Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 14, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #3,211 of 8,735
Quote:
LISTENING WITH: My trusty Mullard IEC 6DJ8's, with new socket savers installed today is "elevating" my game :wink:  One of them seems to be turning very microphonic, though (with buzzing until I tap it a few times) :frowning2:

LISTENING TO: Everyday Sunshine - Fishbone

Read somewhere that tapping tubes is not good. Will increase microphonics. Tap too much and you will be Partying at Ground Zero with your tubes...
smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #3,213 of 8,735
Mullards CV2493's and Lorenz 3-mica.

May 15, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #3,215 of 8,735
Quote:
The E88CC Lorenz Stuttgart is slightly different in character to the PCC88. When I've rolled mine in, I'm always struck by the level of fine, inner detail in these tubes. They're very neutral top to bottom. Lord Soth - what are your impressions of the E88CC?

Hi everyone,

Due to some work commitments, I have disappeared (and will disappear again) from audio forums for a short spell......

Hi Misterrogers,
I'm currently using my Lorenz PCC88 (2 mica version) as my everyday tubes, I have achieved "audio nirvana"
o2smile.gif
ever since I plugged them in.
The Lorenz CCa might have higher resolution but I have reached the stage whereby I am simply too audio satiated at the moment to change my tubes.

But I have the following audio comparison project in mind.

Since my Lorenz PCC88 (2 Mica) have been utilised for at least 100hrs, it would be unfair of me to post any serious audio comparisons of all my other Lorenz tubes.

So I shall add on to the current burn-in for all my other Stuttgart Lorenz tubes

1. Lorenz PCC88 3 Mica
2. Lorenz E88CC 3 Mica
3. Lorenz E88CC 2 Mica
4. Lorenz CCa 2 Mica

vs the above-mentioned Lorenz PCC88 (2 Mica).

After subjecting those tubes to audio burn in CD for at least 100hrs* using my audio burn-in CDs, I shall return and post my impressions here.
Please give me about one to two weeks time to do that. 

*(don't worry, I would never sell these as "NOS" on Ebay).
wink_face.gif

May 15, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #3,217 of 8,735
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Due to some work commitments, I have disappeared (and will disappear again) from audio forums for a short spell......

Hi Misterrogers,
I'm currently using my Lorenz PCC88 (2 mica version) as my everyday tubes, I have achieved "audio nirvana"
o2smile.gif
ever since I plugged them in.
The Lorenz CCa might have higher resolution but I have reached the stage whereby I am simply too audio satiated at the moment to change my tubes.

But I have the following audio comparison project in mind.

Since my Lorenz PCC88 (2 Mica) have been utilised for at least 100hrs, it would be unfair of me to post any serious audio comparisons of all my other Lorenz tubes.

So I shall add on to the current burn-in for all my other Stuttgart Lorenz tubes

1. Lorenz PCC88 3 Mica
2. Lorenz E88CC 3 Mica
3. Lorenz E88CC 2 Mica
4. Lorenz CCa 2 Mica

vs the above-mentioned Lorenz PCC88 (2 Mica).

After subjecting those tubes to audio burn in CD for at least 100hrs* using my audio burn-in CDs, I shall return and post my impressions here.
Please give me about one to two weeks time to do that. 

*(don't worry, I would never sell these as "NOS" on Ebay).
wink_face.gif

We know the answer the PC88's sound the best if you prefer the PCC88's over the CCa's are the  E88CC tubes readily available or do we have to Conjur the dead to make them? All the Lorenz are so  rare that they are just best left not talked about at all... They are freaking gone for the most part...Dead we have known the PC88's are the best for along time... And to add to this my point is I keep seeing new users asking me "Where do I get the Lorenz tubes" Then when I say well first you have to be a Witch and make a potion to Conjur the dead then make them into zombies and make tubes that no longer exist they are shocked.. hahaha

May 15, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #3,219 of 8,735
For a different point of view... 
wink_face.gif
 I'd appreciate hearing your impressions of each of these when you get to it Lord Soth. As much as I enjoy the PCC88's (2/3 mica), I find attributes of the Lorenz E88CC (2/3 mica) very compelling and enjoyable - just as I do the Siemens & Halske E188CC's and CCa's, Amperex PQ's, pinched waist or not. These are all good, with each being stellar in at least a couple of areas. I enjoy these buggers (probably too much!), and enjoy their differences. On a lark, I just rolled in the trusty 6BZ7's - a pretty damn good performer for the cost.

