Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 4, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #5,656 of 8,735
Heads up!  I found 6BZ7s here:

http://www.surplussales.com/Tubes-Sock-Acc/6/TubesListed_6-2.html

at $1.60 per.  I figured, at that price, worth a shot.  I bought a few, though all the list says is "various brands".

Well, I got them today and all the ones I got are RCA 6BZ7s.

Definitely worth it for Lyr rollers!

Mar 4, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #5,657 of 8,735
So what's a typical tube warm-up time? I just got a pair of OG's in the mail today and I tried them out after about 10min of warming up. A ponderance of painful sibilance in Bjork's Hyper-Ballad inspired me to take off my HPs without much delay.
confused_face.gif

Mar 4, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #5,658 of 8,735
Quote:
So what's a typical tube warm-up time? I just got a pair of OG's in the mail today and I tried them out after about 10min of warming up. A ponderance of painful sibilance in Bjork's Hyper-Ballad inspired me to take off my HPs without much delay.
confused_face.gif

Don't confuse warm up with burn in (or run in).

Tubes should be warmed up in about ten minutes.  But the sound signature will change over time until it reaches a somewhat final state.  Exactly when this happens is subject to some debate.  Did you get the GEs or the JJs?

Mar 4, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #5,659 of 8,735
Quote:
Heads up!  I found 6BZ7s here:

http://www.surplussales.com/Tubes-Sock-Acc/6/TubesListed_6-2.html

at $1.60 per.  I figured, at that price, worth a shot.  I bought a few, though all the list says is "various brands".

Well, I got them today and all the ones I got are RCA 6BZ7s.

Definitely worth it for Lyr rollers!

i would totally buy tons of these! however... Are they/would they be matched properly? I'm actually very interested in getting a few pairs.

Mar 4, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #5,661 of 8,735
Quote:

Don't confuse warm up with burn in (or run in).

Tubes should be warmed up in about ten minutes.  But the sound signature will change over time until it reaches a somewhat final state.  Exactly when this happens is subject to some debate.  Did you get the GEs or the JJs?

Mine cam with the GE pair

Nah I'm asking about warm-up time. Not burn-in. Might have been poor contact. 
Wish I had two Lyr's with an A/B swich.
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 4, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #5,662 of 8,735
Quote:
i would totally buy tons of these! however... Are they/would they be matched properly? I'm actually very interested in getting a few pairs.

I bought 16, they are definitely NOS.  I figured, at that price, I can get a bunch, and if I have to go through a few of them to find two that sound good together, no problem.

Anyone know how to read date codes on these?

Mar 4, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #5,663 of 8,735
Quote:

tongue_smile.gif

All it takes is money...  
tongue.gif

wink.gif

Mar 4, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #5,664 of 8,735
Quote:

tongue_smile.gif

These are sounding much better already, after about 3 hours.  Straight out of the box they sounded really V shaped, now the midrange is coming into its own.

Mar 4, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #5,666 of 8,735
I just ordered an O2 for portable use, but, I was wondering if any1 could compare the Lyr and O2 for desktop. I read the O2 is better, but I don't really believe that is true. I ink the lyr makes my Q701's sound great, even without a dac. It is a little jumbled and sharp at times, but that's most likely just the lack of a dac or the cans.

So can any1 compare the O2 and the Lyr?

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #5,667 of 8,735
Quote:
I just ordered an O2 for portable use, but, I was wondering if any1 could compare the Lyr and O2 for desktop. I read the O2 is better, but I don't really believe that is true. I ink the lyr makes my Q701's sound great, even without a dac. It is a little jumbled and sharp at times, but that's most likely just the lack of a dac or the cans.

So can any1 compare the O2 and the Lyr?

Have an O2 but haven't heard a Lyr. The Lyr is going to be better, period.

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #5,668 of 8,735

Thanks! And also, you think a Gamma2 will improve sound greatly?

P.S. you post in like, every thread I post in, it's kinda weird haha

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #5,669 of 8,735
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks! And also, you think a Gamma2 will improve sound greatly?

P.S. you post in like, every thread I post in, it's kinda weird haha

Yes, its a DAC if I researched correctly. Some people think the source is the most important part of a headphone setup(past the headphone of course
tongue.gif
). Anyways, grab some other tubes, like the Mullard CV2493. Yea I'm on this forum too often.

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #5,670 of 8,735
And you have K167's too... This is madness!
NOOO this is Head-Fi! :p had to get the spongebob joke in there lol

Anyways, just bought the Gamma2, I'm down $200 this week, looks like its timemtomsell some random household stuff XD

Thanks for ur help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back