Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 26, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #137,551 of 153,412
Boeing - Bits Of Engine In Neighbor’s Garden
My bro'-in-law might take exception to that. He was a quality engineer at GE's jet engine facility in Albuquerque for about 15 years. Whenever I would make a jab about GE, his usual retort was "How many planes outfitted with GE engines have you died in so far?" If I'd make up a number, he somehow always knew I was lying. 🤣

Jan 26, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #137,552 of 153,412
Evaluating music with my eyes:
needledrop of The English Beat - What is Beat 1983
Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 11.21.28 PM.png
The "fake" Albinoni I really love, Tomaso Albinoni – Albinoni Adagio - 1987
Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 11.23.02 PM.png

It's like musicians have forgotten "Music is the space between the notes." - Debussy
Hit Control F3 in Audacity to spread the graph. May paint a slightly different picture. Just sayin.... .

Jan 26, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #137,553 of 153,412
I'd guess better unless you're a basshead. Powered monitors often have "an amp" just for the woofer. The better ones have turned DSP for each driver; I imagine those are money :wink:

So budget and what would you consider a fair size? I have a pair of B&W M-1 I don't need.....

I'm not sure. I've had these same speakers for ages. Appreciate the offer, but I think I would just try the Deftechs first as they seem similar to the M-1.

Out of my Jot2 I’m using a Y splitter RCA male to two RCA female to then feed the amp and subwoofer. It took some listening to get the correct x-over frequency and level dialed in on the sub. I would also listen for periods with the sub off to ensure I wasn’t crossing over to high and over boosting the overlapping frequencies. I’ve used that approach numerous times when integrating subs with systems with no bass management capabilities. It works well and is similar to how REL integrates it’s sub except for speaker taps vs RCA inputs.

I bought the Aegir as there wasn’t a smaller amp option from Schiit at the time. The Aegir for me replaced a Emotiva A-100 miniX amp. I’m temped to try the REKKR or maybe the Gjallahorn if I move this around in the future.

I already stress out enough trying to figure out the correct crossover and levels on my home theater. I'm not sure I want to go through the same hassle with computer speakers.

Yes, the Rekkr will sound better than the built in often cheap class D self powered speaker.

I've not found powered speakers <$300 thar were anything special or good. You'd do better getting a used pair of good bookshelf speakers and a Rekkr IMHO.

I'm not sure what would be a good pair of used bookshelf speakers, though. Especially ones common enough to be easily found. That's really the big blocker for me going with a Rekkr.

I'm wondering if I should just try out the Deftechs and see how they sound and move to something else later when I've have more listening time. Hopefully that would help me better identify what I'd like. It would also give me a chance to test the Rekkr with my Elacs.

Jan 26, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #137,554 of 153,412
@Bowmoreman @adias thanks for the replies. Bow I just read your SBAF friends post too, that was helpful as well. Glad you found a synergy with skol. Yep, familiar with the DR6 and the ML comaprables. I come from a similar generation, more so Threshold, Forte', Pass for SS, and all-tube is a different chapter of the past decade. I rotate my SS gear in once in a while to give all-tube setup a break. Was about ready to mod and upgrade some older Forte' Audio or Threshold or Nakamichi preamps, and Kara caught my attention too as a piece to try and see if its truly a value or not. Looks good on paper, sure, yet as others have nudged me, gotta try it to know - in my system, tbd.

@Bowmoreman So one last question. about "good enough". Did you recap the DR6 and are you keeping it or sending it on to the next lucky owner?
It’s another 5 months (+/-) in the “re-cap” queue with the technician I’m going to use…

I absolutely WILL re-cap it. Then re-race it when it’s not “gimped” (LOL). Then, make a decision. It is an EPIC Pre-amp (as is the DR9 Amp), especially for certain “types” of listeners. I’d like to say they’re PERFECT for planars, but don’t want to blue at all dismissive of other arenas (or not, fwiw). To my ears, they were by far the best for an Apogee/Analog LP system back in their day. For me. The direct compete that just lost was ARC SP11. At the time, I was using the all tube ARC SP3A and my Oracle…

I would *guess* at this juncture that once re-capped, I’ll likely sell it, but my wife may let me keep it for nostalgia. After all, after another 6 months with the remote control convenience of Kara, coupled with my just-purchased Koss ESP950’s via headphone on Kara… the DR-6 can’t “feature compete” anymore.

I always found the Threshold, Krell, and Forte’ stuff too bright for my tastes (back then) and 30 year-old ears. And, I found all the ML gear back then to just be too dark; again, THEN. Always loved every Pass I ever heard. But try to find affordable Pass to drive Apogees…. <grin>. To me, the Krell (especially) just didnt’ “work” right with my Apogees. My fellow traveler and friend with Martin Logans LOVE the interaction he got with his Krell KSA. (We would periodically swap gear - just never swapped speakers because #hassle).

But yeah, from THIS guys memory’s established over 30+ years on a system I know extremely well where NOTHING has changed…. Kara’s a player. I do still find the “graunching” sound of volume adjustment a bit jarring, but hey, we’re well down in the nitpicking weeds at this point.

