Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 22, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #140,596 of 153,440
I tend to use Belden 1694A with Canare connectors. 😉 I still own a set of tools to install those connectors,

I have yet to pull the trigger on naturally aged/fermented soy sauce, but that day will arrive as soon as life slows down enough for me to take the time to prepare and enjoy meals worthy of such an experience...

My life now consists of providing home daycare for 2 energetic small children, working a 50+ hour a week job, caring for three kids & a dog, helping my wife navigate the physical and mental challenges of cancer, anxiety, depression, cooking, cleaning, house maintenance, and some civic/community responsibilities.

Life leaves little time for relaxing endeavors. I try took to cook real, healthy, meals as much as I can, but speed, quality, value are the focus these days.

Such is life.

Thank god music is compatible with a desk job and much of this life. Schiit, this thread, and the friends made through here is a life saver.
You haven't donated an organ? Selfish bastad. (spell it correctly, it changes to "person"):wink:

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 8:53 PM Post #140,597 of 153,440
Oh man, I would sooo love to hit the dreaded ATC button for a Yggy. However, I'm tapped due to Kara, Urd, Lokius and a pair of Tyrs at the moment.
I guess I'll have to live with my Cal Audio Labs Alpha (OG) for now.

Time for a margarita...grande size.
I'd purchase a Yggy if Schiit would introduce a double stacked chassis. I don't have room on my desk for 16" components. I'm satisfied for the moment with by bifrost 64. My next upgrade needs to be no wider than 10". There's lots of choices. I hope Schiit can compete.

Feb 22, 2024 at 8:57 PM Post #140,599 of 153,440
I'd purchase a Yggy if Schiit would introduce a double stacked chassis. I don't have room on my desk for 16" components. I'm satisfied for the moment with by bifrost 64. My next upgrade needs to be no wider than 10". There's lots of choices. I hope Schiit can compete.
Yggy is a complex system with a complex power supply. It takes space/volume to package that. Yggy does not compete with compact sized products.

Feb 22, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #140,600 of 153,440
I knew I was missing something. I've got blue, green and purple.
You are doomed.🤪 Seriously it is based on the color of designated RCA jacks, just as composite video was yellow. More for endusers than someone who understands the differences like yourself.

Feb 22, 2024 at 9:28 PM Post #140,601 of 153,440
... ** As for your Dr. finding your heart -- I'd ask for a 2nd opinion. :D
It suddenly occurs to me: perhaps @sam6550a is a Time Lord or Vulcan. For the former, he'd want to hide the second heart and for the latter I could understand the Dr's confusion...

P.S. best speed on recovery, @sam6550a

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 9:36 PM Post #140,602 of 153,440
Cuban espresso has sugar. That's how I was raised and the only way I drink espresso. :p

Un Cafecito, por favor.

1708616798805.png
Yum!

“Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love.”​

― Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord

Feb 22, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #140,604 of 153,440
Speaking of guac, the Hass variety of avocados was first grown in a small grove in the city of La Habra Heights, not far from me.
My cousin had an avocado tree next to her front driveway. When ripe, the avocados were maybe 8-10in long and smoothed skin, weighing a pound?
What kind would those be?

Tying this back to coffee, to harvest the avocados, because they would explode on impact, a very large version of a coffee sock would be used:
coffee sock.png

Feb 22, 2024 at 9:48 PM Post #140,605 of 153,440
... a coffee snob who just schiited on the way I store my coffee beans ... I don't freeze by coffee beans ...
Other things aside, my understanding is that a true coffee-ista would be horrified if you did freeze your coffee beans. Intellectually, I can't imagine the toll freezing would take on the fine oils that coffee holds. But I'm not that kind of coffee-ista to know for sure.

Feb 22, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #140,606 of 153,440
... Dynaudio Excite X14 i... I heard the Lumina III at the local dealer and really liked their mid range and the extra scale you get with the larger speakers....
Never heard Dynaudio - I have heard Sonus Faber. My impression from the internets is that the Dynaudio line is a bit analytical for a speaker? Kind of the polar opposite of a Sonus Faber?

Feb 22, 2024 at 9:59 PM Post #140,607 of 153,440
I have this one when travelling around. Bought in Finland many years ago, made from recycling material, never taste like ass even with hot espresso.

Screenshot 2024-02-22 at 14.58.13.png
... OK, it's one thing for a crappy tube to 'sound like ass' .... butt for something to 'taste like ass' 😳 .... is this 🫵 expertise? 😝😖

Feb 22, 2024 at 10:06 PM Post #140,608 of 153,440
I hate to say it, but we are a rapidly dying breed.
Heck, I cannot even find anyone that wants my test equipment, tube amps, parts, etc., when I expire!
Yes, it appears that few people want to build or repair electronics anymore. I'm sure all my parts and equipment will end up in a dumpster or maybe a Goodwill store. Pity, that is.

Feb 22, 2024 at 10:14 PM Post #140,609 of 153,440
THIS.

Feb 22, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #140,610 of 153,440
As someone who has spent a rather significant amount of his life in a small village in northern Italy at a restaurant that's predominantly serving locals, I think I'm in a reasonably decent position to say:
Real Italians drink their espresso any god-damned way they like. Black, milk, sugar, cream … doesn't matter.
I'm sure that actual Italians (as opposed to a wannabe part-time South Tyrolean such as myself) like @Pietro Cozzi Tinin will be happy to confirm that.

That said, snooty espresso snobs exist in Italy just as much as elsewhere. Maybe the author of that article mistook those for "real Italians"?

As with audio, the same advice applies to espresso — or any other hobby, vice, lifestyle, belief, kink, whatever:
As long as it doesn't impede on others doing the same, do whatever blows your hair back. ✌️😎
If I had to choose between Bavaria or northern Italy, the choice wouldn't be difficult. To further narrow it down, my choice would be Val D'Aosta. Purely based on beauty of the landscapes, hiking options, food, etc. I don't know how practical or unpractical it is to live in that corner.

If my mother tongue would have been German instead of Dutch, of course then South Tyrol is the logical choice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back