Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Jan 27, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #2,131 of 2,392
I have my Lyr and just a quick question. I bought to pair with my HE500 and notice a hum starting at approx. 2:00 on the volume pot. It is dead quiet to that point and even at it's loudest it's not bad at all. This is without sources powered on. I was just wondering if this was normal or represents the ground loop issue and whether I should bother trying to figure it out.

The sound improvement with the added power is wonderful. I was using the MAD Ear+ HD which is like audio gold with my RS1i but didn't have the raw power recommended for orthos. Considering my budget I feel I'm sitting on a great setup.

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #2,132 of 2,392
That's normal. You'll never get anywhere near that level in normal use anyway, unless you have serious hearing problems. I listen to music between 8 and 10 am on the dial.

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #2,133 of 2,392

Quote:
I have my Lyr and just a quick question. I bought to pair with my HE500 and notice a hum starting at approx. 2:00 on the volume pot. It is dead quiet to that point and even at it's loudest it's not bad at all. This is without sources powered on. I was just wondering if this was normal or represents the ground loop issue and whether I should bother trying to figure it out.

The sound improvement with the added power is wonderful. I was using the MAD Ear+ HD which is like audio gold with my RS1i but didn't have the raw power recommended for orthos. Considering my budget I feel I'm sitting on a great setup.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me stops in to help you out but just from reading this thread I would say ground loop problem or possibly the set screw on the volume pot is loose. I saw this problem earlier in either this thread or the other thread. Mine is pretty much dead quiet but tubes have a lot to do with this also. Do you notice the sound exactly the same in both ears or on one side or the other. If it is on only one side just switch the tubes around and see if the sound switches. Either way you should be ok with a small amount of hum so long it isn't bothering you, dont think you are hurting any of your equipment at all.

Jan 28, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #2,134 of 2,392
My new Lyr arrived yesterday and I'm up early on a Saturday, putting some burn-in hours on the 6N1P tubes.

The Lyr replaces a trusty LD1+ that has driven my 650s well for the last year. I assumed the jump in SQ from LD1+ to Lyr wouldn't be as large as it was...but, the Lyr kills the LD in every way.
smile.gif

Glad I finally pulled the trigger! I didn't need the power for the Senns, but I'm planning to add some orthos next.

Jan 29, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #2,135 of 2,392
Congrats OldSkool. My LD1+ had rather good synergy with my RS1s, although there too the Lyr is better. Much better balanced.

The Lyr is indeed a good match with Orthos. Beware the costs though if you start tube-rolling!

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #2,136 of 2,392
Thanks for the kind words!

Funny you mentioned tube rolling, as I mainly chose the Lyr over the Valhalla and Meier Concerto because of the ability to roll tubes and slightly tailor the sound to fit ones system. Too bad the Lorenz PCC88 tubes were snatched up so quickly, but I have my eye on some Amperex orange globes to try next. Is this how the sickness starts?
smile.gif

FWIW, I have maybe 14 hours now on the Lyr/6N1Ps and the bass has filled in nicely. I'm also amazed at the wider soundstage I'm hearing.

Jan 30, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #2,137 of 2,392
Just went for it and got the Lyr! So damn excited, shoulder-shaking excited (see "Kristen Wiig in Dream Home Extreme of SNL"). 

Originally ordered the Valhalla, but it was on backorder for so long, I thought, "What the heck, go with the bigger kid!" Can't wait to start tube-rolling; speaking of, I went with the stock NOS.

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #2,138 of 2,392
Congrats mikenike, you made the right choice...and will LOVE the Lyr! What headphones do you have?

The Lyr drives my HD650s with ease, I listen normally about the 9:00 position. Really nice SQ with just the 6N1P tubes, will try the GE 6BZ7s next.

Let us know what you think when it arrives.

Feb 3, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #2,139 of 2,392

Quote:
Congrats mikenike, you made the right choice...and will LOVE the Lyr! What headphones do you have?

The Lyr drives my HD650s with ease, I listen normally about the 9:00 position. Really nice SQ with just the 6N1P tubes, will try the GE 6BZ7s next.

Let us know what you think when it arrives.

I got the HD650s as well, and I have a pair of Audio Technica MTH-45s, which doesn't seem that well-known on Head-Fi. At the end of my internship (beginning of summer), I'll probably dish out for another headphone in the HD650s range (either the AKG K701 or Beyerdynamic DT880) or perhaps the Bifrost. 

I've read a lot of great things with the 6N1P in the Lyr tube rolling thread, so I think I'll get that in a couple weeks.

The package should be coming this evening, although it feels like FedEx is cutting it close with this delivery (it was shipped just Wednesday). I keep getting the feeling it should be delivered next week, but since the tracking says it be will here today, I'll be on edge the whole day!

