the tubes I bought and swapped with Headfiers!

A pr of advertised 1975 Voskhod 6n23p's that I bought, but got sent a lowly '82 and '84 mismatched pr!! What a screaming ripoff!!! Buyer beware. I have boxes of these common, mediocre tubes.

And the triple mica Lorenz Stuttgarts, I traded my last pristine pr of HGs for, got sent a mismatched pr of fused mica PCC88s (one silver shield, one gray shield)! The 'trader' goes MIA to my repeated pm's. Even after posting here very recently!

What gives folks???!!! :angry_face:

Sep 13, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #3,005 of 23,494
thank you for everyone's advice. you know it's weird, I noticed that the sibilance had improved. 

I noted it during a few different segments of a a song I've recently been listening to on repeat for hours on end using my old set-up, so I can felt like I could really quickly tell sonic differences. Now only noticed silibance in 2 specific parts. Maybe my brain is getting used to the sound or whatever burn-in mumbojumbo, but yeaa. Now I understand why people believe in the burn-in or whatever. It's weird, with new equipment/headphones silibance is always the first thing I notice nowadays & first thing to improve after time lol.

This thread has been very interesting to follow, but I feel like the lyr 2 isn't ideal for tube rolling as you need to get a matched set which doubles the price, so I guess I'll probably stick with stock for now. it's a vast improvement over my old bravo v3, so I am satisfied for now. Would feel silly paying more than $50 for tubes and it sounds like all the good stuff is wayyy over that price range.

BTW: another question for you guys, is the lyr 2 supposed to run this hotttt? I can feel pretty intense heat on my volume pot after 30 minutes and my old bravo would only get hot around the heatsinks. Currently using high gain, volume pot around 11 o'clock for the 50ishohm HE-560s. lol sry if this is slightly off-topic from tubes :S but thanks for all your help!!! :):)
The capacitors in a brand new unit definitely need breakin, at least 100 hours. Pretty standard across audio equipment. It'll keep getting better.

There are awesome tubes available for less then $50, even $30. The '70's Voskhod Rockets are in that price range and freely available on ebay from Ukrainian dealers. I have alot of experience with these, as well as pretty much every 6922, E88CC, 6DJ8, ECC88, E188CC, CCa made. Been rolling them for 20+ yrs.

IMO, these lower cost 6n23p's are a huge improvement over the stock JJ's.

:)

Sep 13, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #3,006 of 23,494
Unfortunately, shipments from this seller seem to be a bit slow. There are a number of us who have these on order, but to my knowledge, no one has received them. RB was the first, so it is likely he will be the first to review them.
The '66 triple mica, black plate 6n1p-e's arrived. Hadn't had a chance to listen yet, or test but tomorrow I should have chance to burn them in a little a give a listen. Will report soon.

Sep 13, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #3,007 of 23,494
Guy's, anybody with a Lyr 1 or a Valhalla? I screwed up and ordered a matched pair of the 6N1P-EV military grade, "rare", to $55.00. I would like to trade for/toward tubes for my Lyr 2....Cheers :beers:!

Sep 13, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #3,009 of 23,494
ladies and gents....

we have fish!!!!  GO GET THEM!!!  
Mouse over image to zoom

1. $_14.JPG
  2. $_14.JPG
  3. $_14.JPG
  4. $_14.JPG

Have one to sell? 

2 x E88CC CCa 6922 Lorenz West Germany same series old version

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-E88CC-CCa-6922-Lorenz-West-Germany-same-series-old-version-in-Box-100/141400023817?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D25805%26meid%3D7688d4f4cfe2469dad9feac886ae1163%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D10778%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D171443013408

Sep 13, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #3,010 of 23,494
Just back from a 4 day backpacking trip in the Olympic mountains. A pile of boxes waiting.

But really dissappointed in the tubes I bought and swapped with Headfiers!

A pr of advertised 1975 Voskhod 6n23p's that I bought, but got sent a lowly '82 and '84 mismatched pr!! What a screaming ripoff!!! Buyer beware. I have boxes of these common, mediocre tubes.

