Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 4, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #543 of 6,472
Any comparisons vs Chord Mojo? Similiar price and all.

I have both. The Mojo DAC is miles ahead of the Jodie DAC module. The Mojo has a very, very clean SE output that drives most hp's quite well. If you care about DSD, Mojo will and Jodie won't.

The Jodie offers much greater flexibility in terms of connections and has a LOT more power. In order to get close to the Mojo DAC, you would need at least a Bimby. Jodie and Bimby will run you $1,000; Mojo is $600.

Obviously, Mojo is highly portable; Jodie not so much...

hope that helps you, @Delayeed .

Sep 4, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #545 of 6,472
  I have both. The Mojo DAC is miles ahead of the Jodie DAC module. The Mojo has a very, very clean SE output that drives most hp's quite well. If you care about DSD, Mojo will and Jodie won't.

The Jodie offers much greater flexibility in terms of connections and has a LOT more power. In order to get close to the Mojo DAC, you would need at least a Bimby. Jodie and Bimby will run you $1,000; Mojo is $600.

hope that helps you, @Delayeed .

Thank you! I guess I'll keep my Mojo until I can afford something way better. 

Sep 4, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #547 of 6,472

hope that helps you, @Delayeed

I have read some A/B between Mimby and Bimby and people can't really tell much difference (with some slightly preferring Mimby). If one wants to save money they can grab a Mimby/Jodie combo for $650 and have a damn fine end game setup.

Sep 4, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #548 of 6,472

My $0.02 - If you already have a Bifrost, I don't see any advantage to buying Momby over doing the multibit upgrade. All the multibit parts are going to be the same, but the Bifrost has a better power situation since there's more room to work with.

Unless you want to downsize and have a smaller footprint on the desk or you want to sell the Bifrost to fund the Momby purchase and potentially save a little money, I don't really see any reason not to upgrade the Bifrost.  (Plus, you'd retain the option to upgrade the Bifrost again down the line if @Baldr comes up with another innovation for it.)

I would agree. Upgrade the Bifrost...

Sep 4, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #549 of 6,472
Which one did you prefer and what are the pros and cons between them? @Merrick

Currently deciding between upgradingy bifrost or buying Mombi.

My $0.02 - If you already have a Bifrost, I don't see any advantage to buying Momby over doing the multibit upgrade. All the multibit parts are going to be the same, but the Bifrost has a better power situation since there's more room to work with.

Unless you want to downsize and have a smaller footprint on the desk or you want to sell the Bifrost to fund the Momby purchase and potentially save a little money, I don't really see any reason not to upgrade the Bifrost.  (Plus, you'd retain the option to upgrade the Bifrost again down the line if @Baldr
 comes up with another innovation for it.)

The difference is money. Selling the Bigfoot and buying a mimby (it's mimby, folks) is more of a swap. Buying the MB upgrade is a $250 additional expense.

Sep 4, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #551 of 6,472
The difference is money. Selling the Bigfoot and buying a mimby (it's mimby, folks) is more of a swap. Buying the MB upgrade is a $250 additional expense.

It may be an additional expense, however the Biforst is still fully upgrade-able.  And when Schiit has their next breakthrough may it be 3rd gen USB or possibly an even better multibit board you can upgrade.  And it still has a far better power supply.  Much better than any wall wart.

And in the end Mimby will still be just another disposable DAC when technology moves on...

Sep 4, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #552 of 6,472
Lots of gear changes coming in my different setups.  I wanted to give a few impressions of the amp before too many variables changed.  The amp out of the box sounded strident.  I let it cook overnight and came back the next morning.  Better.  Something still strange.  I think this amp is just really revealing of upstream source.  I took my Bimby and threw in a Wyrd.  There.  Much better.  One thing I found again is my HD600 and HD650 really (to me) sound better single ended.  I had that experience with several other amps.  I think perhaps the brute force this amp unleashes may push the already lush mids and upper bass too forward on some recordings.  Just my two cents.  Both are still good.  That said, I'm very impressed with this amp.  I'll be bringing my Yggy back into the office and out of my speaker system to see how much this amp scales with improved sources.  So far, I've tried all my cans in my list.  Each one of them sounded fantastic.  So, right now with single ended in and out, I've got plenty of juice to power all my SE cans.  

Sep 4, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #553 of 6,472
It may be an additional expense, however the Biforst is still fully upgrade-able.  And when Schiit has their next breakthrough may it be 3rd gen USB or possibly an even better multibit board you can upgrade.  And it still has a far better power supply.  Much better than any wall wart.

And in the end Mimby will still be just another disposable DAC when technology moves on...

It's just as disposable as the old Bifrost boards...

Sep 4, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #554 of 6,472
  Lots of gear changes coming in my different setups.  I wanted to give a few impressions of the amp before too many variables changed.  The amp out of the box sounded strident.  I let it cook overnight and came back the next morning.  Better.  Something still strange.  I think this amp is just really revealing of upstream source.  I took my Bimby and threw in a Wyrd.  There.  Much better.  One thing I found again is my HD600 and HD650 really (to me) sound better single ended.  I had that experience with several other amps.  I think perhaps the brute force this amp unleashes may push the already lush mids and upper bass too forward on some recordings.  Just my two cents.  Both are still good.  That said, I'm very impressed with this amp.  I'll be bringing my Yggy back into the office and out of my speaker system to see how much this amp scales with improved sources.  So far, I've tried all my cans in my list.  Each one of them sounded fantastic.  So, right now with single ended in and out, I've got plenty of juice to power all my SE cans.  

What amp did you use before? Comparisons are always welcome. 

Sep 4, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #555 of 6,472

What amp did you use before? Comparisons are always welcome. 

Primarily the Cavalli LC at home.  I try to avoid comparisons since I swap gear often depending on mood and musical style.  What I may find minor differences in enjoyment/sound may be a dealbreaker for someone else, and vice versa.  The LC seemed probably to be the closest in terms or price and capability on the amp side (e.g. ~$500 bucks, balanced, reasonably powerful, relatively compatible with most headphones).  The LC is more laid back.  Different house sound than Schiit.  I enjoy both.  See my amp list on my profile.  I may line this amp up to one or two others tomorrow and use the Yggy to get a more clear picture of what the amps are doing.  It depends on how much time I get to enjoy on Labor Day.  If there's one in particular, let me know.  I'll try to accommodate if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back