Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 11, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #147,421 of 154,466
I pay cash for my cars, and I understand depreciation. I buy reliable cars that last for 10+ years. I hate monthly payments. That money needs to be invested in the markets so it can appreciate. Never had a lease in my life except for an apartment, and that was just five years. Still, I do understand wanting to have the latest tech in the garage. I always look for reliability first in a vehicle. YMMV, as always. :)

Apr 11, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #147,422 of 154,466
It sounds reasonable except my speaker amps are on the ground floor. Upstairs it is headphones and their amps.🤪
Well, I gave you the idea. I am certain that you can create a scenario where room changes would require headphone system adjustments, given your outstanding artistic creativity.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apr 11, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #147,425 of 154,466
I gave up on Fords decades ago, as well as some GM cars. I had a Chrysler 300 on lease that I loved but buyout was too high.
My last Ford (other than company vehicles) was an 84 1/2 Anniversary edition GT-350 Mustang. 200 HP which is pretty anemic these days but was a LOT back then. Just one teeny issue with it -- if you mashed the accelerator close to the floor it would stick. Wide open. Switch off ignition, coast to a stop, open hood, yank on the cable linkage to pop it loose. Lather, rinse, repeat. Took it to the dealer close to where I worked, and they refused to do any warranty work on it because I'd bought it from another dealer. Called the other dealer, and was told it would be approximately a month before they could fit it in to their schedule. Got in touch with Ford themselves, and they basically told me to deal with it. Nothing they could (or better said: would) do. A mechanic buddy of mine looked at it and fixed it, saying it had been installed improperly and was binding. But being shunned by two dealers and the factory people themselves for a very serious safety issue turned me off to Fords forever. Yup, one car and one person's bad experience doesn't condemn a brand, just did for me.

Apr 11, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #147,427 of 154,466
My last Ford (other than company vehicles) was an 84 1/2 Anniversary edition GT-350 Mustang. 200 HP which is pretty anemic these days but was a LOT back then. Just one teeny issue with it -- if you mashed the accelerator close to the floor it would stick. Wide open. Switch off ignition, coast to a stop, open hood, yank on the cable linkage to pop it loose. Lather, rinse, repeat. Took it to the dealer close to where I worked, and they refused to do any warranty work on it because I'd bought it from another dealer. Called the other dealer, and was told it would be approximately a month before they could fit it in to their schedule. Got in touch with Ford themselves, and they basically told me to deal with it. Nothing they could (or better said: would) do. A mechanic buddy of mine looked at it and fixed it, saying it had been installed improperly and was binding. But being shunned by two dealers and the factory people themselves for a very serious safety issue turned me off to Fords forever. Yup, one car and one person's bad experience doesn't condemn a brand, just did for me.
I used to have one of those, for about a month, before I rolled it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apr 11, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #147,428 of 154,466
I followed Bird, he was at IU for a short time but did not fit in well. Another favorite was Pistol Pete Maravich. Only three years of college ball and no three point shot and he averaged 44.2 points a game. Caitlin Clark broke his scoring record in four years with 503 three point shots made. A 54 year old record.
I visited French Lick, Indiana once. Many years ago I bought a T-Shirt from “French Lick Harley-Davidson”. The countryside was quite nice and the people were friendly too but I did get tired of hearing “You shore gotta purely mouth”…:scream:

Apr 11, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #147,429 of 154,466
Exactly. The ability to have the latest automotive tech in my garage, under warranty, makes leasing the best deal for me. Plus, I can write some of it off for business use.

When people say "I always pay cash for my cars", I know that they don't understand depreciation. If I was a Tesla owner who bought a Model Y for $67K, I'd be totally PO'ed after the price cuts and the nearly asymptotic one-year depreciation.
Any particular car will depreciate the same whether you pay cash or take out a loan to buy it. Leasing has advantages too depending on the situation. I've always purchased with 4 year loans, and then driven the car until it dies a natural death or falls victim to death-by-wife. 🤣 Between the RX-8 and RX-330, I went over 11 years without a car payment. It does, however, suck when it comes time for that monthly payment you're not used to...

Apr 11, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #147,431 of 154,466
Not a car but it is from 1958

Attachments

• IMG_8969.JPG
    IMG_8969.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 0
Apr 11, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #147,432 of 154,466
Apr 11, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #147,433 of 154,466
I pay cash for my cars, and I understand depreciation. I buy reliable cars that last for 10+ years. I hate monthly payments. That money needs to be invested in the markets so it can appreciate. Never had a lease in my life except for an apartment, and that was just five years. Still, I do understand wanting to have the latest tech in the garage. I always look for reliability first in a vehicle. YMMV, as always. :)
This. I used to lease heavy duty equipment, they are making the same margin, there are some scenarios where either model makes more sense for the consumer. I bought a new Telluride cash a year ago because the interest rates and the length of time I plan to own, and my annual estimated mileage and my view of the residual value. I don't love how confident people make sweeping, simplified statements...

Apr 11, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #147,434 of 154,466
On my work trip through my ancestral lands of Ohio, got to take my child and wife to the eclipse at the home opener in Cleveland (and have the greatest of local foods, Swenson's Galley Boy), endure Columbus, and be rewarded in Cincinnati with the recently maligned Skyline. Nobody is saying it wins Michelin awards, it is fast/comfort food!

20240411_121828.jpg

Apr 11, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #147,435 of 154,466
My wife and I will be shopping for a new car this summer (we've been recently having to make do with cheap/used/barely reliable for all the years she was running through grad school to become a licensed therapist) and I've always been keen on the idea of leasing a new car that is always under warranty. No car is built well these days and I hate constant repair bills just to keep an older car running.

I know I'll pay a little more up front each month for the pleasure and relative peace of mind of a new warrantied car but that will be a fixed number worked into the budget instead of the random and potentially prohibitively high cost of random repair surprises. I dislike those.
The only unscheduled maintenance I've ever had with a lease was a flat battery. Replaced by the dealer at no cost to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back