My next Kara “task” is as the foundation to feed my literally-just-acquired-today Koss ESP950’s! <grin>

Jan 26, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #137,555 of 153,412
I bought the Aegir as there wasn’t a smaller amp option from Schiit at the time. The Aegir for me replaced a Emotiva A-100 miniX amp. I’m temped to try the REKKR or maybe the Gjallahorn if I move this around in the future.

This reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask the local Schittizens. If you were making the choice to go with 2xGjallarhorn or 1xAegir 1, which would you choose, and why? What are the variables that would sway you to make one choice over the other? The only notable difference I see on paper is that 2xGjallarhorn may not work as well for speakers with a more challenging impedance curve.

I've been considering buying one or the other lately, and it seems that the price/performance ratio between these two is very similar. For those who have heard both, feel free to add your subjective opinions. I would be running Gungnir Multibit A2>Freya-N>Amp(s) of choice>Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #137,556 of 153,412
My bro'-in-law might take exception to that. He was a quality engineer at GE's jet engine facility in Albuquerque for about 15 years. Whenever I would make a jab about GE, his usual retort was "How many planes outfitted with GE engines have you died in so far?" If I'd make up a number, he somehow always knew I was lying. 🤣
I've spent the last 10 years in the 737 and have only had one engine issue to speak of. It was a pretty good fuel leak at a high pressure pump and we wouldn't have known about it if it weren't for a fuel imbalance. The engine itself continued to run just fine. So, yeah, I'm a fan.
I can still poke fun when the opportunity arrises. :beerchug:

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #137,557 of 153,412
@Tbone289

Aegir and Gjallahorn are two fairly different use scenarios. On paper, the specs may seem similar, but the Aegir has a better power supply, more output devices, and is substantially bigger. If you have the space, getting a last call Aegir is probably the best move.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #137,558 of 153,412
@Tbone289

Aegir and Gjallahorn are two fairly different use scenarios. On paper, the specs may seem similar, but the Aegir has a better power supply, more output devices, and is substantially bigger. If you have the space, getting a last call Aegir is probably the best move.

Last call is $100 cheaper than original price, and no extra cost for Silver version.

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #137,559 of 153,412
I've spent the last 10 years in the 737 and have only had one engine issue to speak of. It was a pretty good fuel leak at a high pressure pump and we wouldn't have known about it if it weren't for a fuel imbalance. The engine itself continued to run just fine. So, yeah, I'm a fan.
I can still poke fun when the opportunity arrises. :beerchug:
ROFL. Me too. :smile: My last house in NC had all GE kitchen appliances when we bought it. Within the first 6 months, the built-in microwave died. Then the bottom heating element in the oven went crispy-crackly. Then the control panel for the dishwasher went out in a smoke-emitting huff. Then the plastic water tank in the 'fridge cracked, flooding the kitchen floor. I can't badger him about jet engines, but I have lots of fun with GE appliances. And, of course, tubes. 🤣

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #137,560 of 153,412
I'm not sure what would be a good pair of used bookshelf speakers, though. Especially ones common enough to be easily found. That's really the big blocker for me going with a Rekkr.

Using what you have speaker wise is the best bet. Worst case scenario you can use the Rekkr as a headphone amp.

I still stand behind Klipsch as a good used pair of speakers. They are not the last word in detail, but they are fun sounding speakers with solid bass. They are also very efficient.

Good luck in your journey.

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #137,561 of 153,412
ROFL. Me too. :smile: My last house in NC had all GE kitchen appliances when we bought it. Within the first 6 months, the built-in microwave died. Then the bottom heating element in the oven went crispy-crackly. Then the control panel for the dishwasher went out in a smoke-emitting huff. Then the plastic water tank in the 'fridge cracked, flooding the kitchen floor. I can't badger him about jet engines, but I have lots of fun with GE appliances. And, of course, tubes. 🤣
Be honest; you're actually David Letterman.

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #137,562 of 153,412
This reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask the local Schittizens. If you were making the choice to go with 2xGjallarhorn or 1xAegir 1, which would you choose, and why? What are the variables that would sway you to make one choice over the other? The only notable difference I see on paper is that 2xGjallarhorn may not work as well for speakers with a more challenging impedance curve.

I've been considering buying one or the other lately, and it seems that the price/performance ratio between these two is very similar. For those who have heard both, feel free to add your subjective opinions. I would be running Gungnir Multibit A2>Freya-N>Amp(s) of choice>Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1

I'd go with the Aegir. Within its class A rating it has displays an energy density unmatched by class AB amplifiers. Secondly, one 600VA xfmr will outperform two 80VA xfmrs.

:beerchug:
JC

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #137,563 of 153,412
Using what you have speaker wise is the best bet. Worst case scenario you can use the Rekkr as a headphone amp.

I still stand behind Klipsch as a good used pair of speakers. They are not the last word in detail, but they are fun sounding speakers with solid bass. They are also very efficient.

Good luck in your journey.

I already have a Magni for a headphone amp so being able to repurpose the Rekkr doesn't buy me anything. :D

I'll take a look around and see if I find anything interesting used locally. I want to say that the last time I looked the situation wasn't that great.

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #137,564 of 153,412
Last call is $100 cheaper than original price, and no extra cost for Silver version.
Thanks for mentioning that! I hadn't even noticed the free sliver "upgrade".

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #137,565 of 153,412

Users who are viewing this thread

Back