Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Oct 3, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #1,577 of 6,472
Absolutely zero pop/noise when turning on the Jot. HD650s plugged into Balanced output. Mine is the amp only. I'm wondering if having the DAC module makes it pop...

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #1,578 of 6,472
That would be cool because both my wife and I would be able to listen to music together. However wouldn't the Balanced headphone output be louder due to the higher power being supplied to that output?

I'm sure some (near-)perfect pairing exists consisting of a headphone (utilizing the balanced out) that would require a lot more juice to really sing than whatever you've got plugged into the SE output, that would hopefully result in similar volume levels out of both outputs.

I hope they ship the order to the Headphone Bar in Vancouver so that I can order one up here.

No affiliation, but they should be in stock there soon (within a week or so, hopefully). I inquired myself a week ago.

Oct 3, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #1,579 of 6,472
So I have an opportunity to recable my T90 into XLR for the Jotunheim but it's gonna run me $150. I'm not interested in doing it myself.

Is the balanced connection really that superior to single ended? What are some characteristics of the balanced HP out of the Jotunheim other than "its louder"?

Oct 3, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #1,580 of 6,472
So I have an opportunity to recable my T90 into XLR for the Jotunheim but it's gonna run me $150. I'm not interested in doing it myself.

Is the balanced connection really that superior to single ended? What are some characteristics of the balanced HP out of the Jotunheim other than "its louder"?

Yep. Balanced is not about volume, it's about better clarity, dynamics, stereo separation. Yes, you get 4x the power too and common mode noise rejection, so an even lower noise floor. 

Oct 3, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #1,582 of 6,472

Might as well sell the T90 and get a T1. I happen to have one, if you are interested. Also, I re-terminated it to balanced 

:)

Oct 3, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #1,583 of 6,472
Hello.

I just ordered the Jot last week, anyone got Bifrost with Uber setup?  What is your impression of sound with uber?  I'm asking because should I upgrade to M.B or not....Yes, I'm going to later but I like to know your opinion...

Thank you

Oct 3, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #1,584 of 6,472
I just ordered HD650's (and a balanced cable) to go with the Jotunheim. I've enjoyed the Grado PS1000e with the Jot, but there are times the brightness of that headphone just becomes fatiguing. I thought about sending the PS1000e to Moon Audio and having them balanced, but I'm not sure that would make a difference? Probably make it even worse (the brightness). I didn't notice the brightness so much with the WA7 amp (which I still have). So I might have to set it back up as well. 

But, in the meantime, I wanted to find a headphone that would pair better with the Jot (Especially since I love what the Jot has done with my speaker systems). So I went ahead and ordered the HD650, so I'll get a chance to see what everyone is talking about. I've read lots of good stuff about the HD650 that's for sure. Both on this thread and its main thread. One poster said by running it balanced with the Jot, it sounds really amazing, and that's what I'm looking for, with not as much treble fatigue (as I'm getting from the PS1000e and I've read people get with the HD800s). I have a set of AH-D2000's too, and in some ways I was preferring them over the PS1000e with the Jot. They are darker of course, and have quite a lot of bass. They don't have the sound stage and detail of the PS1000e, but they were easier on the ears without that brightness. I'm hoping the HD650 can be a sort of "endgame" for me, at least for the next couple of years. I really want to hear/and thought about trying to buy the Focal Utopia with a balanced cable and hearing it through the Jot, but I'm not ready to climb that 4000 foot mountain as of yet if you know what I mean.

The 650 sounds like a good solid headphone. It once was Sennheiser's flagship I read someplace. Gosh, people with otherwise expensive stuff, like 7000 dollar amps, I've read in their profiles they're using the 650 as their main headphone, or one of them.

So here goes, got my fingers crossed! I hope, as others have posted that they are a match made in heaven with the Jot (and the mimby feeding the Jot as the DAC)

Oct 3, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #1,585 of 6,472

Not really, IMO unless one expects this.

Oct 3, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #1,586 of 6,472
  I just ordered HD650's (and a balanced cable) to go with the Jotunheim. I've enjoyed the Grado PS1000e with the Jot, but there are times the brightness of that headphone just becomes fatiguing. I thought about sending the PS1000e to Moon Audio and having them balanced, but I'm not sure that would make a difference? Probably make it even worse (the brightness). I didn't notice the brightness so much with the WA7 amp (which I still have). So I might have to set it back up as well. 

But, in the meantime, I wanted to find a headphone that would pair better with the Jot (Especially since I love what the Jot has done with my speaker systems). So I went ahead and ordered the HD650, so I'll get a chance to see what everyone is talking about. I've read lots of good stuff about the HD650 that's for sure. Both on this thread and its main thread. One poster said by running it balanced with the Jot, it sounds really amazing, and that's what I'm looking for, with not as much treble fatigue (as I'm getting from the PS1000e and I've read people get with the HD800s). I have a set of AH-D2000's too, and in some ways I was preferring them over the PS1000e with the Jot. They are darker of course, and have quite a lot of bass. They don't have the sound stage and detail of the PS1000e, but they were easier on the ears without that brightness. I'm hoping the HD650 can be a sort of "endgame" for me, at least for the next couple of years. I really want to hear/and thought about trying to buy the Focal Utopia with a balanced cable and hearing it through the Jot, but I'm not ready to climb that 4000 foot mountain as of yet if you know what I mean.

The 650 sounds like a good solid headphone. It once was Sennheiser's flagship I read someplace. Gosh, people with otherwise expensive stuff, like 7000 dollar amps, I've read in their profiles they're using the 650 as their main headphone, or one of them.

So here goes, got my fingers crossed! I hope, as others have posted that they are a match made in heaven with the Jot (and the mimby feeding the Jot as the DAC)

It is an exceptional paring balanced, I would advise you put 100 Hours on the 650's before you judge them, they really open up after this time and sound nothing like they do on first listen.

Oct 3, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #1,589 of 6,472
   (Especially since I love what the Jot has done with my speaker systems). 

Other than the DAC, what value is the Jodie in the speaker chain? Or are you using it as a DAC for your speakers?

Oct 3, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #1,590 of 6,472
  Just FYI - The changing of the operating system to Sierra on my MacBook Pro did not change the static problem through the Jot.  Nice suggestion - but didn't work.  Guess will contact Schiit next week.  (Sorry I got some feathers ruffled up about being in this thread with my problem.  Just thought since my Jot was producing static, the Jot blog would be the place to get help.  Won't bother you again.)

I just ordered the Wyrd.  Will test it out to see if it fixes the problems on OSX that I've been having.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back