May 16, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #3,221 of 8,735
Quote:
Updated list 2

Scarys list of the Top 5 and take it for what its worth opinion of tubes to try

1. CCa Siemens & Halske grey plate O Getter -- Very rare, Very expensive 400.00 +
2. CCa Siemens & Halske A Frames --rare, expensive 220.00 +
2. Valvo CCA E88CC 1966-- rare expensive 180.00 +
3. Mullard E88CC 1966-- Can get them from Tubemonger for 120.00
4 Brimar 2492's 60's -- somewhat rare prices can be anywhere between 60.00 and 120.00
5. Valvo Red Label E88CC -- rare around 120.00

3,4,5 are just about a tie

My recommendation for those that have tried the JJ's and the GE's from Schiit is to realize your budget and stick with it. These recommendations are just my opinion on rolling many tubes
there are many tubes that I have omitted from this list as they did not either live up to the performance expected or were a bad price performance tube.

My recommendations for new Lyr users are as follows
1. Mullard E88CC 120.00  Great sound, Airy full bass beautiful mids, warm
2. Brimar 2492's 60.00 -120.00 Great bass good mids good treble
3. Mullard IEC's around 80-100 Great bass great mids good treble
4. GE 6BZ7  20.00 from Schiit your best bet for the GE's
5. RCA 6BZ7, Sylvania 6BZ7, Great bang for the buck only a couple dollars for each tube via ebay
6. National Mullard/ tooling japanese tubes -- 60.00 Tube monger
7. Cryoset 6N23P's --  80.00 from Cryoset
8. 6N1p's 70's or older -- 20.00 -40.00 ebay or preferably a tube trader

Is this your most up-to-date list MrScary?

May 16, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #3,223 of 8,735
Quote:
Is this your most up-to-date list MrScary?

NO that list is very old and I never updated my opinion and never will I just pop in every once in a while but as of late I have been around a bit more because I have run into some unsual tubes that sound really good
but have not mentioned them yet.. I am curious about the Lorenz tubes but the sad thing is I am never ever paying huge sums of money for tubes I already have so many that the differences are all up to opinion..
In reality one thing that we never really broke down in this thread is this.. What is your audio chain? I can tell you I now have multiple setups and each one sounds different with the same exact tubes..
So as much as I would love now to say "Tubes alone" change the world I cannot.. Its the sum of the whole..
I am no longer publicly giving my opinion about what tubes I would get if I was a new user.. Private I would give you a idea if you could tell me what your audio chain is.. :wink:
:)

May 16, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #3,224 of 8,735
Quote:
For a different point of view... 
wink_face.gif
 I'd appreciate hearing your impressions of each of these when you get to it Lord Soth. As much as I enjoy the PCC88's (2/3 mica), I find attributes of the Lorenz E88CC (2/3 mica) very compelling and enjoyable - just as I do the Siemens & Halske E188CC's and CCa's, Amperex PQ's, pinched waist or not. These are all good, with each being stellar in at least a couple of areas. I enjoy these buggers (probably too much!), and enjoy their differences. On a lark, I just rolled in the trusty 6BZ7's - a pretty damn good performer for the cost.

I can see it now Misterrogers tubes.. your could use a catch phrase like .. We have combined the best attributes of all the vintage tubes into one! just turn the dial and lock in your sound :)
How I wish. I agree about the attributes of many tubes..  I am not being a stinker guys its just frustration you know after ya chase the rabbit so long that you finally realize they all have different attributes..
I wish that I had the time to put into this thread but I do not anymore I am currently doing alot of Session work on the side (Been playing guitar for 33 years) and Audio Engineering I just
do not have the time to tear things apart like I tried to at one time when I was chasing the rabbit..  So in closing I will let you guys know about what I have discovered recently when I give everything I own
a listen again.

And just one last point I made earlier. Since this is a tube rolling thread and non-specific its great that everyone wants to bring to the table thought's on tubes but my concern is this.. New users see us talking about the Lorenz. Some of us are lucky to have them and have been generous enough
to sell to others but I always hate to tell new users that the Lorenz are like finding a needle in a haystack. People do not have the time to spend searching for the elusive "God Particle" they want a tube and I hate to tell them Im sorry but good luck! This is a very addictive hobby
and I know when I finally rested it was  relief and once I went back and started slowly listening to every tube again I have realized that I made many mistakes along the way but also made some good ones...Maybe what we need is a FAQ for this thread to let people know how hard it is to get the Lorenz and how expensive some others that we prize are.. ôô
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back