And the triple mica Lorenz Stuttgarts, I traded my last pristine pr of HGs for, got sent a mismatched pr of fused mica PCC88s (one silver shield, one gray shield)! The 'trader' goes MIA to my repeated pm's. Even after posting here very recently!

What gives folks???!!!
angry_face.gif

#1 Having grown up in Washington (now in Texas) I'm extremely jealous of your backpacking trips.  #2  These were Head-Fi'ers?  I'm pretty surprised.  I'd give them the chance to respond, but please do warn us once you feel ready.  One of the best things about this site (and this thread in particular) is that I feel I can trust everyone.

Sep 13, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #3,011 of 23,494
#1 Having grown up in Washington (now in Texas) I'm extremely jealous of your backpacking trips.  #2  These were Head-Fi'ers?  I'm pretty surprised.  I'd give them the chance to respond, but please do warn us once you feel ready.  One of the best things about this site (and this thread in particular) is that I feel I can trust everyone.
Oh the Pac NW is just amazing for backpacking, maybe the best in the country! :D

Well one said he did know they weren't 1975's, even though it's printed pretty bright on these two. The date is plain. No codes. And the 1975 was blazen in the ad title, not hidden or not mentioned. Oh well.

In the second case this is a very knowledgeable Headfier, who should definitely know better.

Oh well, I chaulk it up to the unfortunate part of this hobby.

And we move on... :deadhorse:

Sep 13, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #3,012 of 23,494
Oh the Pac NW is just amazing for backpacking, maybe the best in the country!
biggrin.gif

Well one said he did know they weren't 1975's, even though it's printed pretty bright on these two. The date is plain. No codes. And the 1975 was blazen in the ad title, not hidden or not mentioned. Oh well.

In the second case this is a very knowledgeable Headfier, who should definitely know better.

Oh well, I chaulk it up to the unfortunate part of this hobby.

And we move on...
deadhorse.gif

As long as you keep doing what you're doing.  Love your contributions to this thread almost as much as the '74 SWGP gray shields I got from you...ahem...if you have any more like that, let me know...cough...  Cheers
beerchug.gif

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #3,013 of 23,494
I'm rolling 71, and 74 Voskhod 6n23p.  This is Single wired getter post.  I've been listen to this tube for several weeks, and couple of days ago suddenly "BANG" happened.
It really opened the space, mids flowing like juice.  Top and Bottom also opened up for this tubes.  details and imaging are clear...loving this tubes!

If you can hold of these babies, go get'em ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #3,014 of 23,494
As long as you keep doing what you're doing.  Love your contributions to this thread almost as much as the '74 SWGP gray shields I got from you...ahem...if you have any more like that, let me know...cough...  Cheers:beerchug:
Thanks for the kind words. :xf_eek:.

Well I guess I'm just used to this from the Russian dealers. The good news, both Headfiers finally got back to me. The ''75 Voshkods' - that were really are mismatched '80s - it settling with me fairly (no wonder he's selling these tubes!! These '80s are no comparison to the amazing '75s :rolleyes:).

The Headfier goofed on sending the mismatched Lorenz silver and gray shields but they're still not triple mica's, but fused getter 2 mica's. He's making good on getting me a matching pr. Much appreciated. :D

So all's good with my dealings with Headfiers despite the bumps in the road.

Glad to hear your're loving the '74 Voskhod SWGP Gray Shields! Happy listening.

Now on to rolling these 6n1p-e triple mica '66s! :L3000:

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #3,015 of 23,494
I'm rolling 71, and 74 Voskhod 6n23p.  This is Single wired getter post.  I've been listen to this tube for several weeks, and couple of days ago suddenly "BANG" happened.
It really opened the space, mids flowing like juice.  Top and Bottom also opened up for this tubes.  details and imaging are clear...loving this tubes!

If you can hold of these babies, go get'em ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
I hope BANG was metaphorical! Lol! :wink_face:

Enjoy those awesome glowing bottles!

Cheers!

:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back