I already know my first test song: "One of these Nights" by the Eagles. Only just discovered it yesterday on YouTube, but now I cannot get that song out of my head!

Feb 3, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #2,140 of 2,392
Argh! I was right. FedEx just took off the estimated delivery date. But now there's nothing for estimated delivery date. Probably will get it on Tuesday. Not sure if the subcontractors for FedEx Home Delivery does Saturday deliveries, and they seem to not deliver Mondays.

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #2,141 of 2,392
Hi,

I just got my Lyr 2 days ago..
Loving it..and its still running in..

I have my pair of Swan X4 monitors connected to the pre-amp out.
I started to encounter with noise problem not hum
 for this case the noise = it sounded exactly like when you tv reception is out of tune.
So far it happened twice and I am not sure is this normal..
To recover from this I had to shutdown the gears several time., becos sometime once is not enuff
    shutdown for this case, do not include PC...

Anyone has this problem..
Is this a defective unit???

Wrote to Shiit Audio and
Jason replied "no idea, unfortunately"
Sigh.... maybe I am the unfortunate one...

My current gears layout
PC(running JR MC16 >usb> Audio-gd NFB2(DIR9001) >diy IC> Lyr > diy IC (rca to xlr) > X4

I had practically read thr this thread and only few had connected their active spkrs to this headamp..

any suggestion will greatly appreciated!

Feb 5, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #2,142 of 2,392
Had been a problem the past 2days..
and its getting on my nerve..

However I think I might had found the problem...

Noticed that I did not have the headphone connected to the Lyr when I have the noise issue.

Reason for not connecting the headphone is ... there is no switch to toggle between preamp and headphone...
Decided to connect my headphone to Lyr..
after that, no noise problem..

IS it necessay to have a headphone connected???????
Can someone with a pair of active spkr try this...
Power your system without a headphone connected....
 Do you hear static noise  coming out from yr spkrs???

rgds

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #2,143 of 2,392
I have a pair of active Swan M200 MKIII monitors that I did at some point hook up to the Lyr.  Yes, there is a lot of feeback or noise when hooked up to the Lyr as a pre-amp.  The Swans are dead quiet when just hooked up to my source.  I'd have to look up info but this has been confirmed by others as well.  Maybe check out the 6Moons article on the Lyr.  The pre-amp function of the Lyr is nice because the volume knob of the Lyr is better than the volume control on the Swans.  However, due to the noise I eventually stopped using the Lyr as a pre-amp.  With the Swans I didn't need the extra gain or tube flavor so you might be better off not using the pre-amp function as well.  

I never powered the speakers on with a pair of headphones plugged into the Lyr.  I believe when you do that only the headphone can be used so the pre-amp circuitry is not in play.   

Quote:
Had been a problem the past 2days..
and its getting on my nerve..

However I think I might had found the problem...

Noticed that I did not have the headphone connected to the Lyr when I have the noise issue.

Reason for not connecting the headphone is ... there is no switch to toggle between preamp and headphone...
Decided to connect my headphone to Lyr..
after that, no noise problem..

IS it necessay to have a headphone connected???????
Can someone with a pair of active spkr try this...
Power your system without a headphone connected....
 Do you hear static noise  coming out from yr spkrs???

rgds

Feb 5, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #2,145 of 2,392

Quote:
I have a pair of active Swan M200 MKIII monitors that I did at some point hook up to the Lyr.  Yes, there is a lot of feeback or noise when hooked up to the Lyr as a pre-amp.  The Swans are dead quiet when just hooked up to my source.  I'd have to look up info but this has been confirmed by others as well.  Maybe check out the 6Moons article on the Lyr.  The pre-amp function of the Lyr is nice because the volume knob of the Lyr is better than the volume control on the Swans.  However, due to the noise I eventually stopped using the Lyr as a pre-amp.  With the Swans I didn't need the extra gain or tube flavor so you might be better off not using the pre-amp function as well.  

I never powered the speakers on with a pair of headphones plugged into the Lyr.  I believe when you do that only the headphone can be used so the pre-amp circuitry is not in play.   

@WNBC,

would appreciate if you could hookup yr Swan M200 to test. - if static noise is present , then power off and plug in a headphone..

the static noise should goes away if this is the cause, just ;like mine...

Without the pre-amp is a deal breaker for me...

Quote:
only static I hear are pops but ive used the lyr as a pre amp without any headphone connected.

@ninjikiran..
    I will hear pops if I turn on my power spkers immediately after the LYr is ON..
 So I will wait for 30 sec to power my Swan after the Lyr. Result - dead quite...

I had written to Jason about this ..:

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back