Schiit Loki Max Impressions
Dec 9, 2021 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 265

Ableza

Headphoneus Supremus
Loki Max is Schiit's latest no-holds-barred EQ. Jason Stoddard describes it as "the world's only balanced, full L-C, remote controlled EQ with memory presets" or words to that effect.

Here it is in my system:
IMG_1378.jpg

After finally getting time for some extended listening with the Loki Max in my office system, I have a few quick impressions to share.

First off, for those worried that "adding a component" to your system would somehow change or compromise the sound quality, in my system the Loki Max was completely transparent. I have it connected via balanced ICs between my Yggdrasil and my amp. With all bands set to zero, I used the bypass function to test if sending the signal through the electronics changed it in some way, I heard everything as clear and perfect in bypass as with the controls in. It was undetectably transparent.

Physically the thing is surprisingly heavy. I know this is due to all the inductors and the power supply, but it feels like a brick especially for its size. Also because of all the inductors and transformer (i.e. heavy metal) inside, the device runs warm. Not hot, certainly not too hot to touch, but much warmer than I expected. Warmer than the Yggdrasil beneath it in my setup.

The adjustments are subtle in a very welcome way unless you crank them to the maximums and then they approach too much. I found the the effects in all bands at three to five clicks cut or two to three clicks boost were perfect and very pleasing to me. I was able to significantly improve the Voce headphones (to my tastes) with some small boosts in the low end and small cuts on the high end. The Infinity RSII loudspeakers required a different set of cuts and boosts, so I was very happy to have three memory presets available. One for flat, two for speakers, three for headphones. Nice.

For those who may be used to a continuous EQ or tone controls, using one that switches relays through stepped adjustments takes some getting used to. While the motorized faders are moving, the adjustment is not audible until it stops. So for example, the Max comes with a factory preset of all-flat in preset one giving you a nice default starting point (the faders have no detent at zero, making a return to zero without looking difficult.) So, if I am testing a setup and wish to return to flat, I press the preset one button on the very nice remote control and the knobs start spinning. I hear no changes while the knobs rotate until they stop. I am used to a continuous EQ which would let me hear the sweep. A minor thing, but for oldies like me who have experience in studios or with live sound mixing, it's different.

Sound wise I return to the transparent comment I made earlier. This is what you pay for in a machine like this, and why in my opinion the Loki Max is an absolute bargain. Because of the stepped attenuators and the massive power supply and the true L-C envelope filters and attention to engineering details, the noise floor is not detectable. I haven't scoped it but I think the ratings given on the Schiit website are conservative. And it may be the placebo effect because I am not immune to that (like all humans) but I believe the overall presentation (sound stage) and sound quality of my system has improved, even with the settings to flat, and especially when I power up the loudspeakers in my office and listen through air. Something has changed, it is more than subtle, and I like it.

I am still listening and liking what I hear. Nice work, Schiit.

Schiit product page: https://www.schiit.com/products/loki-max

Dec 9, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 265
Having had a Lokius in my system since it was released I will add my impressions as to the Loki Max.

Had Jason never finished his moonshot project I would have left Lokius in my system because just a little tweak can make things more enjoyable. First off, once you've done what's practical in your room for two channel stereo, guess what? It will still need some help! In this universe anyway. Just don't expect an EQ to correct everything.

My den is on the soft side, the vocals often too far back in the sound stage and just a little sparkle missing.

All it took was was a couple little tweaks.

What do you gain audibly in addition to the bells and whistles with the Loki Max?

An improved sound stage.

Here's my somewhat flawed use of words describing the difference I hear (please bear that in mind): The images are tighter and more solid in space. It's as if they would wander a bit with Lokius compared to LM. It's not easy to describe, but it's as if everything is more dynamic and emerges from a quieter space. A pleasant surprise!

On the headphone side of things my RAAL SR1a absolutely love the 20hz knob!

Lokius is good but LM is better. YMMV, you and your check book will decide.

My only niggle is it's a little tight sliding your index finger under the larger knobs if it's sitting beside your chair. Yeah I know it has a remote! :smile_phones:
IMG_20211209_154349065.jpg

Headphones: Roon-Yggy-Mj2-LM-Krell KAV-400xi.

Two channel: Roon-PS PerfectWave-PS BHK Pre-LM- Rotel RB-1590 amp -Revel Performa M126Be speakers.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #3 of 265
I got mine today. I'm very impressed and it may be a keeper. My knobs are silver but I do not have red index lines, just a physical cut in that spot. Kind of hard to see from my listening position.

Now that I looked closley, I think @Pandahead used tape for the index markings and covered the lights as well with a small piece.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #4 of 265
IMG_20211210_115048268_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Jason, you should include a quality sticker set in various shapes of quality marker/dimmer tape!

Years back I carefully cut little pieces in a variety of colors for the sample rate LEDs on Yggy, geez at least I'm not alone! :smile_phones:

Dec 10, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #7 of 265
so I was very happy to have three memory presets available. One for flat, two for speakers, three for headphones.
Thanks for the great review. I think that if/when it is available in silver (matching the rest of my stack), I shall be sorely tempted.

Regarding the first of your presets, is there a reason for using a Flat preset rather than the bypass function?

Dec 10, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #8 of 265
Glad to read these positive impressions! FedEx is scheduled to deliver my Loki Max tomorrow. It was supposed to arrive Thursday but went on walkabout instead.

Dec 10, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #9 of 265
My only niggle is it's a little tight sliding your index finger under the larger knobs if it's sitting beside your chair. Yeah I know it has a remote! :smile_phones:

I was going to add some slightly taller feet to raise it if I end up loving it and deciding to keep it! I think it has proven itself with the LCD-5, now on to the Sus.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #11 of 265
Thanks for the great review. I think that if/when it is available in silver (matching the rest of my stack), I shall be sorely tempted.

Regarding the first of your presets, is there a reason for using a Flat preset rather than the bypass function?
Just when I want to try tweaking. Return to all flat then adjust. After I've had it for a while I suspect that preset will cease being useful. :)

Dec 12, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #14 of 265
Still experimenting. So far, I’ve found the Loki Max to be very effective in adding warmth to my LCD-5 by boosting the two lower frequencies. With my HE-1000SE, I tried taming the treble peaks by by trimming the two upper frequencies, but that seemed to round off some of the detail while making the sound a bit smoother. I kinda wish there were 8 dials of adjustment versus 6 for greater fine-tuning, but this equalizer is a remarkably silent and well-built machine.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #15 of 265
I think I've tried but just don't find the Loki a fitting piece. I initially experimented with Ragnarok as it's a problematic amplifier with too much edge in the upper octaves, however, moving to the CFA3 the Loki's transparency is too impacted and doesn't provide a meaningful shift in sound for me. LCD-5 benefits a little in adding body although it doesn't fill the gaps enough. The TC is simply too revealing and in all but cutting results in a muddying.

So I'll list it and hope the next finds the enjoyment they're looking for.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back