Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Aug 29, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #271 of 6,472
Aug 29, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #272 of 6,472
This summer I got Bimby & Lyr, I wonder if I may have gone this route instead...? Probably. No regrets though, I am enjoying the tubes!

Aug 29, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #273 of 6,472
A few updates and answers to questions:

We shipped just about all of the US voltage Jotunheim orders that we received over the weekend.  We cut off shipping at around noon Pacific today, if your order came in around that time or after we'll ship tomorrow.

The 220 - 240v units will start going out tomorrow.  Sorry for the delay.  We are very careful to keep different voltage units apart during building, burn-in, and testing to avoid voltage mix-ups.  The first batch of 230s are in sound check now and will be ready to go in the morning.

We will try to get Jotunheim over to our distributors as quickly as possible.  We just started our production run less than 9 days ago and we are still building inventory. We will fill distributor orders once we have enough stock.  Please be nice to the folks over at our UK and Netherlands distributors, the lack of stock is our fault, not theirs.  Our list of official distributors can be found here:  http://schiit.com/faq/international.  Both schiit-europe.com (Sonority Audio in Netherlands) and schiit.eu.com (Electromod in the UK) are authorized distributors in excellent standing with Schiit.  We have a gentleman's agreement in place where our UK distributor won't ship to Netherlands and vice versa.

Aug 29, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #274 of 6,472

We shipped just about all of the US voltage Jotunheim orders that we received over the weekend.  We cut off shipping at around noon Pacific today, if your order came in around that time or after we'll ship tomorrow.

The 220 - 240v units will start going out tomorrow.  Sorry for the delay.  We are very careful to keep different voltage units apart during building, burn-in, and testing to avoid voltage mix-ups.  The first batch of 230s are in sound check now and will be ready to go in the morning.

We will try to get Jotunheim over to our distributors as quickly as possible.  We just started our production run less than 9 days ago and we are still building inventory. We will fill distributor orders once we have enough stock.  Please be nice to the folks over at our UK and Netherlands distributors, the lack of stock is our fault, not theirs.  Our list of official distributors can be found here:  http://schiit.com/faq/international.  Both schiit-europe.com (Sonority Audio in Netherlands) and schiit.eu.com (Electromod in the UK) are authorized distributors in excellent standing with Schiit.  We have a gentleman's agreement in place where our UK distributor won't ship to Netherlands and vice versa.

Thanks for the update. Can't wait for mine but will have to wait till tomorrow since I ordered a 230.

Aug 29, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #275 of 6,472

Appreciate the updates Alex, thanks a lot. Hopefully I speak for others when I say I wouldn't hassle/blame you nor the European dealers for a couple days of delay when it comes to having Jotunheims to ship on demand - glad to hear the 230vs will start getting shipped out tomorrow, hopefully I'll manage to snag one from Sonority before I go on holiday Wednesday. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 29, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #276 of 6,472
I'm interested. Having just one unit instead of 2 is helpful and it means less cables (who doesn't hate cables?). From what i've seen, it can drive some of those heavy weights like the HD800S. I must admit i'm surprised. Well done Schiit

P.D. It seems as of lately as if "modular" was the new catchphrase. Gotta add it somewhere in your profile Jason 
biggrin.gif
 !

Aug 29, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #277 of 6,472

Mileage may vary, but in my case it was a few (or more) months.

Yeah, I was around 5 months.  Beautiful quality and still happy with the purchase.  Wasn't in any rush so wasn't bothered by it.  Trevor was very responsive about the delays.

Aug 29, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #278 of 6,472

Here is a link to the manufacturer of the AK4490 chip being used.

tl:dr 
[Features]

1.    256x Over Sampling Stereo D/A Converter
2.    32-bit 8x Digital Filter
3.    Sampling Rate: 30kHz~768kHz
4.    Low Distortion Full Differential Output
5.    SCF
6.    De-emphasis Filter
7.    Soft Mute
8.    DSD Input (2.8MHz, 5.6MHz, 11.2MHz)
9.    External Digital Filter Mode
10.  THD+N: -112dB
11.  DR, S/N: 120dB
12.  Power Supply: Analog: 4.75~5.25V, Digital: 2.7~3.6V

Copied and pasted directly from their site. It remains to be seen if Schiit will take advantage of all the features.

Hi Alex, Can you please enlighten us with the Balanced Dac implementation if it will be able to utilize the chip features above(especially DSD)? Very curious to know.

Thank you!

Aug 30, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #281 of 6,472
  The Jotty DAC will never support DSD. Read any of Baldr or Jason's posts about DSD – or their recent press release regarding MQA – to understand why.

Probably correct....but it'd be good to verify directly from them or anyone who already has a Joty with DAC module in their hands.

Aug 30, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #283 of 6,472
  Probably correct....but it'd be good to verify directly from them or anyone who already has a Joty with DAC module in their hands.

It's been already confirmed by Schiit in numerous threads so many times that I've lost count. But some people just keep asking about it over and over again..

Aug 30, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #284 of 6,472
I believe Jason said DSD or any other format would need to have significant market share. That makes sense for a company like schiit.

I believe DSD represent less than 1% of music sold.

That aside, can anyone explain or post a link to a good explanation of a fully differential DAC? It's not dual mono, I think. Does it mean one chip decodes both channels' positive, the other decodes both channels' negative? Hence the differential.

Aug 30, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #285 of 6,472
  Are you holding out hope that Schiit will change their minds?

I am probably doubly delusional that:

1. I can appreciate meaningful difference between DSD and 24 Bit FLAC (through my iDSD Micro)
2. That Schiit may change their minds with the Joty DAC module AK4490 chip implememtation.

Based on the above responses in this thread, the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy have have both advised me to stand down and not ask again. I will follow that advise. No Schiit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back