Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 13, 2024 at 8:18 PM Post #147,796 of 153,933
Having to dry my eyes having just listened to Jan Garbarek. This is my favourite track of all time. I’ve not heard this on my current rig until now.

I’m stunned at how utterly beautiful it is. The brass just gets me right in my heart.

I want to source a one handed saxophone so badly (long story but I’ll never be able to play a normal sax) so I can learn to play from scratch, but the cost and rarity means this is currently just a dream. One day I hope to make it a reality.

Apr 13, 2024 at 8:18 PM Post #147,797 of 153,933
it’s an incredible headphone amp. Period. As a speaker setup, I unfairly compared it to my Audio Analogue Absolute, and it was Bad News Bears vs ‘04 Sox.

Which amp? :confused:

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 8:28 PM Post #147,798 of 153,933
Get mellow with your Schiit with Jason's favorite Hill Country Wine:

IMG_20240413_184021792_HDR.jpg

Mike would say "while the bouquet is quite marvelous and it's fat full bodied on the palate it still sounds like ass!"

Hope you're doing ok Mike and safe to say without being too presumptuous all are wishing you well. :)

Apr 13, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #147,799 of 153,933
I do a lot of public outreach in astronomy in and near the city - the moon, Jupiter, Saturn, and a couple of nice bright nebula (with proper filters on the lenses) are fine observing targets for city dwellers. Watching the changing positions over a few minutes or hours of Jupiter's 4 brightest moons, or seeing the rings of Saturn always gets people excited.
A local hobby astronomer who oversees the observatory at a brewery on the edge of town (Worthy Brewing) often sets some scopes up in a small public space downtown Bend and encourages random passersby to view various objects. Even through the relatively minor din of Bend's city lights, there is much for them to see.

Worthy Hopservatory
Seeing it might currently be closed.

Apr 13, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #147,800 of 153,933
A local hobby astronomer who oversees the observatory at a brewery on the edge of town (Worthy Brewing) often sets some scopes up in a small public space downtown Bend and encourages random passersby to view various objects. Even through the relatively minor din of Bend's city lights, there is much for them to see.

Worthy Hopservatory
That sounds like an awesome place.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #147,801 of 153,933
I'm partial to Pine Tree Audio's ribbons. I have both the Shadow and Rainbow. My impression is that the Shadow was slightly better.
I asked Jeff at Blue Jeans Cable to make me a pair of 2M "Octo Quads"; two lengths of Canare Belden 1310A "StarQuad" encased in a very nice Techflex sheath. Locking bananas, and assembled to allow extra flexibility on the amp end... those darned Tyr terminals are a distance apart. They sound like absolutely nothing at all, and that was the design concept. He also built the terminal jumpers for me. Really gorgeous work, @Paladin79 quality... <g>

Star Quad X 2.jpeg

Nice people over at Pine Tree.
Same with BJC. And if you need a headphone cable, try Corpse Cable. Nice people there, too, and great quality.

*** edit: Not Canare, Belden 1310A "star quad". Sorry, was looking at a Canare cable when I messed that up...

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 8:33 PM Post #147,802 of 153,933

Worthy Hopservatory
What a shame. Looked to be a pretty cool place. :frowning2:

Apr 13, 2024 at 9:01 PM Post #147,803 of 153,933
Time to start looking into a sensible headphone cable upgrade from my current audeze balanced cable (can’t recall model, though it is flat and reminds me of the old ribbon cables for PC peripherals).

Keen to find a pliable 2.5m cable that isn’t audible when it moves.

I want to enhance the warmth and bass capabilities of LCD-3. I want to avoid thinning or brightening the sound profile.

Any suggestions please? Need to keep to £200 but maybe I’ll push to £300 (if my wife doesn’t kick my arse 😂)

Toxic Cables seem like a brand to look at though there’s a tonne of variation between models/versions.

Thx.
Really like Corpse Cable's GraveDigger. I have a set on my HD600s. Lovely and physically quiet, too.

Apr 13, 2024 at 9:17 PM Post #147,805 of 153,933
Some might say an unbridled Mustang is a ludicrous pun. Not me tho... I'd never horse around with important marketing terms. 🤣
Don't laugh ....
IMG_7805.jpeg

Apr 13, 2024 at 9:18 PM Post #147,806 of 153,933
Really like Corpse Cable's GraveDigger. I have a set on my HD600s. Lovely and physically quiet, too.
... especially without 🎼 ... 😂

Apr 13, 2024 at 9:20 PM Post #147,807 of 153,933
[ Like 👍🏻 ] [ Like 👍🏻 ] [ Like 👍🏻 ] [ Like 👍🏻 ] [ Like 👍🏻 ] [ Like 👍🏻 ] [ Like 👍🏻 ] [ Like 👍🏻 ] [ Like 👍🏻 ] [ Like 👍🏻 ] [ Like 👍🏻 ] [ Like 👍🏻 ] [ Like 👍🏻 ] [ Like 👍🏻 ] [ Like 👍🏻 ] [ Like 👍🏻 ] [ Like 👍🏻 ] [ Like 👍🏻 ] [ Like 👍🏻 ] [ Like 👍🏻 ] [ Like 👍🏻 ] [ Like 👍🏻 ] [ Like 👍🏻 ] [ Like 👍🏻 ] [ Like 👍🏻 ] [ Like 👍🏻 ] [ Like 👍🏻 ] [ Like 👍🏻 ] [ Like 👍🏻 ] [ Like 👍🏻 ] [ Like 👍🏻 ]

(My "solution" for the "needs more like buttons" "problem.")
[LIKE^5] achieves the same, no?

Apr 13, 2024 at 9:21 PM Post #147,808 of 153,933
HA!

IMG_1909.jpeg

Apr 13, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #147,809 of 153,933
Apr 13, 2024 at 9:25 PM Post #147,810 of 153,933
Norah Jones - "Feels Like Home"

CD via Urd Unison -> MiB. What a voice, and what a recording! :star::star::star::star::star:

norah - feels like home CD.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back